Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arcade Talk 24/7/365

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,351 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I went nuclear on them and it seems to have worked, should have the place to ourselves by the start of next month.

This means I'll finally be able to bring all those MVS carts out to the house and stick them in those mini boxes Pyong! Feckin finally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Pyongyang

Good man! Hey was the CPS2 box you bought any good?

Master of the Universe

It was garbage :(

The stickers were really outstanding.

But the box itself was just that corrugated crap. Absolutely nowhere near the quality of those mini MVS boxes.

If he could make better boxes with those stickers it'd be great. As they are now though, don't waste your money.

You wouldn't house a Progear board in one then? :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Progear you say? Only a "measly" $375 for non-phoenixed Jap A and B boards. :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Andrew76 wrote: »
    Progear you say? Only a "measly" $375 for non-phoenixed Jap A and B boards. :eek:

Thats come down in value big time if legit. I remember I had SF Alpha 3 & SSF2 Turbo and couldn't shift them for love nor money despite their value & wantability in arcade circles.

Awesome new photo book has just been released.

Well worth a look if you have an unloved coffee table. :)

http://gameroomblog.com/features/insert-token-a-most-unique-look-at-arcade-culture

Just snagged one of these. Been searching for aeons for this particular model as it will allow me to connect my Virtua Stick Pro and Saturn pads to my PC for Doujin and Steam shmuppery.

Windows 7 compatible and no drivers needed, just plug and play.

Free shipping too. Juicy. :)

CLICK ME DO!

Pyongyang wrote: »
    Just snagged one of these. Been searching for aeons for this particular model as it will allow me to connect my Virtua Stick Pro and Saturn pads to my PC for Doujin and Steam shmuppery.

Windows 7 compatible and no drivers needed, just plug and play.

Free shipping too. Juicy. :)

CLICK ME DO!

A Hong Kong product? It should come in useful.....for spare parts once it breaks :o

EnterNow wrote: »
    A Hong Kong product? It should come in useful.....for spare parts once it breaks :o

................................................aaaaaaaacccctually, the Mayflash ones were/are considered the best for this kind of 'adapterynessness'!

They must have started making them again or found another bunch of new old stock as I've trawled for months for this particular Saturn adapter and it was rare as blue steak.

Divineo are alright too, nowt wrong with them as a shop.

So nerr! :p

• Advertisement

................................................aaaaaaaacccctually, the Mayflash ones were/are considered the best for this kind of 'adapterynessness'!

They must have started making them again or found another bunch of new old stock as I've trawled for months for this particular Saturn adapter and it was rare as blue steak.

Divineo are alright too, nowt wrong with them as a shop.

We'll see...we'll see. No Hong Kong product has ever worked longer than 72 hours :p

EnterNow wrote: »
    We'll see...we'll see. No Hong Kong product has ever worked longer than 72 hours :p

................................................aaaaaaaacccctually, I have two PS1/2>USB adapters that have been working perfectly for the last few weeks. Plays my Namco PS1 stick a treat.

And it's not broken!

Master of the Universe

Bit let down by this supergun so far. Plugged in Vendetta, it powers up the board grand, sound is perfect, colour pots work great - but there's intermittent rolling interference in the blacks. Sometimes it totally goes and it seems fine..then when the screen blacks out between levels and it's there again.

Tried my JAMMA Megadrive and the colours and picture are totally skewed. So that's 100% unplayable.

I'm really put off plugging any more boards into it now. I have a glitchy SF 2, will test it with that tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,847 ✭✭✭Steve X2

o1s1n wrote: »
    Bit let down by this supergun so far. Plugged in Vendetta, it powers up the board grand, sound is perfect, colour pots work great - but there's intermittent rolling interference in the blacks. Sometimes it totally goes and it seems fine..then when the screen blacks out between levels and it's there again.

Tried my JAMMA Megadrive and the colours and picture are totally skewed. So that's 100% unplayable.

I'm really put off plugging any more boards into it now. I have a glitchy SF 2, will test it with that tomorrow.

Where does one get a JAMMA Megadrive or/and a JAMMA SNES or/and a JAMMA every retro console? It sounds like the perfect setup for most of these consoles, plugged into a gorgeous arcade monitor.

Might be worth running it through a scaler or another TV?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

I was also going to say to test an MVS cart on it but not sure you have that 6 slot beast to hand. I wonder could it be to do with the voltage levels being off slightly? Maybe the Vendetta board is quite sensitive. Do you still have your Vogatek around to compare?

Master of the Universe

Steve SI wrote: »
    Where does one get a JAMMA Megadrive or/and a JAMMA SNES or/and a JAMMA every retro console? It sounds like the perfect setup for most of these consoles, plugged into a gorgeous arcade monitor..

They look amazing alright. You get home made ones appearing on ebay.fr a lot. That's where I got mine. A lad in France makes them.

I did see a Snes one on ebay.com recently enough.

Might be worth running it through a scaler or another TV?

Good point, I never did use the Vogatek board on this TV. But then, it is just an RGB signal being outputted, something which has worked fine on this tv so far! I'll give it a go on another telly just to see though.
    Andrew76 wrote: »
    I was also going to say to test an MVS cart on it but not sure you have that 6 slot beast to hand. I wonder could it be to do with the voltage levels being off slightly? Maybe the Vendetta board is quite sensitive. Do you still have your Vogatek around to compare?

I have the Vogatek around, but don't have a power supply for it handy unfortunately. All my PCBs worked grand 100% with that.

Tested out a couple more boards this morning with this new supergun and I'm getting some weird results overall.

Game Paradise - got the same interferance, but with this there's also no sound either. Just a high pitched frequency noise.

Funnily enough, the glitchy capcom board works fine, the picture is solid, as is the sound.

Master of the Universe

Some more results. I really think routing the sound through the scart was a bad idea. You can do this (I think by putting a resistor in the sound line, looks to be one added to the JAMMA harness) but different boards have different sound levels. I think it's killing the sound in some games.

Raiden 2 PCB - Picture is perfect. No sound.

Capcom CPS 1 Street Fighter - works perfect

Jaleco System 32 - Rolling picture interferance. No sound, just a high pitched squeal.

Konami Vendetta - Rolling picture interferance. Sound works.

IGS PGM - Rolling picture interferance. Sound works.

Capcom CPS2 Aliens Versus Predator - Rolling picture interferance. No sound. When I turn off the supergun, there is also a high pitched squeal.

A different TV might sort out that interferance. I tried it on my LCD and the whole picture flickered (it doesn't like arcade boards), but there was none of that interferance.

So the main issue is the sound really. If it could be removed from the scart setup altogether and just routed to a 3.5mm jack instead that may sort it.

Edit - right, had a chat with the seller. Turns out this supergun doesn't supply -5v at all. Raiden 2 needs -5v for sound. Bollocks.

A very weird thing happened just now. I was in the living room and the candy was power up and running. I noticed it was a little dusty on the screen so decided to give it a quick clean.

Now, I'm a bit sleepy and that's my excuse for what I did next.

There were some clothes drying on a clothes horse thingy so I grabbed a small sock(my girlfriends so very small and kind of silky) and put it on like a glove and started wiping the screen, no problem there(although you should never use a sock, i did mention i was sleepy right?). Then I decided to give the Cpanel controls a quick wipe as well, BAM, the worse static shock I've had in years. As soon as I touched the metal part that holds the glass panel on the thing is when I got the shock.

It was at this point my stupidity dawned on me, I was using a sock(probably made of various materials including wool) to clean a static sensitive machine.
    So I quickly took it off and thought to myself that could have been bad and I that I should sleep more than 3 hours a night. A few mins later I sat down to play a bit of Darius Gaiden, no response from the controls, sh1t!!

I opened up the front cabinet door and had a look, the J-pac had no LEDs on at all and it normally has that green one, sh1t again. I disconnected the J-pac and reconnected it, still nothing. Powered down the hyperspin pc and unplugged everything for 5 mins. Powered up and everything was ok again.

Lesson learned folks :o

stupidity.jpg

But putting my temporary drop in IQ to one side for the moment. Anyone care to offer a technical reason for the j-pac going offline but ok after a reboot.

Easy explanation. You were tired. Darius Gaiden has a built in 'greatness' feature that means it disables everything until you are mentally and physically prepared to absorb all of its meganess.

It also likes to electrocute anyone who doesn't own Darius Gaiden: The Movie on Laserdisc.

:)

• Advertisement

Easy explanation. You were tired. Darius Gaiden has a built in 'greatness' feature that means it disables everything until you are mentally and physically prepared to absorb all of its meganess.

It also likes to electrocute anyone who doesn't own Darius Gaiden: The Movie on Laserdisc.

:)

I'll pick one up next time I'm over in Japan for about 20 quid. They're not as rare as you think :D

Then I'll rip it and share it with the world :D:D:D

While you're there snag me a Battle Garegga Superplay would ya? :D

While you're there snag me a Battle Garegga Superplay would ya? :D

Sure, no problem :)

Did you get the "Darius Burst Another Chronicle Live in O-EAST" CD/DVD?
    Sounds like your sort of thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭unky chop chop

Jaysus Steve..
    That has thought me to be more careful in the future.
    I really don't know how I haven't been shocked yet.
    Out of interest do you have a ground wire attached to Control panel of candy?

Jaysus Steve..
    That has thought me to be more careful in the future.
    I really don't know how I haven't been shocked yet.
    Out of interest do you have a ground wire attached to Control panel of candy?

Well all the buttons are grounded. I don't think you have to run a ground wire to the actual panel(the panel is metal but the cpanel assembly is plastic).

The monitor and internals are all grounded of course.

Does your candy not have one of these ... see green wire from psu that attaches to CP.
    astro10.jpg

Does your candy not have one of these ... see green wire from psu that attaches to CP.
    astro10.jpg

Hmm, it might do but I'm not sure. It's not very visible if it is there.

I'll have to check it out.

Fairly sure most cabs have them.
    Even my Midway woody has the facility.
    Still I have not connected them in either cab..living on the edge.
    I may well do after your experience.
    Foook damge to myself, I dont want to blow a board or pad hacks etc

Fairly sure most cabs have them.
    Even my Midway woody has the facility.
    Still I have not connected them in either cab..living on the edge.
    I may well do after your experience.
    Foook damge to myself, I dont want to blow a board or pad hacks etc

I've an Egret 3 so not sure if thats a different setup with the cable.

Maybe andrew can check his Atomswave as thats nearly the same as my Egret. So if he has it then I should too, and if not then happy days.

Speaking of pad hacks, I must get around to wiring up player 2 to my X360 hacked pads. Been putting it off for ages.

• Advertisement

Yeah I'm on a mission to wire up the Dreamcast now with padhacks.

Actually I'm going order a good few bits and bobs off Giz10p soon so if anyone wants any connectors,pins or what not I'll add them in to order.
    Should have over stocked last time but I never learn

Advertisement