Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Eir Fibre Rollout Mapping

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,212 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

To see if you will be covered enter your Eircode on http://fibrerollout.ie (Check Rural 300k).

Assuming you will be covered there are three speeds currently offered by providers, 150/30Mb, 300/50Mb and 1000/100Mb. Distance from the exchange is not a factor as it is a full fibre network so you should get whatever speed you order.

Wonder if we will have a December update to the fiber rollout map?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭ Alec Dirty Pun

KeRbDoG wrote: »
    Wonder if we will have a December update to the fiber rollout map?

Ask and you shall receive!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭turbbo

2017 year end wow - very disappointing progress. Hope the rollout gathers some momentom in 2018 or I'll be an old man before I get a decent broadband service.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,989 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

According to the new map and info my area will not be done until end 2018.

A week ago I got a response to my email to Openeir who gave me a rough estimate of June 18.

This areas had previously been down as Q2 18 on the map.
    Now wondering if the map was edited in error and that error has persisted ..... or are Openeir wrong .......

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

This areas had previously been down as Q2 18 on the map.
    Now wondering if the map was edited in error and that error has persisted ..... or are Openeir wrong .......

The map constantly gets shuffled. It's hit and miss. And OpenEIR is often wrong. You don't know for certain, until you see the cables pulled. And even then it cane take a few more months due to hardware backlogs for the equipment in the exchanges.

/M

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭Jpmarn

Just to try to gauge progress around the country of the rollout of OpenEir's ftth here is my story. I live in the Inch St Lawernce area in Co. Limerick serving the villages of Caherconlish and Ballyneety. We were oringinaly due Fibre during last Spring and summer. Around mid March piping was inserted into ducts for the multicore Fibre cable. This continued until April. The first Fibre cables were laid on a another roads in May and my road in July. The poles were marked in late June to instruct where the splice boxes go. The splice boxes went up in my road around the 20tn of August. It was the 3 October when our lines became live. I was connected 3 days later first on the road. Some other parts of my exchange were live from the end of June.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭Vego

I notice our local exchange had a delivery of quite a few bails of this white thick wire, and its just been left out side the hut I presume that is fibre cable ?

Vego wrote: »
    I notice our local exchange had a delivery of quite a few bails of this white thick wire, and its just been left out side the hut I presume that is fibre cable ?

The cable they use is black. It could be ducting that you saw.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭scottigael

Hi Folks my home along with several others is about 300m from the blue area and the nearest other home connected to it. No idea why we were left out. Do we stand a chance if we ring eir up or will the call be lost with some random employee who has no say? The rollout for the whole area is due late 2018.

scottigael wrote: »
    Hi Folks my home along with several others is about 300m from the blue area and the nearest other home connected to it. No idea why we were left out. Do we stand a chance if we ring eir up or will the call be lost with some random employee who has no say? The rollout for the whole area is due late 2018.

Has the cable been installed yet? If not there may be a slim chance that they could extend the run to include you. This has been done in a small amount of other areas. What prompts them to do this is unknown. I can't imagine that you'll get much satisfaction by ringing them. The person answering the phone is unlikely to be making the decisions.

• Advertisement

Has the cable been installed yet? If not there may be a slim chance that they could extend the run to include you. This has been done in a small amount of other areas. What prompts them to do this is unknown. I can't imagine that you'll get much satisfaction by ringing them. The person answering the phone is unlikely to be making the decisions.

No cables or anything are down. Should I say a prayer or what? Get onto a local councillor maybe? Any idea who would be making the decisions when it comes to this?

No cables or anything are down. Should I say a prayer or what? Get onto a local councillor maybe? Any idea who would be making the decisions when it comes to this?

Prayer might be your best bet alright! You could try a councillor but I don't know how much influence they would have. The people making the decisions are I guess the people in the videos on this page:

http://www.openeir.ie/ruralfibre/

Prayer might be your best bet alright! You could try a councillor but I don't know how much influence they would have. The people making the decisions are I guess the people in the videos on this page:

Thanks anyway. If anyone else has any suggestions I'm open to them. Such a shame as its literally right up the road theres a blue house on the map getting it and we're down a little further, a few houses not getting it. Maybe when the lads come in a few months and start doing the work I can beg them/brown envelope job to see if they can extend the cables a few hundred more meters.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭jgbyr

The blue area starts at the top of our road but we're not included, have to wait for NBP. The cable wilI be passing outside our house to get to these houses but when I contacted Openeir to see if there was any possibility of being included, I was told no. Wish there was a way.

jgbyr wrote: »
    The blue area starts at the top of our road but we're not included, have to wait for NBP. The cable wilI be passing outside our house to get to these houses but when I contacted Openeir to see if there was any possibility of being included, I was told no. Wish there was a way.

Thanks, I suppose that puts it to bed then. Out of curiosity how did you contact them? I can't find much contact info for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭jgbyr

Thanks, I suppose that puts it to bed then. Out of curiosity how did you contact them? I can't find much contact info for them.

Hi, I emailed them at fibrepower@openeir.ie
    They only quoted the website & said that my address wasn't included in the 300k so couldn't be done. They didnt even comment on the fact that the cable would be passing outside the home. Computer says no & that's that!

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭AidenL

jgbyr wrote: »
    Hi, I emailed them at fibrepower@openeir.ie
    They only quoted the website & said that my address wasn't included in the 300k so couldn't be done. They didnt even comment on the fact that the cable would be passing outside the home. Computer says no & that's that!

I’m in the exact same boat, house is being passed, yet won’t be connected.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭onrail

AidenL wrote: »
    I’m in the exact same boat, house is being passed, yet won’t be connected.

I might be in a similar boat - we're situated down a private lane, about 200m from the line BUT the postcode checker states that fibre is available to our address.

Does anyone know if there would be additional costs or issues to connect?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,212 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

An update should be nigh! :) hopefully this will be the last update to show my place as 'coming soon'

• Registered Users Posts: 12,194 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Apologies if I'm asking daft questions but I'm struggling to find accurate info.

I'm in rural Donegal and have Eir phone and broadband. My usual speeds are about 2mbps down at best and maybe .3mbps up although I downloaded a 40GB game last week and it took about 4 hours which suggests my average is much less.

I've spoken to reps at Bonkers.ie who said I was in a black spot and would be better looking at satellite providers.

Spoke to Eir via online chat who were entirely useless.

Spoke to a guy in an Eir store who wasn't much better even though I gave him my eircode.

Eir's line checker says I can currently get "up to 5mbps" at present but that I am on the "rural fibre rollout programme".

Today I browsed the map here which was more promising, it shows a yellow line (rural fibre route) heading just passed my house. There are 5 houses reached by that yellow line and I'm the 4th! My house also shows as a blue circle which means it is planned for fibre.

The rural exchange timeline shows my nearest town as having a forecast date of "First half 2018".

So I have 2 questions.

1 - How accurate are those predictions for the first half of 2018? Anyone else already been reached and if so were you on time or late?

2 - Is this newly acquired fibre broadband likely to cost an arm and a leg?

• Advertisement

DrPhilG wrote: »
    Apologies if I'm asking daft questions but I'm struggling to find accurate info.

I'm in rural Donegal and have Eir phone and broadband. My usual speeds are about 2mbps down at best and maybe .3mbps up although I downloaded a 40GB game last week and it took about 4 hours which suggests my average is much less.

I've spoken to reps at Bonkers.ie who said I was in a black spot and would be better looking at satellite providers.

Spoke to Eir via online chat who were entirely useless.

Spoke to a guy in an Eir store who wasn't much better even though I gave him my eircode.

Eir's line checker says I can currently get "up to 5mbps" at present but that I am on the "rural fibre rollout programme".

Today I browsed the map here which was more promising, it shows a yellow line (rural fibre route) heading just passed my house. There are 5 houses reached by that yellow line and I'm the 4th! My house also shows as a blue circle which means it is planned for fibre.

The rural exchange timeline shows my nearest town as having a forecast date of "First half 2018".

So I have 2 questions.

1 - How accurate are those predictions for the first half of 2018? Anyone else already been reached and if so were you on time or late?

2 - Is this newly acquired fibre broadband likely to cost an arm and a leg?

1) Without knowing if work has started in the area it is hard to say if the deadline is accurate. Have you seen any evidence of work being done, poles replaced, access chambers being built or replaced, cable being put on poles etc? It is usually KN Networks doing this work so look out for their vans.

Plenty of people in https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057499489 have been connected, some on time, some with delays.

2) https://www.eir.ie/broadband/1000mb-fibre/
    Some eir bundles there. Discounts on the first 12 months with prices going up after that. Other suppliers are available on http://fibrerollout.ie/rollout-map/where-to-buy/ (the circular green home icons)

Ouch, €76 a month according to that.

Ouch, €76 a month according to that.

Not sure where you are seeing €76 but for example 150Mb with eir is €45 x 6 months then €50 x 6 months so €570 for the year. Then after 12 months you switch to another supplier say Digiweb at €54.95 for 12 months although this doesn't include phone calls.

Obviously higher speeds are more expensive.

Not sure where you are seeing €76 but for example 150Mb with eir is €45 x 6 months then €50 x 6 months so €570 for the year. Then after 12 months you switch to another supplier say Digiweb at €54.95 for 12 months although this doesn't include phone calls.

Clicked on the link on my phone and it was only offering 3 choices, although I think they were all 100mbps.

I'd be delighted with a fraction of that after 12 years of dross.

I'm currently paying on average €60 a month for phone and crap broadband.

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭garroff

Have 300Mb from Eir. Costs both arms and 1 leg. Hope I can move to Sky when my contract is expired, even at 100Mb

Clicked on the link on my phone and it was only offering 3 choices, although I think they were all 100mbps.

I'd be delighted with a fraction of that after 12 years of dross.

I'm currently paying on average €60 a month for phone and crap broadband.

The speed you order should be the speed you get so 150Mb, 300Mb or 1000Mb. None of this up to nonsense.

The speed you order should be the speed you get so 150Mb, 300Mb or 1000Mb. None of this up to nonsense.

Not quite. I'm contracted 300Mb. Max I ever got is 270. Minimum 95. Eir tech. not interested." If you have light you have fibre."

garroff wrote: »
    Not quite. I'm contracted 300Mb. Max I ever got is 270. Minimum 95. Eir tech. not interested." If you have light you have fibre."

How are you testing it? Bottleneck could be the server that's hosting your speedtest. 270 sounds a little too close for it not to be the full 300mbs.

turbbo wrote: »
    How are you testing it? Bottleneck could be the server that's hosting your speedtest. 270 sounds a little too close for it not to be the full 300mbs.

Using Eirs own site for test

• Advertisement

garroff wrote: »
    Using Eirs own site for test

Guess your not using wifi either?

Advertisement