Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Life Partners

• 20-04-2015 9:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭

Just discovered I can't add someone as a life partner on Ancestry. It has to be a husband or a wife. Surely Ancestry will have to add another box for this. It could be tricky if there are several life partners to the one person but this man and his partner were together for over 40 years and of course no divorce then so not free to marry anyway.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,544 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Ancestry is rather difficult in this area - being another LDS company I suspect they may not quite want to deal with the issue but they've no problem with the few people I've entered with 3+ wifes!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

I will have to add her as a wife then, and add an explanatory note. Yep, I expected the Mormons wouldn't have much problem with us adding as many wives as we could manage, but bet there's not much leeway for several husbands mind! :D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Ancestry is not a LDS company - only its very distant origins are. It's surprisingly small-minded of them. Does it allow you to add same-sex partners? My sub is not currently active so I can't make changes to my tree.

Genealogy Forum Mod

That's not a situation I have in the tree (yet) but we should give it a go and see what happens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    I will have to add her as a wife then, and add an explanatory note. Yep, I expected the Mormons wouldn't have much problem with us adding as many wives as we could manage, but bet there's not much leeway for several husbands mind! :D

I have Ancestry – started out donkeys years ago with Family Tree Maker and now have the latest Ancestry/FTM 2014 version, but do not have a subscription. AFAI can see, it does not have ‘partner’ - the option is for “Spouse” but you can make the sex of the spouse male or female regardless. And it allows for multiple spouses, male & female, but it requires you to 'toggle' between them as you must nominate the 'main' one.

• Advertisement

I don't use the software but just put my tree on Ancestry.co.uk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

I like Ancestry/FTM, but begrudge having to upgrade periodically. The paid software version is great for record keeping, has a feature to upload photos, all sorts of bells & whistle most of which I do not use. I have not put my tree (s) online. I also have access to a few trees on 'MyHeritage' that friends/relatives have put up, and while I find them OK, I lean towards FTM.
    Maybe I should have posted this on the other thread?:o

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,544 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

pinkypinky wrote: »
    Does it allow you to add same-sex partners? My sub is not currently active so I can't make changes to my tree.

It does, but you get errors such as "wife's grandfather" for your husband/partner/whatever's grandfather.

You can still edit and add to the tree on a non-active sub - I've only paid for one month on an offer since early 2013 at this stage.

Advertisement