Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone here got their 23andme results with the new update? (v5.9)

• 12-09-2020 9:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭

I got my 23andme results yesterday. Its the new version v5.9 which has only just been released this month has anyone got their update yet? Its throwing up some very different results for people, latin Americans who usually often are defined by having high unassigned (usually around 10%) have seen this number collapse and it being allocated more accurately to other regions. Similarly with British and Irish people, a lot of "Broadly Northwestern European" has been resolved and allocated to other categories.

On the previous v5.2 version my results were:

British & Irish - 96%
    Broadly Northwestern European - 4%

And here are my new results (v5.9):

A0vYKUR.png
    TYkQnQW.png

My mother is from Belfast and her parents are from Downpatrick, Co.Down (mother) Aughnacloy, Co.Tyrone (father) and my dad is from just outside Dundalk and his ancestry lies up along the Louth/Armagh border. Donegal however is my strongest region given I have no known ancestry out west I'm not sure why that is.

My brother previously got 97.5% British and Irish, 1.4% Broadly Northwest European, 1.0% Scandinavian, 0.1 Unassigned. Now finds himself getting 99.7% British and Irish, 0.2% Sardinian, 0.1% unassigned. So both of us do have Sardinian results although his only holds till 60% confidence, mine to 80%. So no idea whether that's a real link and whether the new and improved v5.9 will throw up some peculiar results for some Irish people.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,609 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

I seem to have a version like yours but I don't have a screenshot of what it was before.

Like we were saying on the similar Ancestry thread yesterday, you just have to take these results as a bit of fun.
    We're not at the point yet where it can be used seriously as a guide.

23andme shows Co. Dublin as the top place for the relative I have tested there. She has one parent from Dublin and one from Limerick. Limerick only comes 6th on the list. Go figure.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭srmf5

My results are stil v5.2.

For these results, the regions aren't very accurate. My ancestry is primarily from Roscommon with some in Galway and Mayo as well. Mayo is number 1 and Galway is number 2. Roscommon is at number 6. Cork, Dublin and Donegal are all placed above Roscommon. It also gives 10 regions in the UK that I have no connection to.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭bobbyy gee

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,088 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

All it does is match to other people's results. There is no 'Scottish' or 'Irish' or 'Roscommon' gene. 'Scottish' just means you match a lot of people who match people from Scotland. They could all have come over on the boat from Donegal, but unless they are matching lots of people in Donegal, they will go with most matches, so, Scottish.

It's only a bit of fun, though the companies, especially ancestry, play heavily on it to market their tests. Could explain the lots of 'test, but no family tree' folk.

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭whatswhat

spurious wrote: »
    All it does is match to other people's results. There is no 'Scottish' or 'Irish' or 'Roscommon' gene. 'Scottish' just means you match a lot of people who match people from Scotland. They could all have come over on the boat from Donegal, but unless they are matching lots of people in Donegal, they will go with most matches, so, Scottish.

It's only a bit of fun, though the companies, especially ancestry, play heavily on it to market their tests. Could explain the lots of 'test, but no family tree' folk.

I agree totally with this. It's over 4 years ago now that I took the 23& Me DNA test. When my report initially came back I was struck by one particular statistic which said my "Neanderthal" variant was so high, that only 1% of the database scored higher????? My other half thought this was hilarious, I'm struggling to find relatives before the year 1800, so going back even further would not help.

Since then, I have dropped well down the "Caveman" rankings and my latest report states that there are now 35% of the 23&Me database have a higher variant. Quite enjoyed my moment at the top, even though it was useless really :]

• Advertisement

The only reason that I've done any of the DNA tests is for potential matches. The ethnicity estimates, neanderthal percentage, etc. are all just a bit of fun for me.

As someone whose entire known ancestry is from the west of Ireland, I obviously wasn't taking the test to find out where my ancestors came since all they've done is confirm that I'm Irish. Nothing new there.

I don't take it seriously but that doesn't mean that I don't like to see if what they're predicting matches up with what I know. I will be watching out for the 23andMe update just for curiosity's sake. I do like to compare my results with other users. I don't see any issue with that. From discussions with others, the recent AncestryDNA has given lots of testers inflated Scottish. They're never going to get it perfect. One thing seems like it's fixed and another region gives strange results.

I'm aware of how AncestryDNA forms its genetic communities and how 23andMe determines regions for users. Without even looking into it, it's fairly obvious how 23andMe is forming regions since Cork is my number 3 and Dublin is my number 4 while in the United Kingdom (also highly likely), Greater London is number 1. The major cities are all listed where Irish people have a history of migration to and I therefore have matches there.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,609 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

FTDNA has emailed me this morning saying they'll have an ethnicity update soon too.
    Prioritising people who've logged in more recently, so I guess I'll do that. I have about 8 kits with them and find managing them all separately a pain in the bum. There is a group version but it's rubbish.

Genealogy Forum Mod

FTDNA seem to have updated most people already. These are my family's results:

Me
    Previous: 100% British Isles
    New: 99% Ireland & <1% Central Europe

Dad
    Previous: 99% British Isles and <1% South Amerindian
    New: 99% Ireland & <2% Scandinavian

Mum (upload)
    Previous: 100% British Isles
    New: 100% Ireland

Great aunt (upload)
    Previous: 95% British Isles, 4% Southeast Europe & <1% East Middle East
    New: 96% Ireland & 4% Central Europe

• Registered Users Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭Lirange

srmf5 wrote: »

I'm aware of how AncestryDNA forms its genetic communities and how 23andMe determines regions for users. Without even looking into it, it's fairly obvious how 23andMe is forming regions since Cork is my number 3 and Dublin is my number 4 while in the United Kingdom (also highly likely), Greater London is number 1. The major cities are all listed where Irish people have a history of migration to and I therefore have matches there.

Large cities will show up for many at (or near) the top simply because a high(er) number of residents are sending in their kits from these areas. Many people in the UK have Greater London at the top of their list despite all their established ancestry coming from the North of England, Wales, etc. People that live in Inverness with all established branches in the Highlands often see Glasgow at the top. It seems they’re using raw numbers rather than proportionality for the regions.

Lirange wrote: »
    Large cities will show up for many at (or near) the top simply because a high(er) number of residents are sending in their kits from these areas. Many people in the UK have Greater London at the top of their list despite all their established ancestry coming from the North of England, Wales, etc. People that live in Inverness with all established branches in the Highlands often see Glasgow at the top. It seems they’re using raw numbers rather than proportionality for the regions.

I know.

I got my updated results today.

Previous results:
    95.8% British & Irish
    2.5% French & German
    1.5% Broadly Northwestern European
    0.2% Broadly European

New results:
    99.9% British & Irish
    0.1% Peninsular Arab

No company has ever given me the Peninsular Arab as a trace region before so that's new. Obviously not real but the only part of my results that are mildly interesting. None of my DNA matches get that region. That segment was previously assigned Broadly Northwestern European.

• Advertisement
Advertisement