Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Amazon Prime Video launches in Ireland today. What subscription companies do you use?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 267 ✭✭Train Dragon

"The Internet interprets censorship as damage and routes around it" - John Gilmore

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭sat matt

I'm coming to the end of the month trial of Prime but I was able to watch the Grand Tour on it already

What's changed with this announcement? Am I missing something here?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

So did it launch today then?

I only seem to have access to the same crap i had access to for the last 2 weeks so I dont know why they said it launched today.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

For some bizarre reason Netflix won't even let me see what they have so I can decide whether to hand over money, so I have none.

sat matt wrote: »
    I'm coming to the end of the month trial of Prime

The full Prima package as in one day delivery, access to Amazon Music and free eBooks etc? I thought this wasnt in Ireland yet?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

I pay my TV license every year, that covers everything in my eyes. No TV subscription with any company.

Kodi is the best with raspberry pi 3.

There are plenty of potential justifications out there for illegal streaming but the mere fact you’re paying your TV license is probably the worst I’ve heard.

The full Prima package as in one day delivery, access to Amazon Music and free eBooks etc? I thought this wasnt in Ireland yet?

Yeah, Amazon Prime... not just Prime Video. They forced me to sign up when I was ordering a product on their site recently as it was only available to Prime members. There's all the 1 day delivery nonsense included which is moot anyway once they hand it over to our shítty couriers

I didn't really care for it and will be cancelling in a few days but I discovered I could also watch Prime Video through the Prime trial. I watched some Grand Tour but again... I didn't really care for it :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4 Stingemeister

VinLieger wrote: »
    Piracy is immoral :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Get over yourself, your one of these "you wouldn't download a car" crowd ill bet.

Thieving basterd.

Plenty of people out there want to watch Game of Thrones, but don't give a sh*t about 99.9999% of the other dross on Sky. If HBO could charge consumers directly $1-2 per episode nobody would pirate it. /quote]

They do just that through Amazon video and still people pirate it . it's incredibly easy to legally watch GoT on a streaming service but you have to pay for it and most people aren't willing to do so.

Yeah, Amazon Prime... not just Prime Video.

But Prime isnt availible in Ireland yet.

So how did you get it?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Atoms for Peace

I use a tin can and some twine.

But Prime isnt availible in Ireland yet.

So how did you get it?

I've no idea to be honest. As I said, to purchase what I wanted I had to sign up and it just went through for the month trial. This was just under a month ago

My billing and card address is Irish but I have a few NI and UK forwarding addresses on my account for delivery purposes so maybe this is what triggered it. But then I thought Prime was available to Irish customers for quite some time just that it was largely pointless?

The benefits listed on my account are: Unlimited One-Day Delivery, Prime Video, Prime Music, NEW! Twitch Prime, Prime Photos, Prime Early Access, Kindle Owners' Lending Library, Discounts Compliments of Amazon Family

I have a few NI and UK forwarding addresses on my account for delivery purposes

Ah there we go. Mystery solved ;)

Ah there we go. Mystery solved ;)

I'm not sure the NI/UK forwarding addresses were required to be honest as my primary address and card address is always my Irish address and I remember being offered Prime long before I ever added the forwarding addresses. The only real benefit I've used of the trial is the free priority delivery all of which I could send direct to my Irish address

You could try sign up for the month with just an Irish address on your account. It'll cost nothing if you cancel the renewal

Anyway... getting off topic I think

• Registered Users Posts: 16,106 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

I might be tempted to get amazon prime video if there was an Xbox app available in Ireland (Just checked and there isn't) but as for the rest of the prime benefits I wouldn't bother. Amazon are cnuts. Of all the multinationals they're the worst. Their hiring practices are disgusting and I won't give them money. It's easy enough to browse amazon and then use another site to buy the stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

kodi plus million addons that are out there, seems more then enough for any movies and tv,music.I pay a lot for broadband :cool:

Grayson wrote: »
    Amazon are cnuts. Of all the multinationals they're the worst. Their hiring practices are disgusting and I won't give them money. It's easy enough to browse amazon and then use another site to buy the stuff.

At the same great prices? ;)

And I think you'll find companies like Nestle are far worse.

scamalert wrote: »
    kodi plus million addons that are out there, seems more then enough for any movies and tv,music.I pay a lot for broadband :cool:

Never heard of Kodi. What is it and is it legal?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

you have to be +18 for the premium stuff :D

but seriously its streaming service,a lot like torrents -so guess not legal in eyes of those you cant download a car :(

At the same great prices? ;)

And I think you'll find companies like Nestle are far worse.

And I haven't eaten nestle in 20 years.

It's possible to find stuff for the same price elsewhere, with the exception of books. You can generally find the books but the catalogue on amazon is huge. When I was in college I probably saved a few hundred quid buying books from amazon and eBay.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

me_irl wrote: »
    Yaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrr mah hearties!

Use chrome browser so I can highlight the word kodi, right click, search google for Kodi and there it is.

To give you a taster of what it is, it's open source entertainment software. Formally known as XMBC. It's easy enough to install on a PC. I have it installed on a Raspberry Pi.

it's open source entertainment software.

Which means what?

Can it stream torrents without downloading them for example?

Does it work on an iPad?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭NATLOR

Which means what?

Can it stream torrents without downloading them for example?

Does it work on an iPad?

Thanks.

It nothing to do with torrents, its streaming through addons which you will have to google yourself as we cant talk about them on Boards

NATLOR wrote: »
    It nothing to do with torrents, its streaming through addons which you will have to google yourself as we cant talk about them on Boards

Gotcha.

Wink wink.

Gotcha.

Wink wink.

Are you trying to chat him up? :pac:

Look up Kodi on youtube for examples.

It's a he?

Good plan with Youtube. There's nothing in life Youtube cant explain.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭NATLOR

Maybe i'm a her :P

NATLOR wrote: »
    Maybe i'm a her :P

Ideally, your name would be based on the fact that you're a set of hot blonde twins posting on Boards.

Your names?

Natalie and Lorraine.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,789 ✭✭✭Alf Stewart.

Sky, full package except movies and sports.

I also pay extra for the HD and multi room.

Netflix (because my kids love it)

Deezer, as I spend a lot of time travelling with work, including long periods on site, and I use it for my streaming music needs.

I also have kodi at home for stuff I can't get on the other ones.

Advertisement