Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ridiculous toll charges

Options
  • 20-11-2018 4:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭

Hi everyone I got a solictor’s letter today from Pears/Fitzgibbon,about incurring toll charges €1400 to be exact, if I don’t pay it in a lump sum I’ll be facing court proceedings,any advice on the matter??? Worried here.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭how.gareth

candycock wrote: »
    Hi everyone I got a solictor’s letter today from Pears/Fitzgibbon,about incurring toll charges €1400 to be exact, if I don’t pay it in a lump sum I’ll be facing court proceedings,any advice on the matter??? Worried here.

First you’ve ever heard of owing the money?

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭Neewollah

Is this an M50 eflow Toll that you forgot to pay?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,042 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

it really depends if its the first you've heard of it or not.

If its a legit bill that's gone this far contact them and agree a payment plan if you cant afford the lump sum.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭candycock

Firstly it was from 2017,and it was €150,I was making payments weekly and then I lost my job and spent a lot of time in hospital,I rang them today and asked could I pay installments but they refused and want it payed in a lump some, I don’t no what to do,I’m still unemployed and can’t get that sort of money together.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭TheQuietFella

Well maybe if you paid your toll charges in the first place you wouldn't be in this situation!
    Little sympathy for you! Karma always comes back and bites you in the a**e!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,042 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

Firstly it was from 2017,and it was €150,I was making payments weekly and then I lost my job and spent a lot of time in hospital,I rang them today and asked could I pay installments but they refused and want it payed in a lump some, I don’t no what to do,I’m still unemployed and can’t get that sort of money together.

Its best to get legal advice at this stage, There are a number of free legal clinics available.

Id ensure that you get some sort of written statement that you offered to pay in installments. Send them an e-mail or, if no e-mail address a registered letter offering to resolve the issue through installments. ( keep a copy of any mail posted)

I can sympathise because I'm constantly forgetting to pay before the 8pm next day deadline and getting the double charge.

Recently I forgot to pay the double charge and it jumps up to around 50 quid which is an extortionate increase. Rang them up and they were fine. She just charged me the original fine and that's all they wanted.

I suspect they will not want this to go to court because if you are unable to afford it and have some genuine reasons and were laid up for while a good solicitor in court would make a good case and they would risk not getting paid and then having to pay legal fees.

They are more than likely playing hardball to try and scare you into paying the full amount. If you are tough back with them I suspect they will settle for installments and at a smaller sum of money too.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,250 ✭✭✭markpb

1. Get a solicitor, even a free legal clinic one.

2. Send a letter to the solicitors (there's not point contacting eFlow anymore) showing that you made payments, that you're currently unemployed (send proof of this) and offer to restart your instalment plan. Keep a copy of the letter and of any correspondence.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

The main problem looks like you defaulted on the first installment plan they offered you, consult a MABS and take it from there.

But my own personal advice for future, never ignore payments, demands, arrears letters etc, talk to them first before it gets out of hand.

https://www.mabs.ie/en/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Masala

Neewollah wrote: »
    I can sympathise because I'm constantly forgetting to pay before the 8pm next day deadline and getting the double charge.

Recently I forgot to pay the double charge and it jumps up to around 50 quid which is an extortionate increase. Rang them up and they were fine. She just charged me the original fine and that's all they wanted.

I suspect they will not want this to go to court because if you are unable to afford it and have some genuine reasons and were laid up for while a good solicitor in court would make a good case and they would risk not getting paid and then having to pay legal fees.

They are more than likely playing hardball to try and scare you into paying the full amount. If you are tough back with them I suspect they will settle for installments and at a smaller sum of money too.

Why dont users register a credit/card on the system and let them take it automatically???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,796 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

If you're still using the M50 toll bridge, get yourself a video account sharpish.

Costs nothing and will prevent a repeat of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,963 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

If OP does not act upon the letter it it will go to a district court for a criminal case, and not a civil case. Non payment of a toll is an offence so a guilty verdict will have repercussions beyond the built up charges, which will still have to be addressed as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭how.gareth

Get a TAG people! Costs €1.20 a month and you never have to remember to pay them, ye also only get charged €2.10 per use instead of €3.10

• Registered Users Posts: 24,952 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

... I'm constantly forgetting to pay before the 8pm next day..
    If you are constantly forgetting to pay I assume you're constantly using the toll roads. Why not get a tag? :confused:

If you are constantly forgetting to pay I assume you're constantly using the toll roads. Why not get a tag? :confused:

Wouldn't be that frequent but probably just about enough to warrant a tag!!! Been talking about that long enough too!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,418 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Wouldn't be that frequent but probably just about enough to warrant a tag!!! Been talking about that long enough too!!!
    If, like me, you don't use the M50 toll that often and don't use the other toll motorways that often either, get a video account instead. It's like a tag account, but without the tag.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,841 ✭✭✭Squatter

Your thread title is completely incorrect. You're not facing "ridiculous toll charges" you're facing "ridiculous" penalty charges for not paying small toll charges. Big difference.

My advice is to pay what you can to the solicitors, ideally by sending them a cheque. That way, you will have proof that you have made an attempt to pay the debt and, even if they refuse to accept it, you will have evidence that, despite having a very small income, you made a genuine attempt to reduce the amount owed should the matter go to court. The judge will take that into account.

And don't send them a tenner - because that's taking the piss - send them at least €50.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭sodacat11

Those tolls are just a way of extorting money from the public. Little doubt in my mind that some politicians pocketed a few brown envelopes before the idea of paying private companies vast amounts of public money to maintain a couple of kilometres of road was ever passed in the first place.
    Another rip off these companies is guilty of was recently highlighted on Liveline on RTE. A lot of the time when you go through the 1.90 euro exact amount gate the barrier won't lift until you throw in an extra ten cents. The Toll company must be raking in a huge amount of untaxed money with this little convenient glitch in their system.
    I wouldn't pay those ridiculous fines, send them the 2 euro or whatever you forgot to pay by registered post then tell them to shove it up the shortest route to their Glutus Maximus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,841 ✭✭✭Squatter

Phew! Good to see that I got in just before the intellectuals arrived on their donkeys!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

Maybe offer 700 euros. That would be a win win all-round.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭candycock

Hi folks, just an update on my situation,I found the receipts where I had paid my tolls,then they rang me to say they have located the payments and I had an out standing balance of €50,which I paid today,probably solved.

Hi folks, just an update on my situation,I found the receipts where I had paid my tolls,then they rang me to say they have located the payments and I had an out standing balance of €50,which I paid today,probably solved.

Great to hear

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Good to hear an arrangement was made that worked out for you. OP, you seem to be a very frequent user of the M50 to drum up such large charges. Seriously set yourself up for direct debit or an e-tag to.get cheaper tolls each time you use it without having to worry about paying a costlier toll before 8pm next evening. Even if you're unemployed, it is a more affordable option that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Mr. TTime

Piggybacking on thread:

Hi All, quick question. I went through the toll (in my wife's car) about two weeks ago and forgot to pay the fine before 8pm the following day. We have been waiting for a letter to arrive since which will allow me to pay for the toll plus the fine. No letter has arrived and I have contacted them on twitter asking them to get in touch because there does not seem to be any phone number on which to get them.

What is the story with these letters and does anyone know how long they typically take to arrive? Also if anyone has a phone number for the toll office that would be good too. Many thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 21,418 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Mr. TTime wrote: »
    Also if anyone has a phone number for the toll office that would be good too. Many thanks
    https://www.eflow.ie/contact-us/personal/

• Registered Users Posts: 16,878 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Neewollah wrote:

You can register for a video tag. There is no standing charge, unlike the toll tag. Video tag charges 50c more than a toll tag but also 50c cheaper than no tag at all. Great for people who don't use the west link often.

Another option is the Eflow app. I have no idea how this works but the ads say no more fines

• Registered Users Posts: 9,403 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Mr. TTime wrote: »
    Hi All, quick question. I went through the toll (in my wife's car) about two weeks ago and forgot to pay the fine before 8pm the following day. We have been waiting for a letter to arrive since which will allow me to pay for the toll plus the fine.s
    You don't need a letter to pay the toll, do you? Just go to eflow.ie and put in your registration.

Edit: Assuming it was the M50 toll you went through.

Double edit: Didn't realize you needed to put in a reference number once you've missed the deadline. More info here:
    https://www.eflow.ie/help-guidance/faqs/penalties/ive-missed-the-payment-de/

• Registered Users Posts: 16,878 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Mr. TTime wrote:
    What is the story with these letters and does anyone know how long they typically take to arrive? Also if anyone has a phone number for the toll office that would be good too. Many thanks

Ring today and explain what happened. Usually if you offer or agree to open a video tag account they will wipe off the small fines. The video tag won't cost you a penny unless you use the bridge. No standing charge. They are great to have but worth it even if its just to get away with the fine

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Mr. TTime

Alun wrote: »

How did I not see that? :confused:

Thanks you for pointing it out. Appreciate it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭TCM

Neewollah wrote:

Neewollah wrote:

No excuse. Just get a tag - and it's cheaper than pay as you go.

Advertisement