Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arcade & Retro Repairs & Mods, all new recipe, with no added MSG...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Maragenie

Yeah. Once the anode cap unsorted just a case of unplugging a few cables and unscrewing the chassis from the cab.

Feel free to message me if you need help.

Nice advice pal, any idea how long these things can hold a charge in general?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭TechnoFreek

As far as I know the auto discharge circuitry on those chassis means they are discharged almost immediately after mains power is turned off.

I'll ask Grant on the other forum to just to make sure, otherwise I'll get someone else to whip it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭TechnoFreek

Maragenie wrote: »
    I'll ask Grant on the other forum to just to make sure, otherwise I'll get someone else to whip it out.

It's dead simple and only takes a couple of minutes, once you get over the fear!

as i said above its not a big deal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,360 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Main thing I found is just documenting where all the bloody cables connect back up to - a few had me scratching my head the last time :D

Yeah I'll take good notes on that, am I basically just unplugging everything that is connected to the motherboard? And when I say "motherboard" is that what people are referring to as the chassis?

Will I need to send anything else to Grant other than that part?

nope, (send nothing else)
    So whered you get the cab?
    I was thinking it was the one from adverts but it doesnt look like it?

It is the one from adverts mate, I was just about to give up on it until it sank in exactly what I was letting go, then I cried and withdrew the Ad immediately.

That lil Candy Cab came in on a container from Japan. Takes legit YEN coins.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭geotrig

It is the one from adverts mate, I was just about to give up on it until it sank in exactly what I was letting go, then I cried and withdrew the Ad immediately.

That lil Candy Cab came in on a container from Japan. Takes legit YEN coins.
    if i am right it came in on the ic09 order of cabs .... back then i remember the guy that delivered mine had just dropped of a awsd before making it out to me ...i could be wrong though lol

• Advertisement

It could very well be that same batch, I think this might of been about 4-5 years ago. The lad that owned my cab previously said he had like 1st or 2nd pick on the whole container at the time, I'm sure Grant was involved somehow, the other lads name is Gadge64, he's a member on here but I'm not too sure how active he do be nowdays.

I just copped there I'm talking to the same person on 2 different forums, small world.

On a totally different note, where do you guys find the best to buy your arcade bits N bobs? I am going to make a Virtual Pinball machine and was pricing up the cost of Joystick/button bundles.

Also art work, any good suggestions?

pinballs dont have joysticks ;)

pinballs dont have joysticks ;)

I'm building a control panel aswell. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,943 ✭✭✭Doge

Where habe you guys bought high voltage discharge probes from? They tend to be very pricey.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Doge wrote: »
    Where habe you guys bought high voltage discharge probes from? They tend to be very pricey.

Screw driver with some insulated cable and crocodile clip.

Master of the Universe

Doge wrote: »

You can get older ones for fairly cheap on ebay if you keep an eye out. I think mine was about 20 euro.

Another totally different subject dudes, but do any of you know of anyone that repairs old vintage (90s) jukeboxes?

It's a NSM digital wall thunder and there's an error indicating that there's isn't enough power running through to power the CD player. All I know is that it was working fine for a week, then we mounted it on the wall and soon afterwards we got a smell of burn so immediately plugged it out.

After that day it never ran the CD's but still lights up and tries to play them.

This might not even be the correct forum *

i did work before on a sound leisure cd juke.

Theres a fella on adverts called ilovejamma.he is the man for jukes.
    i believe the NSM parts are available still

i did work before on a sound leisure cd juke.

Theres a fella on adverts called ilovejamma.he is the man for jukes.
    i believe the NSM parts are available still

Excellent, I've just contacted him there now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,847 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Anyone modded an original GBA with a AGS 101 screen and done the soldering trick to increase the brightness? I bought one last night on a whim and was wondering if they’re any good. I mean , the 101 screen is nice, the orig GBA shape is better to hold, so can’t really go wrong, can I?

It’s also got a glass screen lens instead of the older plastic type.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,717 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

I've not done the mod but it looks like a pig of a job to do tbh. Agree that the original GBA is a nicer console alright and would really benefit from a backlight.

I've a GCW Zero so no need to be worrying about other handhelds :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,847 ✭✭✭Steve X2

I've not done the mod but it looks like a pig of a job to do tbh. Agree that the original GBA is a nicer console alright and would really benefit from a backlight.

I've a GCW Zero so no need to be worrying about other handhelds :)

Ah yeah, I've been looking for the best version of the GBA to use with my new Everdrive(which i havent even tested yet :o), so had to be original hardware in my mind, even if its hacked up :)

The GB Micro is very nice but too small for me, the SP 101 has nice screen but stupid for factor. So i hope this one I purchased works out well, was pricey so it better be at least half decent!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,592 ✭✭✭BGOllie

found this crusty BG a while back and gave it the Last Bandit's Jerome Russel B Blonde job, a new cover, and Backlit mod + hex inverter for good measure :)

14291777_10154510478988276_109418237956400179_n.jpg?oh=e5bf1ec44a15cfb306a60c20f589cf98&oe=5839AFF4

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Don't get me wrong, it looks like a fine job, but the blue tint just seems wrong to me!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

A photograph probably doesn't do it justice, looks good to me.

I do like original hardware but some mods are almost mandatory - or buying a second unit to mod so as to keep one original if that's feasible. The GBA and Nomad are practically unplayable without modded screens imo. NGPC is another.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,592 ✭✭✭BGOllie

Star Lord wrote: »
    Don't get me wrong, it looks like a fine job, but the blue tint just seems wrong to me!

the backlight also comes in green or yellow (or F##' pink!! ) but they never look right I find.
    They always seemed artificial. I find the blue one to be the most practical and neutral on the eye .

Master of the Universe

Looks lovely!

I've a green inverted one of them in a DMG01 - apparently the colour inversion makes LSDJ easier to read, but with the amount of chiptune creation I've actually used it for versus gaming, I should have gone with a standard one :D

Classic handhelds are the one part of this hobby that really need the most work to bring them up to scratch alright. I don't know how we used to play on those screens, especially in a perpetually overcast country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Star Lord wrote: »

Green would be ideal, but as BGO says, for whatever reason, the led mod with a green screen just doesn't look right. The white/blue one is the softest on the eyes, and to my eye gives the best contrast.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,717 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

o1s1n wrote: »
    Classic handhelds are the one part of this hobby that really need the most work to bring them up to scratch alright. I don't know how we used to play on those screens, especially in a perpetually overcast country.

Just emulated them on a 50" 4K screen, sure everyone will love the 4" square pixels :D

Advertisement