Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Parish records at NLI

• 21-02-2018 10:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭

Silly question time:

I've been looking at various baptism & marriage records online and straining and struggling to make them out. While I've availed of the handwriting deciphering thread for one, there are simply too many to put on the thread. While some are perfectly clear, with good writing, exposure & contrast, etc, while others have been very badly photographed, with no text visible at all, or with camera shake/double image ghosting. My question is this...

If I make a visit to the NLI, what will I see there? Will it be just the same badly recorded microfilm images that I've already seen online, or are the actual parish register books held there?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

DamoRed wrote: »
    Silly question time:
    If I make a visit to the NLI, what will I see there? Will it be just the same badly recorded microfilm images that I've already seen online, or are the actual parish register books held there?

Yep. You will see the microfilms, often in worse condition, scratchy, wound back on the reels the wrong way, view-able on a poor quality microfilm reader (if one is available) in a dingy room.
    Reading the text gets easier in time, practice ............

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

I don't think the microfilms are available at all anymore. They have a bunch of computers in the genealogy room.

DamoRed, you're welcome to post as many handwriting queries in the handwriting thread as you like.

Genealogy Forum Mod

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement