Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The trashing of our parks and beaches

Comments

beautiful buildings, artworks, parks etc in certain areas are generally considered assets to the areas.

But only if you approve of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

But only if you approve of them.

You don't necessarily need to like a piece of work to appreciate the amount of work that went into it. I like the design but if I didn't I would be impressed by the workmanship or effect on the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,859 ✭✭✭malinheader

The biggest problem here is even if the pathetic scumbags who done this were caught what would be really done to them... Nothing. That's the problem we have with this kind of behaviour.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

The biggest problem here is even if the pathetic scumbags who done this were caught what would be really done to them... Nothing. That's the problem we have with this kind of behaviour.

You can't say that. Rehabilitation.

Really if they are caught they should be put to clean St. Anne's park for the next 2 months, with a group of people who are supervised by the council, with an officer to sign the in and out, 7 days a week 7am to 10pm. (I'll throw them some lunch and dinner).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    Devastated to see the tree vandalised. I don't know why we tolerate (and actively encourage in some respects) scummy behaviour. You see it every day with the grey tracksuit brigade strutting around the place like they own it. Noone ever stands up to them.

The law is structured to protect and benefit them, not you.

As a result they have de-facto immunity for anything except the worst crimes.

"Thousands of crimes, including rape, not prosecuted due to serious failings in Garda youth scheme"
    https://www.thejournal.ie/garda-scandal-youth-referral-4445018-Jan2019/

But if you dare to defend yourself, or much worse the public interest, the law will come down on you like a ton of bricks and your life will be ruined.

They know this, and so do all the people not standing up to them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

That was some thrashing for Kilkee on Saturday, I really despair for us all if this is what we have become as a nation. Fair play to the volunteers who went out and cleaned up after these bunch of scumbags.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭Biker79

What really annoys me is this attitude from parents ' sure they are just being kids '

Dragged up, not brought up...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

The only thing people really understand is "How much is this costing me".
    Either we do away with pay by weight bin charges and add it to the property tax (let Greyhound, Panda etc tender to pick it up) in the hope that people will continue to recycle (it is a long way ahead of the current situation of people dumping black bags of rubbish around the place or filling street bins with their household waste), and adding a 20c charge to every bottle/can or we keep having this problem every time there is a fine weekend in every park in the country.
    See how how quickly this problem disappears if it is costing people to leave their rubbish behind them. The bins fill up quickly because of a few cans or bottles, most other rubbish (e.g. chip bags, etc) don't take up that much volume.
    I'm going to contact Eamonn Ryan on this - he bleated about it for long enough in opposition.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

I have land that I hunt on quite regularly and everytime there is a dribble of sunshine i end up running into young stoned drunk airhead ( gas cannister sucking clowns) that go up towards the higher grounds and literally trash the **** out of it.
    Cans, bottles, smoke boxes, empty bags ( coke or weed) and little gas cannisters everywhere just dumped. Like. Farmer has now had enough and openly joked for me to scare them off while I have the gun ( I wouldnt do that. I'm not stupid ) but its kinda dangerous now. What if a group of them got brave and decided to come at me whilst I'm out hunting??
    Theyre little ratbags. Always different groups of them

For the second time in an area close to me ,the destruction of young trees and flower beds has taken place in a local town.
    Truely sad to see the mess and pathetic looking site left behind. Really feel for the people who spent many hours of Time making their town better.
    Until a serious line is taken with these little scrotes nothing will stop it. Time to get tough on this behaviour

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

I have land that I hunt on quite regularly and everytime there is a dribble of sunshine i end up running into young stoned drunk airhead ( gas cannister sucking clowns) that go up towards the higher grounds and literally trash the **** out of it.
    Cans, bottles, smoke boxes, empty bags ( coke or weed) and little gas cannisters everywhere just dumped. Like. Farmer has now had enough and openly joked for me to scare them off while I have the gun ( I wouldnt do that. I'm not stupid ) but its kinda dangerous now. What if a group of them got brave and decided to come at me whilst I'm out hunting??
    Theyre little ratbags. Always different groups of them

Do not even speak to them, keep well clear!
    If you even so much as give them a stern talking to while you had the gun they would be straight off to the Guards to tell them about the armed raving lunatic who threatened to shoot them while they were out on their weekly nature-walk :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,570 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

That time of year again! Went for a jog in St Anne's park this morning and there was rubbish all over the football pitches.
    Apparently it was a total bomb site around Portobello too. What a lovely country we are.

https://twitter.com/seanmccarthaigh/status/1377035445641560065

Disgusting. Sadly plenty more of this to look forward too as the weather improves.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭kildare lad

That time of year again! And yes I know I spelt "trashing" wrong! Went for a jog in St Anne's park this morning and there was rubbish all over the football pitches.
    Apparently it was a total bomb site around Portobello too. What a lovely country we are.

Disgraceful but I'm not surprised really . I do a good bit of fishing and see it all along the canals in summer , cans and rubbish everywhere . 2 lakes that I fish have been closed to fishing from people leaving all their rubbish and breaking branches off trees to light fires. I'd love to see plain clothes litter wardens out and about and start handing out fines . If I dropped litter when I was younger I'd get a clip across the head from my parents . They need to bring in a plastic bottle and can tax and you get it back when you recycle it .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

Same around here. Even during supposed lockdown, locals were out every Monday clearing up rubbish. Why come all the way to sit and admire the beautiful scenery... Then destroy it by f*cking your pizza box and kids nappy out the window?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,630 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Every kernt has a dog all of a sudden.
    Playing dogsh1t minefield every day.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,960 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

That time of year again! Went for a jog in St Anne's park this morning and there was rubbish all over the football pitches.

Bushy park has been the same over the last few weeks, in some cases they just pile their crap up beside the bins.
    They then get annihilated by the animals and its mess everywhere.

The area around bankstand was covered in cans and broken bottles yesterday morning. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭Ronaldinho

I'm sure it's been said a bunch of times in the thread already (can't be ar$sed reading 20 odd pages) but the local authorities have to shoulder a lot of blame too for insufficient bins which aren't emptied regularly enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

Every kernt has a dog all of a sudden.
    Playing dogsh1t minefield every day.

A new lockdown accessory apparently. They'll all be dumped when the kids are back at school and mammy and daddy return to the office.

Ronaldinho wrote: »
    I'm sure it's been said a bunch of times in the thread already (can't be ar$sed reading 20 odd pages) but the local authorities have to shoulder a lot of blame too for insufficient bins which aren't emptied regularly enough.

I don't buy this excuse, it shouldn't be up to them to provide bins everywhere and there would never be enough bins for when the weather is good.
    Where does it end? Do we have to have loads of bins everywhere people gather? The top of Carrauntoohil was busy last time I was there with people eating packed lunches etc, I didn't see any bins though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,928 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Antares35 wrote: »
    Same around here. Even during supposed lockdown, locals were out every Monday clearing up rubbish. Why come all the way to sit and admire the beautiful scenery... Then destroy it by f*cking your pizza box and kids nappy out the window?

throwing the kid's nappy out the window is the worst. only absolute scum do that.
    they should be sent to jail quite frankly as untreated human waste is a hazzard.

Antares35 wrote: »
    A new lockdown accessory apparently. They'll all be dumped when the kids are back at school and mammy and daddy return to the office.

correct unfortunately.
    they should be banned from owning future pets.

shut down alcohol action ireland now! end MUP today!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭PCeeeee

Ronaldinho wrote: »

The litterers are to blame. Completely.

Could the LA help the situation a bit. Definitely. But those at fault are the litterers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭jippo nolan

I don't buy this excuse, it shouldn't be up to them to provide bins everywhere and there would never be enough bins for when the weather is good.
    Where does it end? Do we have to have loads of bins everywhere people gather? The top of Carrauntoohil was busy last time I was there with people eating packed lunches etc, I didn't see any bins though!
    Did you use the escalator?

A dirty batsurd is exactly this and 99% of them wouldn't bother there ass to use a bin even if provided.
    Prosecutions by hitting them in the pocket would be more a thing councils could do.
    I understand in alot of cases they cannot be everywhere but there doesn't seem to be many prosecutions taking place.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

It's like when dog faeces on the footpath is immediately blamed on the Council for lack of doggy bins.

The buck stops with the dog owner.

Likewise, litter is the responsibility of the consumer

It probably will never stop because you reap what you sow, but any chance anyone has to sink one of these people should take it. Don't second guess or do the Irish ‘ah but shur’, if you see someone at it then do what you can to hit them in the pocket for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,589 ✭✭✭corks finest

A dirty batsurd is exactly this and 99% of them wouldn't bother there ass to use a bin even if provided.
    Prosecutions by hitting them in the pocket would be more a thing councils could do.
    I understand in alot of cases they cannot be everywhere but there doesn't seem to be many prosecutions taking place.

Yeah I agree ,worked painting front and back doors this morning in wilton area Cork, feckin house manky inside and outside, rubbish in the garden underwear socks etc in tbe front garden,this area is plush enough but you can spot the rented ones immediately,
    Know it's the landlords obligation to sort out the decorating etc but no excuses for the condition of some houses, practically had to burgle the gaff to get them.up for me to do the inside of the doors at 9.15

Just wondering is there any kind of lesson being taught in schools to kids at a young age about social responsibility regarding rubbish, recycling, hygiene environmental issues etc.

Just wondering is there any kind of lesson being taught in schools to kids at a young age about social responsibility regarding rubbish, recycling, hygiene environmental issues etc.

given it's such a problem in Ireland I really don't know why there aren't billboards and ads on TV about littering, or if there are I haven't seen any.

• Advertisement

given it's such a problem in Ireland I really don't know why there aren't billboards and ads on TV about littering, or if there are I haven't seen any.

Wouldn't hold my breath for signs. Where I recycle my glass there is a sign saying CCTV in operation. More time than enough there is a stash of black bags full of all kinds of rubbish underneath. I do really think some dirty fecker gets a kick out of it

Advertisement