Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Are accents being lost?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭GreenFolder2

I've spent the last 30 years in Cork, but I still sound like I've just "cum up from t' pit" :(

And why do certain Irish people insist on asking me if I'm "owrite moite" in an Eastenders accent? God, I hate that :mad:

I was actually really annoyed when this random yank on an Irish train asked me where I was from. I said Dublin and he told me "you oughta work on your Irish accent buddy".

I told him he oghta work on his social skills!

(I wasn't even speaking to him! This was from over hearing me take phone call)

I hate that attitude. It's not an Irish themed part of Disneyland. Clearly I wasn't doing a jig while saying be gorragh and be jeepers to be sure to be sure

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Hanwellian

Because all English people have an accent that's between Barking and Basildon.............

Ummm, no. Never heard anyone from the West Country, Liverpool, Yorkshire, Newcastle, Birmingham, I could go on. Not alike at all.

Even Londoner's have variations of accent, e.g. West London and South London are varied.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭Winterlong

I was down home over the christmas and got an awful slagging for losing my accent. I left home 25 years ago.
    But the dubs slag me for my non-dublin accent.

#Cantwin.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

Rightwing wrote: »
    I'm talking real african, the congo, nigeria type

My niece was born in Uganda to a Tanzanian mother and speaks with a thick Wicklow accent.

21/25

• Registered Users Posts: 5,906 ✭✭✭leakyboots

I'm talking real african, the congo, nigeria type

Sean Og (and his mom/mam/mammy) was born in Fiji, not Africa ;)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭Lt Dan

I was actually really annoyed when this random yank on an Irish train asked me where I was from. I said Dublin and he told me "you oughta work on your Irish accent buddy".

I told him he oghta work on his social skills!

(I wasn't even speaking to him! This was from over hearing me take phone call)

I hate that attitude. It's not an Irish themed part of Disneyland. Clearly I wasn't doing a jig while saying be gorragh and be jeepers to be sure to be sure

Please tell me you actually bluntly told him to work on his social skills. What a clown that Yank was. You should have asked him what did he really know about Irish life.

What was his reaction ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭troyzer

Slightly unrelated but a general comment on the power of media to influence accents. When I was living in Albania I was staying with a man and his family. I knew the man before but the only common language we had was German, he doesn't have a word of English. His daughter however, was born post-communism and so her English is excellent. I'm not joking when I say you could place her in the middle of the US and she'd be fine. Her accent is perfect American, completely indistinguishable. The interesting thing was that she lived in rural Albania and didn't get to actually speak the language frequently. She taught herself English just from watching American TV.

*Edit* Not just TV. There's a government sponsored organisation in America called the Peace Corps which takes college graduates and sends them abroad for two years to teach English in Indonesia, build houses in South Africa and that kind of thing. So she was largely self taught by American TV but also American English teachers.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Didas

It will be interesting to hear a young black man or pole from kerry, will they have that accent

What about Donegal?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Accents are revealing.

If somebody speaks in the accent of the place they are from regardless of context, chances are that you're dealing with a confident and self-assured person.

If their accent is an affection and bears no relation to their origins, I'll make the leap and assume that they have confidence issues and there are insecurities about how they are perceived by others - of course, we all like to be perceived well by others but changing your accent goes too far and is telling.

topper75 wrote: »
    Accents are revealing.

If somebody speaks in the accent of the place they are from regardless of context, chances are that you're dealing with a confident and self-assured person.

If their accent is an affection and bears no relation to their origins, I'll make the leap and assume that they have confidence issues and there are insecurities about how they are perceived by others - of course, we all like to be perceived well by others but changing your accent goes too far and is telling.

What if the accent of the area is in and of itself an affection? I'm thinking of the D4 accent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭schizo1014

Didas wrote: »
    What about Donegal?

I know a few Black people here that speak with a better Donegal accent than some locals.

One thing I find odd is people from Donegal who like to boost about the Donegal accent being "the best in the world" when they sound like something off MTV. Aye right yas fecking eejits

As for the OP I don't think they are being lost, not in rural areas at least. 10 minutes either direction of my home and people have nearly completely different accents I'm sure its the same elsewhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

Glenster wrote: »
    I know what faux means.

I just meant, surely someone's accent is their accent.

Just because they aren't talking like their great uncle Pol who ate silage for breakfast lunch and dinner doesn't mean their accent is less acceptable surely.
    That's pretty much what I said, but with 100% less sarcasm.
    Hanwellian wrote: »
    Because all English people have an accent that's between Barking and Basildon.............

Ummm, no. Never heard anyone from the West Country, Liverpool, Yorkshire, Newcastle, Birmingham, I could go on. Not alike at all.

Even Londoner's have variations of accent, e.g. West London and South London are varied.
    The guy you are responding to was being sarcastic.

I'm beginning to think that accents aside, we have a national crisis in sarcasm detection.
    Accents are revealing.

I'll make a leap and assume that someone who has a problem with accent drift is deeply insecure about their nationality and clings to audible signalling like a limpet. See, I can make **** up too.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Used to find that a lot of the bogger women down in UL developed D4 accents.

Work that one out if you can.

:confused::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭tonycascarino

it's the influence of American TV on them.

I do not believe this theory at all. People born and bred in this country change their accent because they think it will make them sound more important and it is down to insecurities. I and many others grew up watching loads of American and British TV but it hasn't influenced my accent or others in the slightest.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

troyzer wrote: »
    What if the accent of the area is in and of itself an affection? I'm thinking of the D4 accent.
    I worked and lived near the D4 postcode for a while. People didn't talk like that.

If you are referring to the 'Dort' accent - that is purely an affectation and does not have any region as a natural accent would have.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Electric Sheep

It's really sad listening to people (mainly girls) only a few years younger than myself without a hint of their proper accent and having this horrible americanised accent.

It's clearly a deliberate affectation of an accent and not naturally occurring as I've watched 1000's of hours of American television and films and haven't picked up an accent.

Accents are good and anything different and unique in this increasingly homogenized world is good.
    There are many influences on accent, region is not the only one. Who gets to decide what someone's "proper" accent should be? You?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

I've noticed it with the kids alright. My niece and her friends seem so have a slight American accent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,448 ✭✭✭✭Cupcake_Crisis

McGaggs wrote: »
    Work Snapchat?

I work in a salon, we have a snapchat! Fairly common practice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Mr. FoggPatches

Daniel O'Donnell has ruined the Donegal accent for me :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Yourself isit

Accents are as thick and incomprehensible in this country as ever. Relax.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

I've spent the last 30 years in Cork, but I still sound like I've just "cum up from t' pit" :(

And why do certain Irish people insist on asking me if I'm "owrite moite" in an Eastenders accent? God, I hate that :mad:

Since I've been in the UK all I hear is "top of the morning".

I worked and lived near the D4 postcode for a while. People didn't talk like that.

If you are referring to the 'Dort' accent - that is purely an affectation and does not have any region as a natural accent would have.

Having spent four years in Trinity originally from a working class family the universality of the Dort accent and its association with D4 is staggering. You might be right that it's an affectation but if it is, it's persistent amongst an entire generation of people from that area. Which just means a new regional accent is forming.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

Iwasfrozen wrote: »
    I think so, ease of travel and communication is blending accents and standardising our English.

A good thing, imo.

Really? even though they are still murdering the English language.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

Accents are changing, languages evolve, that's just the way it is and always has been.
    Do you ever wonder why young women in the UK don't change their original accents?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

some middle-class dubliners want to be american for some reason...:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 564 ✭✭✭2ygb4cmqetsjhx

Has anyone ever heard the Drogheda accent? It's ****ing depressing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Electric Sheep

Sam Kade wrote: »
    Accents are changing, languages evolve, that's just the way it is and always has been.
    Do you ever wonder why young women in the UK don't change their original accents?
    I've met plenty of men and women in the UK who changed their accents.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭me_right_one

Putting on an American or otherwise posh accent, should be punishable by law. Having foul smelling slurry is punishable, creating noise pollution is punishable, so this should definitely incur a fine at the very least. I'm serious.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭tonycascarino

Putting on an American or otherwise posh accent, should be punishable by law. Having foul smelling slurry is punishable, creating noise pollution is punishable, so this should definitely incur a fine at the very least. I'm serious.

I think we should be allowed put their head and hands into stocks and be allowed throw rotten vegetables at them until they admit that their accent is put on due to insecurities within.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Yourself isit

tupenny wrote: »
    I think kids get their accents from their parents. Maybe it changes as they get older but id say a lot of that is put on to fit in etc
    My kid speaks in the exact same accent as I do. Two of her best friends are lads with 1 parent who's English (1 kids mam, the others dad) and u can hear the London accent in some words they say.
    The nickelodeon accent kids must have parents who dump them in front of the TV all day

Kids get their accent from peers.

Advertisement