Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is my accommodation a scam?

• 29-06-2018 7:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭

Hello,
    I think I have gotten accommodation in Limerick for if I attend UL in September but I worry it is a scam. The landlady seems nice and open on phone and email but the two times I have been to Limerick looking for accommodation we planned to meet but she rang twice saying once she had a meeting in Dublin and second time had to go away to babysit for a wedding. It is 'digs' accommodation btw. How can I know it's not a scam and if to look elsewhere? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭LandersDublin

MadDog1999 wrote: »
    Hello,
    I think I have gotten accommodation in Limerick for if I attend UL in September but I worry it is a scam. The landlady seems nice and open on phone and email but the two times I have been to Limerick looking for accommodation we planned to meet but she rang twice saying once she had a meeting in Dublin and second time had to go away to babysit for a wedding. It is 'digs' accommodation btw. How can I know it's not a scam and if to look elsewhere? Thanks

Why do you believe it's a scam, cause she hasn't yet met you in person. You don't pay any money whatsoever till the keys are in your hand.

Has UL not got a housing team?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

If you've not met the Landlady hand over no money.

If she can't meet you, look elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭MadDog1999

If you've not met the Landlady hand over no money.

If she can't meet you, look elsewhere.

She said I don't have to pay a deposit yet and that she'd hold it for me after talking on the phone so it seems hard to just give up on

And plus the house was on ULs student union accommodation list

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

I'd be less worried if you've not to pay any money yet. Sound more like disorganisation than a scam.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭NinetyTwoTeam

MadDog1999 wrote: »
    She said I don't have to pay a deposit yet and that she'd hold it for me after talking on the phone so it seems hard to just give up on

And plus the house was on ULs student union accommodation list

In general a scammer will try to get money off you up front to hold a place. She's not doing that. She's actually doing the opposite. You can't get scammed unless you've paid, why are you worrying so much? It's nowhere near the start of college right now, and if it was on the list she's probably done it before without problems.

Relax.

• Advertisement
Advertisement