Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

New Business openings and closures around you?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

coylemj wrote: »
    Edit: Does DHL provide a service like PM
    There are 4 I know of

parcelmotel -nightline
    parcel wizard - DPD
    addresspal -an post
    parcel connect -fastway

Parcel connect is nearest me but I have never used it. They deliver to shops or cafes etc
    https://www.parcelconnect.ie/map/

• Registered Users Posts: 25,326 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Stephen15 wrote: »
    I've never actually used PM but I thought it was exclusive to Nightline. When I used they called when I wasn't there and dropped to the nearest location.

The PM service makes it independent of the original carrier. You tell the vendor to deliver to the Nightline address in NI with your membership number in the address field so it could arrive in the Nightline depot via DHL, UPS, DPD or anyone. Nightline then ships it to your designated collection point in Dublin, sends you an alert with a PIN number to open the locker and charges you €3.95 for the service.

Per L1011's response, the DHL service sounds like it requires you to contact the original shipper to ask them to divert the delivery to a DHL collection point but not every shipper allows this and in a lot of cases, you have no advance notice of who is involved so you can't phone or e-mail anyone to divert the delivery.

For example, my last purchase from Amazon UK was a spare part sold and fulfilled by third party vendor, there was zero information about the shipping company in the e-mail which told me it had been dispatched so there was no way I could have had it diverted. The PM service gets around this issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

Club 92 formerly Blinkers is to close for good at the end of 2018 due to the racecourse redevelopment.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Club 92 formerly Blinkers is to close for good at the end of 2018 due to the racecourse redevelopment.

many good nights up there, havent been in about 5 years (too old :P)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

Union Cafe opened in Churchtown, doing very good business, always packed out.

Had a coffee and cake, very nice. The place was a bit disorganized, they overcharged me, it's a new place so its understandable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,300 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

I was in Aldi in Frascati SC for the first time today. It is a very nice store. It has a lot of foods there & middle shelf items that are very cheap. It only has about 6 tills in it so it is probably smaller than the stores in both Sallynoggin & Sandyford.

Frascati has also got into the Christmas spirit already with having a lot of Christmas trees & lights located around the inside of it. The M&S Christmas shop is now located beside Vodafone. It is there because the old units which previously housed McDonalds & Vodafone is boarded up due to builders in there doing work in the older part of the centre. They even have a Santa Claus with a polar bear beside it behind the front beam in the new atrium near the new entrance. They are also reindeer & a fox around some Christmas trees outside the new McDonalds.

The new travel agent opening there will be called Freedom Travel. It's said to open in November but inside the atrium; it said it will be open in 2019.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Someone posted a while back but it certainly looks like the former fruit and veg shop in deansgrange will be an O'Brien's offie

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Jacinta086

Five guys opened in the Frascati Centre yesterday, i popped up for lunch.
    It was nice but the chips were ridiculously salty and the amount of staff behind the counter was obscene - maybe 15 people shouting at each other.

Not the best set up for collections either; just people shouting rather than a screen showing the order number.

Someone posted a while back but it certainly looks like the former fruit and veg shop in deansgrange will be an O'Brien's offie

That someone was me, I spotted some work going on to the front of the premises a few weeks ago and there was an O'Briens van parked outside but I've seen no activity since. It subsequently occurred to me that O'Briens could have been delivering wine to the Saba takeway next door so I might have put two and two together and come up with five!

How do you reckon it now 'certainly looks like' O'Briens are involved?

That someone was me, I spotted some work going on to the front of the premises a few weeks ago and there was an O'Briens van parked outside but I've seen no activity since. It subsequently occurred to me that O'Briens could have been delivering wine to the Saba takeway next door so I might have put two and two together and come up with five!

How do you reckon it now 'certainly looks like' O'Briens are involved?

Same colour green as their stores, same set up on the shelves but also the game usual big green sign under the til.

It does seem small though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

Noshington on SCR closed. I think they had a fire. Its been shut about 6 weeks, no sign of any work going on.

Jacinta086 wrote: »
    Five guys opened in the Frascati Centre yesterday, i popped up for lunch.
    It was nice but the chips were ridiculously salty and the amount of staff behind the counter was obscene - maybe 15 people shouting at each other.

Not the best set up for collections either; just people shouting rather than a screen showing the order number.

I was in the new McDonalds soon after they opened, I ordered and paid from the self-service screen and was watching the screen above the counter which shows the numbers of the orders being processed but when my order came out, the server simply called out the contents of the tray instead of my order number!

Same colour green as their stores, same set up on the shelves but also the game usual big green sign under the til.

It does seem small though.

If it (the old Get Fresh shop on Deansgrange Road) was going to be fitted out as an O'Briens, I'd expect a gang of shopfitters to do the refit in a few days. Instead, the shutters were down today and nothing is happening :confused:

If the 'green' you're talking about is the colour of the shutters, they've been that colour for a few years.

If it (the old Get Fresh shop on Deansgrange Road) was going to be fitted out as an O'Briens, I'd expect a gang of shopfitters to do the refit in a few days. Instead, the shutters were down today and nothing is happening :confused:

If the 'green' you're talking about is the colour of the shutters, they've been that colour for a few years.

The internals fittings are green, and have (from my experience) a similar tone/design to the rest of their shops

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Per L1011's response, the DHL service sounds like it requires you to contact the original shipper to ask them to divert the delivery to a DHL collection point but not every shipper allows this and in a lot of cases, you have no advance notice of who is involved so you can't phone or e-mail anyone to divert the delivery.

Once your mobile number is on it, DHL text and offer the divert. But that is still reliant on the seller so much the same result

L1011 wrote: »
    Once your mobile number is on it, DHL text and offer the divert. But that is still reliant on the seller so much the same result

I see DPD now offer this service as well, pickup points all over the place in local shops.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,564 ✭✭✭frash

Roast Office, a coffee shop, has opened where the newsagent used to be in Deansgrange with the Post Office (see what they did there?)

frash wrote: »
    Roast Office, a coffee shop, has opened where the newsagent used to be in Deansgrange with the Post Office (see what they did there?)

I could see them working on it for the last couple of weeks. A lot of independent newsagents have closed down in the last couple of years like the one on the ground floor in Blackrock SC. No where to top up a leap card now in Deansgrange though unless Supervalu have started it.

frash wrote: »

Looked in the window today. The newsagent/sweetshop has been compressed to the left side with the post office still in the far left corner and the right-hand side is now a coffee shop.

But I'd question the viability of the coffee shop as there is an Insomnia just around the corner at the entrance to the Supervalu car park, it has lots of comfortable seating and has seats and tables outside for smokers.

The fruit and veg shop isn't an obriens it's a pharmacy

• Advertisement

The fruit and veg shop isn't an obriens it's a pharmacy

Are we still talking about the old Get Fresh premises? Weird place to open a pharmacy, esp. when you consider that the Grange Pharmacy has a much larger premises up at the crossroads.

Are we still talking about the old Get Fresh premises? Weird place to open a pharmacy, esp. when you consider that the Grange Pharmacy has a much larger premises up at the crossroads.

Yep and agree. Looks like it'll be a pretty small pharmacy tbh

Yep and agree. Looks like it'll be a pretty small pharmacy tbh

+1 signage installed today and the shelves looked well stocked at 2 p.m. when I passed in the car though the shutters were down at 4 p.m. so probably opening early next week.

A branch of this chain .... https://www.purepharmacy.ie/

I remember a number of years ago they opened another pharmacy in Foxrock Village across the road from the one that's already there. It lasted about six months this kind of strikes me as similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

It lasted about six months this kind of strikes me as similar.

this new crowd are a discount pharmacy. I can see posts from 2 years ago.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057674340

jmbkay wrote: »
    I was paying nearly 50 euro a month for blood pressure tablets and statins for high cholesterol, I am now paying 15 euro in Pure Pharmacy, Collins Avenue, near Donnycarney church. They also have other branches.

they have 24 paracetomol for 90cent, which is enough to drag people down.

I reckon the trick is purposely to open next to an existing one to steal their customers.

I have no prescriptions, but regular pricey enough OTC items and wonder if they would be cheaper at all.

I did notice Grange pharmacy had a sign in the window this week advertising their really low prices for generics.. price war incoming!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Viscount Aggro

Dundrum town centre - Beefstreet, steak place looks closed to me... or is that overdone?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,289 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Dundrum town centre - Beefstreet, steak place looks closed to me... or is that overdone?

Do you mean Beeftro?

If so, could be linked to the Beeftro restaurant on Balfe Street which has closed down so maybe the chain has gone under completely.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,363 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Do you mean Beeftro?

If so, could be linked to the Beeftro restaurant on Balfe Street which has closed down so maybe the chain has gone under completely.
    They are, or certainly were linked. Dundrum was 'Beeftro' when it opened, and then changed to Beefstreet maybe a year or so ago. Their deals on Pigsback were great value.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,289 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

They are, or certainly were linked. Dundrum was 'Beeftro' when it opened, and then changed to Beefstreet maybe a year or so ago. Their deals on Pigsback were great value.

Wow. Shows how long ago I was there!! Ha :)

Advertisement