Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Green Party wish list.

1787980818284»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,517 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Geuze wrote: »
    Myself and my friends have been saying for years that these people won't stop.

They see themselves as having "won" on several issues:

same-sex marriage
    abortion

We have often asked out loud "what's next?"

this gender stuff
    men having babies
    sex-ed - they are pushing to make it law to teach certain issues
    removing the importance of families / stay at home mothers
    restriction on what you can say, even though it's the truth
    positive discrimination for Africans: jobs, places on boards, etc.

What was your stance on SSM and abortion or would see that you 'won' or 'lost' those debates also?

The rest of your post looks like your are hypothesizing that here is what they 'could' be looking at next and in a few days someone will reference these points and take your post as a defacto manifesto.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,787 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

He's not wasting any time is he!! If they believe that 16 children have the same faculties as an adult, then IMO they believe sex with 16 y/o is not rape. Hence the first step toward in attempting to legitimize pedophilia. I find this very odd that after the other conversation was shut down for concerns "homophobia", Will any criticism or dissent be accused of being far right or homophobic? Its wrong.

Jeez you really are coming out with complete and utter drivel and nonsense. Trans children and paedophilia are entirely unrelated issues. This is just lies that the Minister wants to legitimise paedophilia.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Whatever about kids banging each other it's potentially safer than letting a kid get itself cut up in some surgery. Or the sometimes follow up surgery to try to go back. I actually don't get this myself, I wonder how many parents are actively pushing for or against it. I think children are far more at risk of a ruined life by poor parenting and truancy that feeling trapped in wrong sex body

No-one is advocating surgery for trans children

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

No-one is advocating surgery for trans children

then what are they advocating, and how far is too far.

is it just a change of details on a birth cert / passport , is it puberty blockers or hrt which I would consider a big issue for children, is the next step surgery ?

how far do you think a 14 year old, a 16 year old or an 18 year old should be allowed go with this ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

Geuze wrote: »
    Myself and my friends have been saying for years that these people won't stop.

They see themselves as having "won" on several issues:

same-sex marriage
    abortion

We have often asked out loud "what's next?"

this gender stuff
    men having babies
    sex-ed - they are pushing to make it law to teach certain issues
    removing the importance of families / stay at home mothers
    restriction on what you can say, even though it's the truth
    positive discrimination for Africans: jobs, places on boards, etc.

Not to forget reducing the size of Yorkie bars

• Advertisement

then what are they advocating, and how far is too far.

is it just a change of details on a birth cert / passport , is it puberty blockers or hrt which I would consider a big issue for children, is the next step surgery ?

how far do you think a 14 year old, a 16 year old or an 18 year old should be allowed go with this ?

Do you think there should be limitations on what an 18 year old can do?

Including them along with the 14 and 16 above looks like you have an issue with any surgery, rather than just the age of the person undergoing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,265 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Not quite it seems, he is taking part in a march outside the Dail on Saturday so looks like he isn't prepared to let O Gorman off the hook just yet.

The woke brigade are having a meltdown over on his twitter because H Kelly will be there as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Tea drinker

Jeez you really are coming out with complete and utter drivel and nonsense. Trans children and paedophilia are entirely unrelated issues. This is just lies that the Minister wants to legitimise paedophilia.
    The rationale another poster put forward seems sound to me - that lowering age for life altering surgery is a far more serious and life changing matter than when you lose your virginity (or are raped).
    But with quite regular occurrence it seems if you criticicise the Trans ideology you are a homophobe. This happened in the media literally today.
    He also tagged in "racist" to garner more effect in what seems to be a completely unrelated matter
    Hazel Chu has also been subjected to online attacks around race, said Mr O’Gorman.

“It’s an attempt by the far right to silence people from minorities and to suppress difference. They’ll use whatever they can to undermine those who seek to stand up to their agenda. But it certainly isn’t going to work with me.”
    Not the first time politicians pushed for lowering consent
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/norris-opposed-arbitrary-age-considerations-for-sexual-relations-1.614098

Anyway, the ironic thing in all this is the actual racists attacking the likes of Chu online have become useful idiots for o'Gorman to hide his own unrelated issues behind.

I'm just curious for the mandate for this, if there should be a referendum? What do people actually want from the government nobody elected?
    And certainly not for this, so who are they to trample on the public?
    Not quite it seems, he is taking part in a march outside the Dail on Saturday so looks like he isn't prepared to let O Gorman off the hook just yet.

The woke brigade are having a meltdown over on his twitter because H Kelly will be there as well.
    R Kelly ?

The rationale another poster put forward seems sound to me - that lowering age for life altering surgery is a far more serious and life changing matter than when you lose your virginity (or are raped).
    But with quite regular occurrence it seems if you criticicise the Trans ideology you are a homophobe. This happened in the media literally today.
    He also tagged in "racist" to garner more effect in what seems to be a completely unrelated matter

Not the first time politicians pushed for lowering consent
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/norris-opposed-arbitrary-age-considerations-for-sexual-relations-1.614098

Anyway, the ironic thing in all this is the actual racists attacking the likes of Chu online have become useful idiots for Ryan to hide his own unrelated issues behind.

I'm just curious for the mandate for this, if there should be a referendum? What do people actually want from the government nobody elected?
    And certainly not for this, so who are they to trample on the public?

Stop lying. Nobody is advocating surgery. Nobody is advocating paedophilia. Trans children and paedophilia are entirely separate issues. Yes I do think you are transphonbic trying to link the issue of trans children and paedophilia.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

• Advertisement

Stop lying. Nobody is advocating surgery. Nobody is advocating paedophilia. Trans children and paedophilia are entirely separate issues. Yes I do think you are transphonbic trying to link the issue of trans children and paedophilia.
    Well I don't think I'm transphobic for looking out for the rights for kids? Please provide evidence that surgery will not be provided for children (for clarity a person under 18) or withdraw your accusation. If you provide clear evidence I will withdraw my claims.
    Laws to make it easier for 16 and 17-year-olds to legally change their gender will be introduced by the new coalition under a commitment in the Programme for Government. The document also commits to examining the arrangements for children under 16 who may want to change gender.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/new-childrens-minister-to-make-it-easier-for-under-16s-to-change-their-gender-39346464.html

Here's Sweden, well on their journey
    The immediate trigger for Von Sivers’s themed week is a report from Sweden’s Board of Health and Welfare which confirmed a 1,500% rise between 2008 and 2018 in gender dysphoria diagnoses among 13- to 17-year-olds born as girls.

In the autumn of 2018, the Social Democrat-led government, under pressure from the gay, lesbian and transgender group RFSL, proposed a new law which would reduce the minimum age for sex reassignment medical care from 18 to 15, remove all need for parental consent, and allow children as young as 12 to change their legal gender.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2020/feb/22/ssweden-teenage-transgender-row-dysphoria-diagnoses-soar

• Registered Users Posts: 16,265 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

I asked him what he is going to replace it with but no reply as of yet.

He must be busy.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

he's smashing those identity politics buttons, i'll give him that.

Well I don't think I'm transphobic for looking out for the rights for kids? Please provide evidence that surgery will not be provided for children (for clarity a person under 18) or withdraw your accusation. If you provide clear evidence I will withdraw my claims.

Minister Regina Doherty was clear on this in 2019 - we are only talking about a legal change.

https://www.gov.ie/en/press-release/43aef0-minister-doherty-publishes-her-report-on-the-review-of-the-gender-re/
    The proposals outlined above relate solely to applications for legal gender recognition. Other aspects of transitioning such as social transitioning, medical intervention, or surgical procedures, are separate from this process and should not be confused with the process of legal recognition. Decisions relating to medical or surgical procedures require the input of medical professionals. The purpose of legal recognition is for the State to affirm a person’s gender identity and to provide documentation that is consistent with the person’s preferred gender.

Terry Pratchet

Minister Regina Doherty was clear on this in 2019 - we are only talking about a legal change.

https://www.gov.ie/en/press-release/43aef0-minister-doherty-publishes-her-report-on-the-review-of-the-gender-re/
    Fair play I withdraw my claims on the gender surgery.
    I can delete the posts or we can keep the record of them, let me know your preference.

Some messed up ideals when a newly appointed minister is being knocked for doing things like trying to tackle racism.

WTF did you vote for your representative to do at the last election?

Fair play I withdraw my claims on the gender surgery.
    I can delete the posts or we can keep the record of them, let me know your preference.

I'm fine with leaving it as is - I apologise as well for mistaking some of your posts with those of another poster who was talking about legitimising paedophilia. I realise you didnt say that.

Terry Pratchet

then what are they advocating,

An administrative process to change gender legally. Thats it.

Terry Pratchet

I'm fine with leaving it as is - I apologise as well for mistaking some of your posts with those of another poster who was talking about legitimising paedophilia. I realise you didnt say that.
    Sound, have a good evening :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,569 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

Only.

What is really insane is how sex as understood for generations to refer to sex. unambiguous biology. But under Fine gael and this new gov the understanding has changed to refer to the fuzzy concept of gender, that was developed only in the 1960s but sociologist and which many academics dont even believe in but according to the PC canon exists in dozens of varieties.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

We are the laggards in Europe when it comes to Solar.

The GINOs want to tax everything that moves.
    How about letting us sell back green PV power to the ESB?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

not a chance, somebody will make up something about it not being safe or something,

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Pkiernan, so you have solar power enough to power your house, and you want to sell the excess electricity you have in your batteries to ESB?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,670 ✭✭✭buried

Pkiernan wrote: »
    We are the laggards in Europe when it comes to Solar.

But sure the leader of the Greens is a laggard himself when it comes to staying awake at work.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭enricoh

Seems like a no-brainer. Every shed I see in the north has them, must be a decent earner up there.
    We've a few good sized sheds on the farm and as soon as it's worth it we'll put up panels.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭Pa ElGrande

Careful what you ask for. Latest news from Australia, these may not be the money sh!tting machines people once thought they were. Electrical grids were not designed for small power sources at individual homes. There are engineering things and costs that must be done to enable that to occur.

Another reason why it is not a good idea to install solar panels on roofs, is the dust problem.

Solar panel efficiency drops by from 26% to 40% due to dust with time, until there is rain, which reflects light.

In Germany, home solar panels were subsidised and pushed because the politicians liked the advertising effect of visible panels, they are being used combined with batteries for home storage systems. Germany has the most expensive electricity prices in Europe.

Solar households can soon be charged for their exports
    In its annual State of the Energy Market report, the Australian Energy Market Regulator has suggested that solar households should be asked to pay a network fee to be allowed to export energy to the grid.
    <snip>
    In its report, the AER has highlighted voltage problems that are allegedly caused by the rising share of rooftop PV. “Forward and reverse power flows through a distribution network fluctuate widely during the day,” the AER said. “This fluctuation can impact the quality and reliability of power supplies at certain times, especially during periods of very high or low demand, when voltage instability is more likely.” According to the AER, these costs affect all customers but are not charged to rooftop solar owners, so are not factored into householder investment decisions.

source

Rooftop solar panel owners could be getting charged fees to sell energy back to the grid
    Mr Preus said he had installed his household solar PV system to save money and help the environment, but was now questioning his investment.

"We'll never, ever in our lifetime recoup our investment, the return is just not there."

But welfare groups including the Australian Council of Social Service and St Vincent de Paul Society are backing the move to charge people who export power.

Under the rule change proposal put forward by ACOSS (ACOSS) and the Total Environment Centre, solar owners would only pay if they chose to increase their export limit beyond a base level.

source

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭Heroditas

We can expect to see a feed in tariff in some form next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

Another reason why it is not a good idea to install solar panels on roofs, is the dust problem.

Ah yeah, the old dust problem. That's all you ever hear people talking about whenever solar panels come up in discussion.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,160 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

enricoh wrote: »
    Seems like a no-brainer. Every shed I see in the north has them, must be a decent earner up there.
    We've a few good sized sheds on the farm and as soon as it's worth it we'll put up panels.

They run the wood chips off the solar, and the solar off the wood chips, and save two hundred pound a year...

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,256 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Threads merged

Advertisement