Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"new" census & search records - general chat

2»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

OU812 wrote: »
    Following on from this post.

Have found a very probable listing of what would be my great, great, grandfather & it possibly his parents & his grandmother (which would be incredible) I'm a little confused over it though. It's the 1851 listing here and the mother is listed as Jane Thompson (age 66), but is listed as having died in 1846, so I can't work out why she's on it.

Thomas Larkin is possibly my GG Grandfather who is age 6 in this (by my records he was 10, so it's possible one or the other is wrong).

I'm almost totally convinced that it's him as there was apparently a family connection to Antrim & some of the names of 6 year old Thomas's siblings are repeated as his own kids names & are family names further down the line.

I also had a listing for a Jane (surname unknown) in the family whom I thought was Thomas's wife & she may have been his grandmother instead.

I'm nearly positive it's him & am considering "adopting" him for now at least.
    How do you know what their age is? I can't see it?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,033 ✭✭✭OU812

"age in years" is the third column in

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

owenc wrote: »
    How do I confirm these relatives in the 1851 census are mine though? I think i've finally worked out who my GGG father is but I have no evidence that this is actually him?

The same way as any other source - find more to back it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭KildareFan

I've managed to get through a brick wall with the 1851 Census extract, but the transcription is wrong. The pension application was for a woman who was a 'nurse child' in the household of my gg grandfather. His name is transcribed correctly, but the children have been given the surname of the nurse child. There is a 'Report Errors' button, but it doesn't allow you to specify what the error is so anyone searching for the children won't find them.

Still, I now have the names of all 8 gg grandparents, although unfortunately only the first names of two of the gg grandmothers.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,291 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Hi Hermy just found ur posts on the Pelly family my great great great gmother was Margaret Pelly (married to Daniel Guinan) Margaret was a sister of Dr James Pelly Eyrecourt Would love to discuss family tree

PM sent.:)

Genealogy Forum Mod

Well? Anybody? How can I search my county records?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Well? Anybody? How can I search my county records?

You are aware that there's only tiny fractions of those censuses available? So whatever you're finding for your county is all they have.

3 people!!

But I found my family in the other site so why are they not on this one??

3 people!!

But I found my family in the other site so why are they not on this one??

What "other site"?

• Advertisement

The abstracts one

Because the search forms were done before the originals were destroyed, that's why. If they're not on the 1851 site the originals are gone, end of.

So theres no way of seeing the age on the abstracts?

So theres no way of seeing the age on the abstracts?

If its not written on the image, no.

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Coolnabacky1873

Just giving this thread a bump as I saw they are now on Familysearch, as of 29th August.
    https://familysearch.org/search/collection/list/?page=1&countryId=1927084

Might get more joy from the Familysearch index search or via a combination of both.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Are they not already on the NAI census website?

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Coolnabacky1873

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    Are they not already on the NAI census website?

They are, just highlighting an alternative option. The Familysearch index search is pretty good and might throw up records more easily than NAI.

Advertisement