Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Shannon radar down again.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

It often goes down for a frame or two, as does the Dublin radar, not unusual.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭Comhrá

171170 wrote: »
    Big storm coming in so, naturally, it's down again!

I'm using the old ME site for radar and there was no break in transmission all morning . http://archive.met.ie/latest/rainfall_radar.asp

I checked the new site and there was indeed an interruption around 10am.

Maybe it's the ME site that's acting up?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,705 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Met Éireann 'praying and hoping' that Ireland's 'most important' rainfall radar stays online
    "The Shannon Radar was installed in 1996 so technologically wise it’s pretty old at this stage. We’re just praying and hoping that the current repairs will keep Shannon radar alive until we get it replaced.
    The south-east will get an extra one, a new one at Shannon, a new one in Dublin and then so one more perhaps in the Midlands or to the southwest of Ireland. We’re really excited about that.”

• Registered Users Posts: 5,803 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Can we have one on top of Kippure please, thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭ecowise

zell12 wrote: »

Relieved to see the NW was also included:

"As well as upgrades to two other radars, Met Éireann will add radars to two new locations in the coming years: one in the north-west and another in the south-east."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,731 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Wonder how far up in the North West.
    If we stick to airports we have Knock, Sligo (Home of another Coast Guard helicopter) or Donegal.
    I'm curious though, where in Northern Ireland do the UK met have radars? I mean there wouldn't be much point in Met Eireann putting a radar up in Donegal if there's one already in Derry.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

flazio wrote: »
    If we stick to airports we have Knock, Sligo (Home of another Coast Guard helicopter) or Donegal.
    I'm curious though, where in Northern Ireland do the UK met have radars? I mean there wouldn't be much point in Met Eireann putting a radar up in Donegal if there's one already in Derry.

They have 1 in Northern Ireland. The 'Belfast' radar us actually locates at Castor Bay, on the southeast shore of Lough Neagh.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭ecowise

flazio wrote: »

For reasons of location and topography Belmullet is probably the best option. Knock has mountains to the west which is the most relevant direction. Sligo airport is also disadvantaged by hills especially to the W-SW. A case could be made for Donegal airport but Belmullet has generally more favourable topography and is that bit further west. The same argument applies to Galway airport.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,783 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

The locations will be where there is existing government owned land to reduce any planning issues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

About time we got some new weather infrastructure in the South East. Poor relation as per usual.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,691 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

About time we got some new weather infrastructure in the South East. Poor relation as per usual.

And what disadvantage do you think you are suffering for the lack of a weather radar?

They'll probably go to put one on Forth Mountain or some spot only to have it opposed by nimbys.

Discodog wrote: »
    The locations will be where there is existing government owned land to reduce any planning issues.

The fact the land is State owned makes no difference to the planning issues. They could try and apply for new installations as Strategic Infrastructure, but I'm not sure that would hold up if tested in Court.

Larbre34 wrote: »
    The fact the land is State owned makes no difference to the planning issues. They could try and apply for new installations as Strategic Infrastructure, but I'm not sure that would hold up if tested in Court.

Maybe but it has to be easier than acquiring land. I'd imagine that Knock airport would be straightforward. Bellmulllet less so.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,352 ✭✭✭irishgeo

id stick in achill, it already has access road to a mountain with a load of tv masts and mobile phone masts on it assuming it doesnt need a weather station near it.

Is it not preferable to have it at sea level? Sligo airport maybe.

And what disadvantage do you think you are suffering for the lack of a weather radar?

They'll probably go to put one on Forth Mountain or some spot only to have it opposed by nimbys.

What kind of a question is that? Tell you what let's have one radar in Shannon and be done with it after all that works brilliantly doesn't it?

Is it not preferable to have it at sea level? Sligo airport maybe.

Why ? Surely the higher the better. Less ground interference.

What kind of a question is that? Tell you what let's have one radar in Shannon and be done with it after all that works brilliantly doesn't it?

You suggest the South East is the poor relation. I'm asking how so?

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Solli

Vested interests: The old radar always showed a particular major factory emissions. Wonder why they got rid of it?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

It seems it will be another 4 to 5 years before we have the new additional sites added!!

• Advertisement

Villain wrote: »
    It seems it will be another 4 to 5 years before we have the new additional sites added!!

I bet that will prove to be optimistic.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,352 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Discodog wrote: »
    I bet that will prove to be optimistic.

Thoughts and prayers for Shannon radar till then so.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Looks to be gone again

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Yep, appears to be missing a lot of the west coast, as usual.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭Comhrá

Same happened a couple of weeks ago on the new ME site. The old one is working fine.

http://archive.met.ie/latest/rainfall_radar.asp

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

Gone off again since 10.00

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Gone off again since 10.00

Was back by 11

• Registered Users Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Jpmarn

It seems the Rainfall radar page on Met.ie is gone wonky. Up until last night it was missing images for up to 90 minutes at a time. Since last night it is missing feeds from Shannon and Dublin airports at the moment with no coverage in the South West. But it is updating regularly. The north and east are covered by Belfast and Wales. The Rainfall Radar page on netweather.tv are still receiving feeds from both Irish airports.
    Edit The archive.met.ie are covering Shannon and Dublin Radar feeds.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

....also seems to be some anaprop showing up to both radars since yesterday evening.

• Advertisement

Blank again. POS.

Advertisement