Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Tampax ad banned

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Because it was assumed that it was exactly the same procedure as every other tampax applicator. The selling point was it was compact, not that you had to click it!

Tampax then realised that they had to do a new marketing campaign based on this. As soon as I saw the ad I knew that I mustn’t have been the only one who’d had an issue with it.

Which is fine. But don't you find it a bit insulting they did it in a style of a programme that is as low brow as possible. I would find it a bit insulting that they assume you have to be dim-witted to not know how to use that applicator.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭Mr Jinx

The girl in it was a total babe.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,122 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Mr Jinx wrote: »
    The girl in it was a total babe.

yeah, but that accent. sheesh.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,655 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Sardonicat wrote: »
    We don't need a medical professional to tell us we shouldn't feel a correctly placed tampon, FFS! The person who said that Tampax is an inferior product called it correctly. This clicking applicator is nothing more than a gimmick and does nothing to address the fact that correct insertion and placement are best achieved without a completely unnecessary applicator. More women are catching on to that or are moving away from disposable forms of menstrual hygiene products altogether..The company that produce Tampax have responded with a gimmick and a patronising ad for the stupid women who find their product uncomfortable to use or painful to insert. 'The problem"'girls" is not this poorly designed product but your inability to use it properly, cos you're a bit stupid. So we've made tampons that click. If you can't get these in right, there must be something wrong with you' .

Reading this I’m only thinking of poor Strawberry Milkshake who is justifying the ad on the basis that it informed women who didn’t know about the fact they had to listen for the click because they didn’t read the instructions.

I was trying to be tactful and not say it :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭gibgodsman

Where can we complain to get the ad put back on the TV? I think an Ad like this is grand, imagine a girl who lost their mother and only has their dad in the life, and Ad like this could prevent a fairly horrible situation for both, its a bit weird but so what, nearly all ads are now a days. Postman Pat you need to get out more, proper snowflake moment from you

• Advertisement

gibgodsman wrote: »
    Where can we complain to get the ad put back on the TV? I think an Ad like this is grand, imagine a girl who lost their mother and only has their dad in the life, and Ad like this could prevent a fairly horrible situation for both, its a bit weird but so what, nearly all ads are now a days. Postman Pat you need to get out more, proper snowflake moment from you

email standards@asai.ie to complain about its removal.

I find loads of ads stupid but that’s advertising for you.

I didn’t watch the ad and think I was dim witted though. I watched it and thought that the click element of the product hadn’t been highlighted enough to begin with and now they were getting the message out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭Sam Quentin

You’re a grown man with a wife and family and an ad about periods is offensive to you?

I bought those new type of tampon a couple of times and I didn’t find them very good. When the ad first aired I thought it was because women were having the same issue as me. It was showing how to “get it up there” correctly. I liked that they made a public information ad about it.

I don’t like that the advertising complaints authority has took a normal female bodily function and deemed it yucky. Grow ****ing up!

Did you mind watching it with your elderly Father or Mother ..did you mind watching it with your children??
    That's really the point here...

Reading this I’m only thinking of poor Strawberry Milkshake who is justifying the ad on the basis that it informed women who didn’t know about the fact they had to listen for the click because they didn’t read the instructions.

For 5 ish days every month I just want to get it in there, get my hands washed and get on with the rest of my day. I don’t sit on the toilet every time and read the instructions on a product that I’ve been using for 30 odd years.

Tampax changed the way it was used but didn’t relay that properly to their customers.

Did you mind watching it with your elderly Father or Mother ..did you mind watching it with your children??

That didn't bother me one bit.

• Advertisement

I’ve had to pull a catheter out of my dads penis before so watching a tampon ad with a man who raised a family of 4 girls has never been an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

I meant no offence to Strawberry , and I can see where she's coming from, TBH. Having been young once and bombarded by ads for Tampax as the panacea for menstrual woes and finding them impossible to use comfortably. But, that's because they aren't a good product. Tampax know there are superior products out there but their USP is the applicator, which they market as being the way to correct placement when in fact it's the opposite. They have cast this as a problem with the women using their product and continue to come up with various gimmicks to get young women to keep buying their horrible, uncomfortable products .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Kalimah

Ah, I'm guessing it's that ad where the big loud woman tells people to "shove it right up there" :p

There is such a notion, as TMI you know...

It's not that anyone should be ashamed of normal bodily functions, but we don't exactly need it rammed in everyone's faces either.

What happened to having a bit of discretion or decorum around certain things? I mean, do we start giving lessons on how to wipe your a$$ correctly too on daytime TV... just in case there were any kids out there that were a bit confused!? :pac:

There seems to be this push to normalise everything/anything... and if you object, well then you must be some sort of uptight conservative individual.

Perhaps some people are not uptight, but rather just have a touch more class about them than other people? ;)

That's exactly what I think!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

gmisk wrote: »
    You gotta get it off the air girls!

I personally had zero issue with the ad.
    It was cringe worthy but clearly designed to get people talking and it has worked.
    People complaining about it have little to worry about.

I agree, people may find the ad cringy, and insulting to women's intelligence. That is fair enough but not grounds for having an ad banned. Most ads are pretty dumb.
    However the topic of periods is still far too hidden away. Both Men and Women are to blame for this.

Firstly it is a normal bodily function and secondly can be extremely debilitating for many women. My daughter, still a teenagers suffers terribly. There have been plenty of visits to doctors and various treatments are been tried. The amount of distress is significant and me as a man I was largely ignorant of the issue.

Of course I knew there could be cramps and I was exposed to the jokes, but the reality is very different.

I know it is still a private thing for most women but I think it should be taken out of the shadows a bit more. That requires a bit of maturity from all genders.

For example a female colleague has never once said I'm feeling awful today, bad period pain, whereas could easily say bit of a cold today, or headache whatever. Why is it different.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭katiek102010

I don't think the content was an issue, it was the way it was portrayed.

Blatent attempt to glorify loud brash larger loutish behaviour, the exact type you don't want your kids displaying.

There is noting wrong with portraying the content in a polite factual way

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

When I buy a product I read the instructions. No need for that level of graphic detail to be on TV.

Men's shower gel ads don't say - "make sure you peel back the foreskin and give the encrusted cheese a good scrubbing" or "pry open your arse cheeks and give it a good scrub up there."

The ad was not appropriate and the ASAI obviously agree.

You really should not use shower gel in intimate areas, warm water is enough

• Subscribers Posts: 40,976 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Blatent attempt to glorify loud brash larger loutish behaviour, the exact type you don't want your kids displaying.

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

wow

two women sitting on a couch with a cup of tea in front of them are brash and loutish

did i miss the part when Tom Cruise jumps from the back of the couch clapping and throwing air punches???

hilarious post !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,445 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

As a man I obviously find periods abhorrent, evil and grotesque but you'd really worry about the people who complain about this sort of stuff.

The same gibbons who never wanted tampons to begin with because they see them as a form of masturbation.

And as usual, they've had the opposite effect. Tampax all over the media today! Get it up there girls! (and keep it well away from me please).

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Lesnar Defender

I'm as liberal as they come but that ad is unnecessarily crass. Glad it is gone. Ideally one of the focus groups would have stopped it from reaching TV in the first place.

sydthebeat wrote: »
    :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

wow

two women sitting on a couch with a cup of tea in front of them are brash and loutish

did i miss the part when Tom Cruise jumps from the back of the couch clapping and throwing air punches???

hilarious post !!!

So you think it's ok to display behaviour like that?

Wow respectability standards are dropping

• Advertisement

So you think it's ok to display behaviour like that?

Wow respectability standards are dropping

make sure you clutch those pearls real tight.

I'm as liberal as they come but that ad is unnecessarily crass. Glad it is gone. Ideally one of the focus groups would have stopped it from reaching TV in the first place.

100% agree this thread has been an eye-opener.

Behavioural standards are dropping if people think adds like that are ok.

Huge concern

Nothing wrong with having standards and I can 100% confirm if my son ever brings home a girl who behaves like that she will be shown the door.

Nothing wrong with having standards and I can 100% confirm if my son ever brings home a girl who behaves like that she will be shown the door.

I have to admit I couldn't stand a loud mouth like that either.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,655 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

It’s not pearl clutching to be of the opinion that the ad apes a tacky daytime tv show which portrays women as frankly a bit thick.

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭ollkiller

100% agree this thread has been an eye-opener.

Behavioural standards are dropping if people think adds like that are ok.

Huge concern

That ad is a huge concern. Lol. Nothing wrong with the ad at all. The absolute state of the people giving out about this ad. Grow up will ye.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

It is a ghastly ad. They can send the message out in a more dignified and classy manner.

You don't have toilet roll company's coming out saying "Give your arse a good wipe", everything is done in a dignified manner.

you mean someone who talks slightly louder than normal?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,709 ✭✭✭✭JRant

They didn’t read the instructions either?

RTFM :)

Seriously though, that ad was an unintentional comedy. They probably didn't realise it but ad is hilarious "not just the tip, up to the grip". Come on, they are borderline trolling with that slogan.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭Yester

How much power do we have here? I mean if enough people complain about Mcdonalds ads could we get them banned from TV?

Advertisement