Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Drought/Low Rainfall Watch - Summer 2018

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,498 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

• Registered Users Posts: 18,096 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Should be a light refreshments tomorrow for some areas at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

^^^^ That pic of Kildare is unreal. Similar here in Wicklow, never seen the landscape looking as scorched!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Well , we were blessed here with a sudden, loud heavy shower... I was asleep ( not well) and I leapt out of bed... Wonderful sound. Cat was asleep outside and got soaked :D.. Heavy, dark , cumbersome skies....
    and raining still...no mountains..

West Mayo, offshore island

• Registered Users Posts: 10,054 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Looks to be a big fire just west of Galway city.not sure if its gorse or what.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

sideswipe wrote: »
    ^^^^ That pic of Kildare is unreal. Similar here in Wicklow, never seen the landscape looking as scorched!

Agree. Can't remember the last time it rained in Arklow. Place in turning to dust.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

There's a distinct sweet woody smell in the air at the moment when walking near trees & vegetation, reminds me of walking through the forests in Australia

Graces7 wrote: »
    Well , we were blessed here with a sudden, loud heavy shower... I was asleep ( not well) and I leapt out of bed... Wonderful sound. Cat was asleep outside and got soaked :D.. Heavy, dark , cumbersome skies....
    and raining still...no mountains..

And a dim, grey, cool drizzly evening... Lovely and refreshing.. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,672 ✭✭✭Rougies

Today's NASA sat pic was the clearest in a few days, with the most affected drought areas visible. The "absolute drought" could possibly end tomorrow for many places.

Here's a comparison of today with a satellite pic from around this time last year (17th July 2017 is the closest date with a clear satellite image). The difference is striking.

jHywwCZ.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Surprised to see all that cloud so close by on that sat image. Splitting the rocks here all day.

New Moon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,114 ✭✭✭pad199207

Looking at my stats I’ve only had 49mm of rainfall since April 17th.

Tomorrow will be my 21st consecutive day without rain recorded. My previous record was 18 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

LaoisWeather (@LaoisWeather) Tweeted:
    Defrosting freezer ice to make water for the wet bulb thermometer tank because your 1.5 litre stock of rainwater has run out. #drought18 @JoannaDonnellyL @MetEireann @METclimate https://t.co/RhB4ViM891 https://twitter.com/LaoisWeather/status/1016814814738477057?s=17

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Surprised to see all that cloud so close by on that sat image. Splitting the rocks here all day.

It was taken at about 13:00. You would probably have seen that bank of cloud looking north if you went outside :P

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Water discovered in Wexford. :)

At the southern end of the Enniscorthy bypass there's water literally flowing out of the ground from where the contractor dug into a bank where a field used to meet the existing N11. The ground below is saturated while the field above is bone dry and rock hard with the grass burnt yellow.

Rougies wrote: »
    It was taken at about 13:00. You would probably have seen that bank of cloud looking north if you went outside :P

I was outside for much of the afternoon and the sky was Med-like. Only noteworthy cloud that I saw was some white high stuff to the W/NW.

New Moon

pad199207 wrote: »
    Looking at my stats I’ve only had 49mm of rainfall since April 17th.

Tomorrow will be my 21st consecutive day without rain recorded. My previous record was 18 days.

How does it compare in your stats to Sept 2013 (or was it 2014) when there was very little if any rain recorded over much of the country?

New Moon

How does it compare in your stats to Sept 2013 (or was it 2014) when there was very little if any rain recorded over much of the country?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,114 ✭✭✭pad199207

Yeah Sept 2014 is my driest month on record. But longest dry period was 8 days

A mild,wet, misty morning. The crashing of ocean waves, and wind music. Not heavy rain but enough to moisten and start to heal and freshen. The elderberries are all but lost but hope for blackberries, rose hips, sloes...

Loving it!

Just considering Shannon's highest mean maxima averaged over a consecutive 7 day period (referred to earlier in this thread) of 29.3c this year, this makes it the highest average 7 day running max temp in this station's history going back to 1945, so however the recent heatwave will compare generally to other heatwaves such as 2013, 2003, 1995, 1983, 1976 etc, in terms of intensity over a 7 day period, the heatwave of late June 2018 is without precedent at Shannon Airport at least.

New Moon

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,684 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Light rain being reported at Dublin AP at 1030.

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Light rain being reported at Dublin AP at 1030.

Yeah, drizzle here in Dublin 13.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭skeogh82

sryanbruen wrote: »
    Yeah, drizzle here in Dublin 13.

I realised it was raining when I smelled it through the window - so fine you wouldn’t even see it unless you were looking carefully!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

3.2mm of rain dropped this morning in Castlebar, up to 5.1mm of rain in 22 days now.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,684 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

A little drizzle/light rain now in Dublin 16.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,409 ✭✭✭Trebor176

Light rain in D22 now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Mobhi1

I just noticed the ground was damp here in Glasnevin, for the first time in ages. It's 17.8C. RH 80%.

DOCARCH wrote: »
    A little drizzle/light rain now in Dublin 16.

Gone now. Barely enough to lightly dampen the ground.

Dublin and Casement reporting 0.01mm at 12:00 and Dublin 0.01mm again at 13:00. I didn't catch the earlier reports but I imagine they were similar.

I wonder if will we even break a hair's breadth of rain today? The thickness of a human hair is on average about 70 microns (0.07mm)

• Advertisement

Advertisement