Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Help in dating old photo

• 10-04-2012 10:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭

Hi, just wonder would anyone know around what year this was taken. They're ancestors of mine from near Tullamore. The clothes might help, and are the crosses worn by 2 of them "pioneer pins"?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,614 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

I'd guess 1890-ish.
    The white cloths around their necks may be something religiousy - I'd get a priest to take a look.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

pinkypinky wrote: »
    I'd guess 1890-ish.
    The white cloths around their necks may be something religiousy - I'd get a priest to take a look.
    A very old priest!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

not sure of their ages - but my guess is a communion or confirmation photo ...

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭Jack C

Thanks for replies. Gosh, I was thinking around 1910 myself. If its 1890s then although the family resemblence is remarkable, they'er not who I thought they were.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

is there anything on the reverse of the photo ?

the photographer's name & address can sometimes help confirm a date ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

Jack C wrote: »
    Thanks for replies. Gosh, I was thinking around 1910 myself. If its 1890s then although the family resemblence is remarkable, they'er not who I thought they were.
    I'm not good on the history of clothing, but the jackets worn by three of the boys suggest the Edwardian era to me, as do the trousers they all seem to be wearing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 470 ✭✭CeannRua

OP, if you think you know who they are, can I suggest you post their dates of birth. It might be easier to find photos of similar date and compare the clothing. I know little of dating photos but do know that the easiest to date are of those of women as they are more inclined to keep up with fashions. With children, they may be wearing clothes handed down so would be more difficult to date. The two at either side in the front row are wearing the same suit but different collars...

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭Jack C

OK I thought they were all my Granmothers brothers of whom she had 7.
    Pat b. 1888
    John b. 1889
    Michael b. 1891
    William b. 1893
    Owen b. 1895
    Charlie b. 1897
    Joe b. 1900

There's nothing on the back but the one seated front left really resembles William based on later pictures.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,614 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

I think that's a good guess - obviously omitting the youngest two.

Sometimes with old photos, there comes a point where you just have decide it is or it isn't who you think. I have a matching pair of photos of a mid 60s/early 70s couple in late Victorian dress that I'm fairly sure are my great-great grandparents. There's a photo of what is definitely their daughter taken at the same studio. I'll never be 100% sure but have decided it's the only logical solution.

On the other hand, I've another that I'm confident is an ancestor due a strong family resemblance but am not sure enough to call it who I think it is.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Closed Accounts Posts: 470 ✭✭CeannRua

Jack C wrote: »

In 1910, these boys would have been 22, 21, 19, 17, 15, 13 and 10. Even if the photo showed the younger five boys, the boys shown look a bit young to be them in 1910. The tallest boy at the back looks to me to be no more than 14 (but I am rubbish at guessing ages)?? I had a look for some photos but didn't find many Irish photos of boys with definitive dates attached. The first one here is dated 1905 and the smallest child seems to be wearing something similar to the smallest boy in the OP's photo. Then in the other photo a couple of the boys in the front row are wearing what looks to be a similar outfit to the other boys in the front row but it's only dated circa 1910. I'd think circa 1905 as a date for the OP's photo but this is just based on ages.
    http://db.museumsofmayo.com/WebX?50@99.fDEuhcuGUHL.0@.ee86f05
    http://www.waterfordcountyimages.org/exhibit/web/DisplayImage/K0a2YbfullstopV11fullstopvA/1/Tallow_School_Boys.html

• Advertisement
Advertisement