Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What are your views on Multiculturalism in Ireland? - Threadbanned User List in OP

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭SporadicMan

This new DP stuff is.. insanity.

We're literally paying for people to come into the country and get priority over our own people. I am so ****ing sick of feeling like a second class citizen in what is supposed to be my 'home'.

This is quite literally opening the borders and making Irish people pay for it. Better get ready lads, once this news gets out we'll be seeing a huge influx of people into the country who resent the population already there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

This new DP stuff is.. insanity.

We're literally paying for people to come into the country and get priority over our own people. I am so ****ing sick of feeling like a second class citizen in what is supposed to be my 'home'.

This is quite literally opening the borders and making Irish people pay for it. Better get ready lads, once this news gets out we'll be seeing a huge influx of people into the country who resent the population already there.

The worst part is when you become numb to the madness, because you don't see it changing anytime soon. None of the main parties will dare dissent, and none of the fringe parties are credible, so I'd struggle to vote for them, which leaves us with little hope.

The fact that the people making these decisions would gladly have open borders in the purest sense, to me, is a great conflict of interests. It's an outright farce, and completely undemocratic. At this stage, I don't think it's one bit dramatic to call this nation a banana republic.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Registered Users Posts: 23,434 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

How are we going to find these new houses for asylum seekers in the middle of a housing crisis?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,850 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

TomTomTim wrote: »
    The worst part is when you become numb to the madness, because you don't see it changing anytime soon. None of the main parties will dare dissent, and none of the fringe parties are credible, so I'd struggle to vote for them, which leaves us with little hope.

The fact that the people making these decisions would gladly have open borders in the purest sense, to me, is a great conflict of interests. It's an outright farce, and completely undemocratic. At this stage, I don't think it's one bit dramatic to call this nation a banana republic.
    In relation to the text highlighted, one has to wonder what the reason is for this groupthink amongst the main parties? Are they that keen to feather their own nests, at the expense of the taxpayer? Or, are they complete pawns of Europe? Both scenarios are equally worrying tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

How are we going to find these new houses for asylum seekers in the middle of a housing crisis?

Assume they will go to the top of the local housing list once granted asylum? Helen McEntee avoiding the question of how feasible it is to move them into own door accommodation given a housing shortage, she’s on newstalk now

• Advertisement

Assume they will go to the top of the local housing list once granted asylum? Helen McEntee avoiding the question of how feasible it is to move them into own door accommodation given a housing shortage, she’s on newstalk now
    I'm actually grateful that this issue is even being reported in the media, I thought it would be swept under the rug. Hopefully, people see this for what it is, and begin to challenge the politicans.

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭MidlanderMan

endacl wrote: »
    Hard to imagine a dish that can’t be improved by adding a dash of spice.

Good thing.

The fact that on the same stree in Athlone I can get authentic thai food for lunch and fantastic lebanese food for dinner and then walk 200 metres and get a Byriani the next day is amazing. Or that within spitting distace of eachother I can get brilliant Japanese food in a tiny cafe and then traditional Xi'anese hand pulled Biang Biang noodles in Galway. Or within 30 seconds of eachother on Capel Street in dublin I can get Ramen, Pho, or Bibimbap.

Beats the **** out of the bad Italian and Chinese food we grew up withm that's for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Mules

I suppose they are calling it own door accommodation so they don't have to say straight out that it will be free houses/apartments. Mind you, it would be one thing if it was free, but it's people who work and pay tax that will be funding it.

The government has more money to spend that the average buyer dealing with a mortgage. Ahh that bottomless hole of debt. So convenient.

There are many houses/apartments throughout the country that could be purchased but the prices are beyond most people (for all manner of reasons.. and would become available to Irish people if taxes/charges were lowered, but that won't happen). I know of two fine properties in my area which the owners would love to sell, but the State charges make any sale to be far beyond the means of the vast majority of Irish people.

Our politicians naturally have no appreciation for the money they spend so, they'll simply buy up and give the asylum seekers those properties. I wouldn't be surprised if we see some of the historical properties which are protected or under conservation to also be allocated perhaps as 'hotels' for families.

The fact that on the same stree in Athlone I can get authentic thai food for lunch and fantastic lebanese food for dinner and then walk 200 metres and get a Byriani the next day is amazing. Or that within spitting distace of eachother I can get brilliant Japanese food in a tiny cafe and then traditional Xi'anese hand pulled Biang Biang noodles in Galway. Or within 30 seconds of eachother on Capel Street in dublin I can get Ramen, Pho, or Bibimbap.

Beats the **** out of the bad Italian and Chinese food we grew up withm that's for sure.

All of which is great, but how much interaction do you have with the families who own/run those places? Not much is my guess. So, the extent of multiculturalism is having access to food and not much else. At least, not unless the numbers of migrants who arrive increases significantly, and even then, in most cases, those cultural/national groups are very clannish, limiting their interactions with Irish people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭SporadicMan

Where's the Irish food places?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

And according to this migrant NGO report, they are demanding that the Irish government move away from the temporary model of providing "protection" to asylum seekers, and instead implement a permanent situation of accepting at least 3,500 asylum seekers every year ...... for eternity. Of course it makes sense for the migrant NGO CEO's to demand this new hardship on the Irish people, as these CEO's need to justify their 6 figure euro compensation, and this new demand will guarantee them very comfortable lifestyles indefinitely.

The migrant NGO's in Ireland have no sense of timing, do they? We are in the middle of a worldwide pandemic and tomorrow the country goes into at least 6 weeks of Level 5 restrictions, which will cost us at least €1.5 billion and 150,000 jobs. So Ireland, as one of the most indebted countries on the whole planet, will now have to go further into debt in order to accept 3,500 asylum seekers for the rest of our lives, and for the rest of our children's lives .... forever.

We really need a political party and Irish politicians to stand up and ask hard hitting questions about these ludicrous demands in the NGO report.

All of which is great, but how much interaction do you have with the families who own/run those places? Not much is my guess. So, the extent of multiculturalism is having access to food and not much else. At least, not unless the numbers of migrants who arrive increases significantly, and even then, in most cases, those cultural/national groups are very clannish, limiting their interactions with Irish people.

Know the family who own the Thai place personally, as well as a few staff members. Have had coffee and chats with the Lebanese lads more than once, and the Longford based owners of the indian place are good friends of a good friend of mine so I've met them at a few parties. Know of an Indian lad in Tullamore who does free meals for people who are low on money and opens every day on christmas day to feed people who live alone or are living in emergency accomodation, or just need a meal.

These families send their kids to our schools, the play sports with yours and my kids, their kids are as Irish as I am.

Where's the Irish food places?

In 90's midlands Ireland, mostly shiiite.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,253 ✭✭✭jmreire

The government has more money to spend that the average buyer dealing with a mortgage. Ahh that bottomless hole of debt. So convenient.

There are many houses/apartments throughout the country that could be purchased but the prices are beyond most people (for all manner of reasons.. and would become available to Irish people if taxes/charges were lowered, but that won't happen). I know of two fine properties in my area which the owners would love to sell, but the State charges make any sale to be far beyond the means of the vast majority of Irish people.

Our politicians naturally have no appreciation for the money they spend so, they'll simply buy up and give the asylum seekers those properties. I wouldn't be surprised if we see some of the historical properties which are protected or under conservation to also be allocated perhaps as 'hotels' for families.

If the power's that be are only following EU dicktat about Nrs of immigrants we have been "Allocated", then how much of the total costs are paid by the EU?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,065 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Annnnnnnnd, we're back to food. Not to pick on your post MidlanderMan, but over the many many pages of this thread the sum of the pro multicultural side appears to be: Exotic food, a bit of exotic people, the more different the better, charity, it's just right!! and.... ehhhh. Well, that's it.

Well apart from when some are pushed on the issue and seeing their argument amount to little they go off piste and get aggressively insulting, often with zero self awareness when called on it. A few pages ago one chap claimed with a straight face that the insults were equally divided on both side of the debate.
    Kivaro wrote:
    We really need a political party and Irish politicians to stand up and ask hard hitting questions about these ludicrous demands in the NGO report.
    Never gonna happen K. Not in Ireland at least. The media and reins of power are too tightly controlled by remarkably few people and have been since the foundation of the state. Plus the Irish psyche that's middle of the road and Be Grand(thankfully in the majority of cases). I can see more and more kickback across Europe though. They're dealing with it and the social problems for longer and are larger populations with more diverse forces pulling at the societies.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,065 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Know the family who own the Thai place personally, as well as a few staff members. Have had coffee and chats with the Lebanese lads more than once, and the Longford based owners of the indian place are good friends of a good friend of mine so I've met them at a few parties. Know of an Indian lad in Tullamore who does free meals for people who are low on money and opens every day on christmas day to feed people who live alone or are living in emergency accomodation, or just need a meal.

These families send their kids to our schools, the play sports with yours and my kids, their kids are as Irish as I am.
    The one hope here is that immigration won't just be an urban, specifically sink estate urban phenomenon, because that's were the faultlines tend to become deep. Depends on the source of migration too. East Asians and Indians for example tend to not cluster at the bottom of the society, even tend to be clustered near the top. We see this in the UK and it's got little to do with "race". EG British Indians do far better on average than British Pakistanis. Same "race". Not religion either. Muslim East Asians and Arabs again do better than Muslim Pakistanis.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

I'm from Athlone too. :D And I know some of the families myself (Some of the Chinese helped me with some Mandarin before I went to China). I would still be cynical of the extent by which actual culture is exchanged. As you said, they're as Irish as you are... which is perfectly fine, but hardly suggestive that you're experiencing much in the way of their culture beyond food, which is what the advocates of multiculturalism plug so hard.

Wibbs wrote: »
    The one hope here is that immigration won't just be an urban, specifically sink estate urban phenomenon, because that's were the faultlines tend to become deep. Depends on the source of migration too. East Asians and Indians for example tend to not cluster at the bottom of the society, even tend to be clustered near the top. We see this in the UK and it's got little to do with "race". EG British Indians do far better on average than British Pakistanis. Same "race". Not religion either. Muslim East Asians and Arabs again do better than Muslim Pakistanis.

I think the difference is that certain cultural/national groups plug the victim narrative. Even if it's not the west that's the aggressor, there will be someone else who will have screwed them up, so they're always looking for a boost from someone else before they can "make something of themselves", or there's some sort of scam (questionable ethics) involved.

At least, that's what I've experienced. Those who are on the bottom tend to feel hard done by, and that it wasn't their fault that this happened, nor can they improve their situation without others help.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Wait, these recommendations aren't actually being actioned are they?

MASI in particular are a dangerous outfit well versed at cyber bullying.

It's like long term dolers recommending an increase to welfare.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,046 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Wibbs wrote: »

There is no need for any non-EU immigration, other than where very specific labour market skills are not available here.

I don't know why it's even being discussed.

We are living in a savage recession, with hundreds of thousands unemployed.

Other than third level students, and maybe doctors, I can't see any justification for any non-EU immigration at all.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭statesaver

Geuze wrote: »
    There is no need for any non-EU immigration, other than where very specific labour market skills are not available here.

I don't know why it's even being discussed.

Agreed.

Even before Covid, it's worth considering the range of unemployment in countries like Italy, Spain etc, It boggles my mind as to why we're being pushed so hard to accept non-western nationalities. It's almost as if we're not supposed to help other Europeans while being part of the EU...

It makes far more sense to me for multiculturalism to be encouraged within European States, bringing Europeans together and dispelling any ignorance or stereotypes. But, nah, let's keep Europeans on welfare, and instead bring in more people who will also be forced to stay on state supports for the foreseeable future.

The logic just makes no sense. If we need labor, then we can easily get it from other European or western nations. There is a labor pool out there who are not drastically different from us, and who would have the side effect of better relationships with the countries most able to help us later.

statesaver wrote: »

Very interesting reading the comments underneath that post too. Twitter is a bastion of lefty-liberals, but most of the comments are in support of the action. Maybe the wheels are starting to turn..

• Registered Users Posts: 13,046 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Agreed.

Even before Covid, it's worth considering the range of unemployment in countries like Italy, Spain etc, It boggles my mind as to why we're being pushed so hard to accept non-western nationalities. It's almost as if we're not supposed to help other Europeans while being part of the EU...

The logic just makes no sense. If we need labor, then we can easily get it from other European or western nations. There is a labor pool out there who are not drastically different from us, and who would have the side effect of better relationships with the countries most able to help us later.

Yes, 14m unemployed in the EU in 2019.

It really does seem to be like that alright. Then again if we return to the matter of the correct kind of "diversity" other pale faced Europeans don't really cut it. As it is they outnumber the non EU migrants in Ireland by quite a margin, but of them we hear or see vanishingly little.

The amnesty that the Day paper proposes of giving leave to remain to anyone 2 years in direct provision is nuts, people there that long have already had their claim assessed and found to be lacking. Surely it would just leave them open to cases from the small amount who were deported but had been at some point in DP for more than 2 years. It makes a mockery of the system.
    This report seems to be a wish list by activists and makes no concrete suggestions about how the process should be sped up. Its exactly the type of thing to make the public turn on welcoming genuine asylum seekers.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,434 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/ireland-can-and-must-do-much-better-for-asylum-seekers-1.4387238

This author seems quite deluded to put it mildly.
    As a country we pride ourselves on being Ireland of the welcomes

Yes but does that equate to "come to Ireland, here's a house and 20 grand to fight multiple judicial cases on a just in case basis"?

It strikes me our country is already highly vulnerable to being abused as it is.

The amnesty that the Day paper proposes of giving leave to remain to anyone 2 years in direct provision is nuts, people there that long have already had their claim assessed and found to be lacking. Surely it would just leave them open to cases from the small amount who were deported but had been at some point in DP for more than 2 years. It makes a mockery of the system.
    This report seems to be a wish list by activists and makes no concrete suggestions about how the process should be sped up. Its exactly the type of thing to make the public turn on welcoming genuine asylum seekers.
    Agree completely. What are the chances that recommendations from this report actually get put into action?

• Advertisement

And has an extremely short memory. As far as refugees go we've never been particularly welcoming at all. Pre WW2 we didn't take in too many Jews fleeing Hitler, though Ireland's record in general as far as Jews goes is pretty good compared to the rest of Europe. In the 1950s we had under a thousand Hungarian refugees and they didn't stay long and were quickly offloaded to Canada so were only in transit here. After the Vietnamese Boat People crisis Ireland avoided taking in any until the UN put the squeeze on us. The pregnancy passport loophole was slammed shut by one of the largest majorities in any Irish referendum. EG the Marriage rights referendum had a 62% majority, the Repeal of the Eighth 66%, the above loophole was 80%. A clear message by the Irish electorate, but apparently it's only a tiny minority of Irish people that don't want more multiculturalism...

Advertisement