Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Arcade & Retro Chat' Special Championship Edition

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,425 ✭✭✭Inviere

Normally threads get closed at 10,000. Years ago however threads were left to grow much, much larger, these threads caused the hamsters no end of trouble, so they got deleted recently I believe. So that's probably where all your gems went.

Shame those threads weren’t split instead of deleted. There was always a big emphasis behind the scenes with never losing content

• Registered Users Posts: 6,175 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Super Hang On, Streets of Rage 2 and Policenauts vinyl back in stock on Sunday at 5pm for those interested :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,845 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Inviere wrote: »
    Shame those threads weren’t split instead of deleted. There was always a big emphasis behind the scenes with never losing content

Yeah, don't know the ins and outs of it but I agree, especially as there is such a big push to make sure gdpr or whatever it's called doesn't wreck content going forward.

In other news, pretty sad my ZX Spectrum Next isn't going to be under the tree this year. Late spring is my guess.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,524 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Is the Atari 2600 portable worth getting?
    It's €35 in Smyth's at the moment and certainly looks the part.

atari-retro-handheld.png

• Registered Users Posts: 8,930 ✭✭✭Doge

o1s1n wrote: »
    How long is a piece of string! :D

Depends entirely on what comes up as they're pretty uncommon.

That recent 14 inch one I got was 120 on Donedeal. That's in and around what I've sold some of that size for in the past.

Only thing you can do really is bide your time, keep checking adverts/donedeal and hope that something comes up.

It's also worth subscribing to all of the alerts on dragonbox in case any show up for sale (they tend to sell out fast when they do)

https://www.dragonbox.de/en/191-monitors

I second the BVMs and PVMs on dragon box despite mine being thrown around by UPS but they refunded me 50 euro for minor cosmetic damage!

• Advertisement

CiDeRmAn wrote: »

atari-retro-handheld.png

Amazon reviews suggest you’d be as well off with a bag of white dog ****. I needed a stocking filler and was looking at these, but moved on quick enough.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,180 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

CiDeRmAn wrote: »

atari-retro-handheld.png

Its not great.
    I picked up one of the c64minis for 49 and its not bad. ( once you put the new firmware on which makes it easy to load games from usb)

Dr Bob wrote: »
    Its not great.
    I picked up one of the c64minis for 49 and its not bad. ( once you put the new firmware on which makes it easy to load games from usb)

49 euro? I could almost stomach buying a c64 mini for that price. Sh*te joystick and all.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,283 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I was walking down Westmoreland Street yesterday evening at about 6pm and there was a truck parked up with a line of arcade machines in the back.

They looked to me like either done up jamma cabs or some modern full sized recreations. Could kind of make out what looked like a SF2 marquee and bezel on one of them.

Torn between getting a PSP or PSTV. I have no real interest in Vita games so that's not a must.

Playing some PSP on my phone at the moment and I do miss handheld gaming but PSTV may be a better system for DualShock, better screen/sound via TV etc.

Any thoughts? Haven't played a PSP since the unreliable 1000 model about 10 years ago. Just looking to do some light gaming. Ridge Racer, Darkstalkers, Lumines etc.

Upside is I have a One4All voucher so could pick up a PSP in the Rage. Likely a 2000 model, don't think there's a huge difference between the 3000 model. Must look into it. Then need to look at one of those SD card adaptors.

Just wondering is it silly to consider a PSP?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,380 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

o1s1n wrote: »
    I was walking down Westmoreland Street yesterday evening at about 6pm and there was a truck parked up with a line of arcade machines in the back.

They looked to me like either done up jamma cabs or some modern full sized recreations. Could kind of make out what looked like a SF2 marquee and bezel on one of them.

There must be a crowd doing this for christmas partys because a mate of mine who works in WorkDay sent me an image of cabs at his christmas party, they had them last year too. there was a generic woody with Xmen artwork on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,716 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

There must be a crowd doing this for christmas partys because a mate of mine who works in WorkDay sent me an image of cabs at his christmas party, they had them last year too. there was a generic woody with Xmen artwork on it.

They were generics as alright, 60-in-1 and LCD's, ya grand for a quick bash of nostalgia but wouldn't be attempting a world record attempt on them :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,702 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

DaveyDave wrote: »
    Torn between getting a PSP or PSTV. I have no real interest in Vita games so that's not a must.

Playing some PSP on my phone at the moment and I do miss handheld gaming but PSTV may be a better system for DualShock, better screen/sound via TV etc.

Any thoughts? Haven't played a PSP since the unreliable 1000 model about 10 years ago. Just looking to do some light gaming. Ridge Racer, Darkstalkers, Lumines etc.

Upside is I have a One4All voucher so could pick up a PSP in the Rage. Likely a 2000 model, don't think there's a huge difference between the 3000 model. Must look into it. Then need to look at one of those SD card adaptors.

I'd honestly just get a Vita. More reliable and a better screen. I've a PS TV but the resolution of PSP and Vita games looks crummy on a modern TV. Only issue of course is the insane prices of memory cards.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I'd honestly just get a Vita. More reliable and a better screen. I've a PS TV but the resolution of PSP and Vita games looks crummy on a modern TV. Only issue of course is the insane prices of memory cards.

Do these things work ?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/XBERSTAR-Version3-0-SD2VITA-Adapter-Henkaku/dp/B075SZ3QV3

Have something similar for my PSP and no problems with them.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,702 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I wouldn't know but it's worth a try as those vita cards are a total rip off.

Do these things work ?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/XBERSTAR-Version3-0-SD2VITA-Adapter-Henkaku/dp/B075SZ3QV3

Have something similar for my PSP and no problems with them.

Works once you've hacked your vita.

PSTV hands down compared to a PSP. I find the controls & screen fairly brutal on a PSP. If you throw a Vita into the mix, then it's a different question. I'm not a big fan of handheld gaming so my vote goes to a PSTV given the benefits of being able to use a Dual Shock controller AND being able to connect an external hdd for storage (once you hack the PSTV that is).

The memory card adapters for the Vita require a modded system, they'll not work otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

Just saw this on FB

Panzer Dragoon 1&2 are getting the remake treatment
    https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2018-12-10-panzer-dragoon-1-and-2-are-getting-the-remake-treatment

Would love if they did Saga. Really wish more people had the opportunity to play and enjoy that game. It really is incredible and ahead of it's time and for me the best of the 32-bit RPGs.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,524 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Just saw this on FB

Panzer Dragoon 1&2 are getting the remake treatment
    https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2018-12-10-panzer-dragoon-1-and-2-are-getting-the-remake-treatment

It'll go nicely with my Saturn originals others games not to mention my PS2 remaster of the first title.

• Advertisement

I've never played Panzer Dragoon, I think it tends to fly under the radar. I was surprised to learn they're on rails shooters which I'm a big fan off but they never seem to be mentioned.

Seems they're both fairly expensive :(

I've never played Panzer Dragoon, I think it tends to fly under the radar. I was surprised to learn they're on rails shooters which I'm a big fan off but they never seem to be mentioned.

Saga is expensive, the others should be pretty cheap ? Unless Saturn collecting as got to hell as well..

They were going for 10-15 a couple of years ago. They are not rare at all. Just inflated prices because they are Saturn games I suppose.

The first game has dated quite a bit. It's still fun but quite limited, you wouldn't play it more than once and think as a rail shooter it's good but not great.

Panzer Dragoon Zwei on the other hand is a good choice for best rail shooter ever made. The levels are much better designed, the branching levels are a great innovation and overall it's a much more solid and replayable package than the first game. I'd rank it up there with Starfox, Starfox 64 and Panzer Dragoon Orta as the best of its genre.

Quick look at current listings is 50+ for each. Don't know what they're selling for though but I'll keep an eye at Zwei at least. Be a shame to miss it.

So I solved my PSTV decision. Rather than emulating PSP games on a Vita or PSTV I thought I'd just hook up a laptop with a 360 controller. Not as pure as original hardware but I think I can make an exception for this rather than spending €100+ on hardware.

Just playing Ridge Racer so far. Apart from the HUD being gigantic it doesn't look to bad considering the TV is 10 times the size of the PSP screen :D hard to believe the PSP came out 14 years ago :O

yQUEM6M.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭megaten

psp games generally upscale pretty well.

megaten wrote: »
    psp games generally upscale pretty well.

Sometimes, 2D ones can look a bit blurry and Black Rock Shooter looks fuuuuugly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭megaten

Sometimes, 2D ones can look a bit blurry and Black Rock Shooter looks fuuuuugly.

Black Rock shooter is such a weird game, not that I played much of it. It doesn't appear to have anything to do with any of the other incarnations like the song or OVA.

Loved this track in the OST though.

• Advertisement

That depends on what's doing the upscaling ;) PPSSPP can go well beyond the stock resolutions

Advertisement