Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

[Article] DART partly closed at WEEKENDS for 18 months

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭oneweb

Never use the Dart but I just could not believe that when I heard it on the news this morning. And at only four days notice, it's a disgrace that shows how utterly thick the transport managers are in this country.

How Irish :rolleyes:

It is what it's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭MadKevo

As has been said already, the attitude in CIE has been to increase length of trains rather than their frequency for a number of years already.
    [aside: Being in Dublin city centre stations at 5.30pm is scary when the platforms fill up - quess they don't want dead bodies on their hands when people start being pushed by lemming-like rush & crush of people - seriously...]

The reason for this seemingly illogical approach is simple: the Dublin coastal suburban system is mostly twin-line, and there are significant stretches of national single line.
    So, in Dublin, commuter trains ("Arrows"), DARTs, inter-city and freight/bulk trains have to share the same tracks in the same direction.

Trains have to overtake at the limited opportunities to do so, usually in bigger startions (e.g. Pearse, Dun Laoghaire), and the timetable is geared to allowing these service to co-exist. Large margins of error are built in, leaving tracks idle where a modern signalling system would allow better utilisation - collision avoidance being a good idea - explaining the upgrade of the signalling system.

My sugegstion: build more overtaking points. This won't be easy, but it will be far less disuptive to the train system and can be done 24 hours a day (ha ha), not just at the weekend, as the power lines can be independently built and interconnected in the middle of the night, as can the tracks with points cut in when finished. The big issue is finding the space but I think it can be done if a there is a polotical willingness to really improve the system. Costs should be about the same either way.

Another practical suggestion: buy carriages with more then 2 doors per side - have the buyers never been on a suburban train elsewhere - they work so much better when there are 3 or 4 sets of doors per side/carriage. Quicker to fill/empty = less time at the station.

Ticket machines, put loads fo them everywhere* - get rid of 19th century queues at ticket desks. Retrain ticket sellers to be the drivers for the new train engines.

Integrated ticketing - getting to be a joke at this point. They are still the same company = CIE, despite marketing to the contrary.

* not used the DART in a while, assume it's still the same in the city centre with queues out the door at peak-times...

2c
    Kev, Mad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭Kenshin

What about using Diesel trains while the power grid is turned off?
    Also, can someone provide a few email addresses of people up there we can complain to?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭oneweb

...and the train that fell through the bridge earlier :eek: news

It is what it's.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,239 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by Kenshin
    What about using Diesel trains while the power grid is turned off?
    It's just about possible, but if they have people working on the railway it's unlikely (too dangerous). I'm not sure what they are doing for InterCity passengers from Wexford.
    Originally posted by oneweb
    ...and the train that fell through the bridge earlier :eek: news
    So do you want them to neglect maintenance and repair then?
    Originally posted by Kenshin
    Also, can someone provide a few email addresses of people up there we can complain to?
    browse http://www.irishrail.ie/home/
    Further Information:
    DASH Community Relations Unit Hotline (01) 888 7 999
    dash@irishrail.ie or view this website which will be updated regularly. This web page can be easily accessed using the address www.irishrail.ie/dash

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

What a bunch of selfish moaning gits.
    How dare IE try to improve the dart service if it inconveniences any of you at all. I suppose it has to be the unions fault, why should those drivers be paid at all, they should be grateful for the opportunity to ferry all of you about.

Temporary closures are the only way to get major engineering work done, every railway company in the world has to do this, not just Irish Rail. Here is a list of UK rail disruptions, note the amount of weekend closures http://www.serco-online.com/html/engineering/engineering_ext.htm

Weekends are the best option as there is a much lower demand and more availability of replacement resources.
    Dublin Bus will double the number of buses operating on routes adjacent to the DART in south Dublin, including routes 7, 45, 46A, 59 and 84.

Anyone who suggests that the idea of increasing train lengths is a strange IE concept is just wrong, commuter trains in most european cities are between 8 and 16 car trains, it is more efficent to run longer trains than more trains. (less of those horrible unionised drivers to pay for a start)

Power upgrades required for longer trains would also be needed for more trains. 10 4car trains use the same amount of power as 5 8car trains.

Running diesel trains instead is not an option as that would require the lines and stations to be kept clear, a bit of a problem when they are working on them

Originally posted by John R
    Power upgrades required for longer trains would also be needed for more trains. 10 4car trains use the same amount of power as 5 8car trains.
    Actually they use more, due to air and track resistance.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

What a bunch of selfish moaning gits.
    How dare IE try to improve the dart service if it inconveniences any of you at all. I suppose it has to be the unions fault, why should those drivers be paid at all, they should be grateful for the opportunity to ferry all of you about.

How often do you use the DART? Seriously? Does this impact on your life? Because if you did I'd imagine you'd sing a different tune. If you had to increase your journey time by about an hour each journey now, would you be so accomodating?

As for the drivers - you're missing the damn point. People are wondering if they're going to be paid for all those hours that they can't drive. They're not working, so why should they be paid? It'd never happen in the private sector.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

I would mind this so much...

....(although I'm now commuting West instead of South thank God!)

IF, and it is a BIG IF...we got 24/7 DART service when it came back, yes 24hours a day 7 days a week. This is a CAPITAL city remember.

IF IE didn't strangely think that the rush 'hour' ended at 5.55, and put on some more frequent trains to serve those who work past 4.55pm

IF an honesty-based (ie no Qs) inspected, integrated ticket system with LUAS & Dublin Bus was introduced,

IF there were security patrols that dealt with drinking, smoking & anti-social behaviour,

IF there were decent west-east feeder bus routes, serving the new big office locations instead of just routing into town,

IF every single station had decent facilities - look at Grand Canal Dock - brand newish - no toilet, no phone, crap shop, wet floor all the time.

IF all of this then maybe I would forgive IE.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭embraer170

Outrageous!

There is no lack of foreign examples, where companies do things properly.

In Switzerland, a 13.5km 3rd track is being built between Geneva and Coppet (on the Lausanne mainline, handling 230 trains a day) causing only minimal disruption: the last regio train is replaced by a bus on certain nights. Work includes enlargement of the trackbed, lengthening of the platforms, extension of the underpasses, rebuilding of the stations, and of course the application of the railway fittings such as signalling..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

Originally posted by MadsL
    IF an honesty-based (ie no Qs) inspected, integrated ticket system with LUAS & Dublin Bus was introduced,

Is there not a government sponsored initive on the intregated ticiketing system already underway? I remember reading that DublinBus are spending €8million on upgrading the ticket machines on their 1,100 busses as part of aintregated ticked system being sponsored by the government.

And, you cannot expect all that from IE. For sure, they will never listen to reason but love to make outragous and silly plans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭Bee

Dublin City Councils (let me mis quote the Mikado! "I am the very model of a model civil servant")Mr. Owen Keegans dynamic management response to suggestions of an easing up on car restrictions at Dart closure weekends was " people should use the bus, cycle or walk"

As if this was actually feasible for the majority of Dart users :rolleyes:

Anyone got the survey? albeit an old one that showed that the majority of Dart users are just Dart users as other modes were neither practical or feasible.

With this further example of a lack of any positive response by the Traffic Dept. it is about time we had an elected traffic supremo whose renumeration would be based on results rather than time serving.

At the least we should have Operation Freeflow and scrap the bus lanes as they do not have the capacity to carry the Dart overflow at weekends.

Bee

• Registered Users Posts: 5,680 ✭✭✭jd

whatever about the stupidity of the dart disruption, it makes the wexford/rosslare line pretty useless for weekend travel. IR have said they intend to increase service to 4 departures each way in 2004. Perhaps theys should introduce an early bird on monday if disruption goes ahad, current service is useless if you need to get to work at a reasonable hour on Monday.

Originally posted by ixoy
    How often do you use the DART? Seriously? Does this impact on your life? Because if you did I'd imagine you'd sing a different tune. If you had to increase your journey time by about an hour each journey now, would you be so accomodating?

In order; At least 6 return journeys per week. Yes. Yes. No I am not singing a different tune, it will take me at least 40mins longer to get into the city centre during this disruption. Not using the DART means that I will have to get 2 buses just to get in and out of the city centre. I also have to use the service in the weekday rush and I am very accomodating of this inconvenience if it means less overcrowding for the future.
    I am far less accomodating to the selfish fukkers who clog the entire city every day with their cars, without these mostly unnecessary car journeys the bus service wouldn't be such a lousy alternative to the DART.
    As for the drivers - you're missing the damn point. People are wondering if they're going to be paid for all those hours that they can't drive. They're not working, so why should they be paid? It'd never happen in the private sector. [/B]

No I am not missing the damn point, the only point made was you using this as an excuse to have a go at public sector unions, you have shown no evidence of plans to pay drivers not to work.

And before you ask, no i do not, nor have I ever worked for Irish Rail, the unions or any public sector organisation.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

you have shown no evidence of plans to pay drivers not to work

Think about it.

Why is there no 24/7 dart service - the unions.

Why are there one day strikes every time any extra driver recruitment/training is on the horizon - the unions.

Why are so many trains cancelled to staff shortages - the unions protecting drivers rights not to show up for work.

Do you honestly think that the unions will allow drivers to be out pocket or even inconvenienced by these plans. Notice the unions are yet to make any statement or complaint.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭vinnyfitz

There are 2 separate stories here.

Firstly, Iish Rail handled the announcement a bit badlly and so they are being beaten up by politicians, IBEC etc who are grandstanding and taking really cheap shots (I bet they were told in advance and did not pay any attention). Also RTE and other media are spinning for sensationalism. Its a cheap story and Irish rail are an easy target. OK so Irish rail should have put up osters in the stations 2 weeks ago but that is the begining and end of the story.

Secondly, the work needs to be done. So is this the right way to do it? On balance the discussion here seems to say yes. Inconvenience week end users on the south side for 9 months then inconvenience the users on the north side for 9 months. The debate now should be - how many relief buses? How much slower will they be?
    Will they visit all stations? How many Xmas shoppers used the DART on Sundays last December? Should the N11 QBC also be bus dedicated on Sundays to speed up trips? How long will be dleays for travellers to Arklow and beyond? Does it really make sense to put people back on the train in Arklow to ramble down to Gorey Wexford and Rosslare?

Victor why don't you email Barry Kenny their PRO and invite him to participate here? He just might you know... He apologised for how the announcement was handled on the radio this morning.

BTW DART users - remember those of us who depend on bus routes may secretly be pleased you have to experience a bit of what we get all the time. I found it hard to shed a tear for all those people vox popped on the radio yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭NIBBS

JohnR,

there are different issues here - first off the Unions, the Unions involved with the whole CIE organisation are a joke, and yes drivers in IE have been getting paid for not working for years and no number of letters of complaint about shortage of drivers has ever made a difference because the Unions have made the whole thing a closed shop - it appears to be opening up a little more now, but the they are very well paid for what they do, and there is no doubt that they will continue to be paid their normal pay during this disruption - the only people that ever loose out are the commuters.......

secondly I wouldn't mind the inconvenience if I believed that there would be any benefits at the end of two years of apparent improvement - but there won't be, they've been improving stations and extending stations for the past three years as it is - why wasn't some of this work done in tandem with that ??????
    when the work is completed there will be a 30% increase in capacity on the line - great, but in two years time there will be an increase of around 50% in the number of people wanting to use the service with the number of developments in the areas towards the ends of the lines, I live in Baldoyle and the longer this takes the worse things will be, of course it was an 18 month job yesterday and now its 24 months, by the end of the week it will be a three year job and are they doing this to increase the capacity of todays commuters or future commuters - no point making any improvements unless they can carry the estimated number of people that will use the service in 3-5 years time.......planning has never been their strong point, I'm not complaining for the sake of it, I'm just looking at the plain simple facts, the stations were supposed to have been extended in the Millenium year, this is still not completed and the service is continually getting worse year on year, I don't believe they will make any improvements, you will just be on a bigger train with more people........

and making comparisons between our Dart system and a rail system in the UK is stupid, in most countries this sort of work (especially if it will be carried out during the week at night) would all be carried out through the night..........

I'd like to be proved wrong but I can't see the benefits here !!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

Originally posted by MadsL
    Do you honestly think that the unions will allow drivers to be out pocket or even inconvenienced by these plans. Notice the unions are yet to make any statement or complaint.

According to yer wan from IE talking on Newstalk 106 yesterday afternoon all staff will complete their currently rostered hours during the upgrade. She didnt say doing what when pressed. Just said that any staff rostered to work weekends will work weekends.

I take work to mean they will clock in. sit around drinking tea and reading the news paper cause they're unionised and god forbid that they do anything else except sit on their arse and drive trains of sit on their arse and sell\check tickets. Clock out.

Did ye get those flyers that they are hading out today? how nice of them. 3 days before the start of the work. Such knobs.

I for one wont be too inconvienced, theres a 7 and 45 bus stop just 10 mins walk away. If however i have to work weekends i'll have to get a taxi cause i work in Dalkey and the bus service to there is basically non existant since they got rid of the number 8.

I cant beleive they are so stupid that they havent put on bus services from the stations to town. Taking dalkey for example, there is one bus (7d) into town at 7:35 and one out again at 17:40. Even quadroupling this will mean only 4 buses a day to make up for the 50+ darts that stop there. Other than that there is the 59 bus service that goes to\from Dun laoghaire once an hour where you'd have to get another bus.
    I'm sure its the same story up and down the dart line.

Ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭kamobe

In Switzerland, a 13.5km 3rd track is being built between Geneva and Coppet (on the Lausanne mainline, handling 230 trains a day) causing only minimal disruption: the last regio train is replaced by a bus on certain nights. Work includes enlargement of the trackbed, lengthening of the platforms, extension of the underpasses, rebuilding of the stations, and of course the application of the railway fittings such as signalling..

If they can do it, why can't we? We'll sit here and bark about it, yet on Saturday those lazy sh1theads are still gonna screw over half the city on weekends. The above example shows that the lines DO NOT have to be shut down, it's just a cheaper (well, on paper it appears cheaper, but I'm sure by June we'll have paid more than the Swiss) way to upgrade, bearing no regard for the people who have to use it.

As I said earlier, it is now impossible for me to make work (Blanchardstown - Bray) for start of work on Saturday morning - 9.00am.

Thanks IE.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

From Breakingnews.ie
    DART work is put on hold
    08/10/2003 - 1:43:11 pm

The Taoiseach has confirmed that work on the upgrading of the DART line between Dublin and Greystones will be put on hold during the month of December.

Bertie Ahern told the Dáil that Transport Minister Seamus Brennan discussed the matter with the chairman of CIE, arising out of public anger, after it was announced that works on the line would get underway this weekend.

The Taoiseach said work would resume after Christmas, when passenger numbers are low.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

Hurray for bertie!
    truely a man of the people.
    someone re-elect that man!

<edit>beware: sarcasm </edit>

According to Séamus Brennan on RTE's news at one it is only being put on hold for the three weekends prior to christmas.

And that the time will be made up for after christmas.

I take it then that from next saturday and for the whole of november there will be no Dart on saturdays and sundays.

mm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭Syth

buy carriages with more then 2 doors per side
    They can't do this. On the continent they had the intelligence to make all of their platforms dead straight. Not here! If they had doors in the middle of the carriages, they'd be about a foot gap on some stations.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,773 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

I understand that this arrangement (called a blockade, closing the lines completely for a number of weekends) is becoming more common in the UK, but the usual practice is that

1. there is about 22 weeks of notice given to passengers (it takes this long to plan rail works of this magnitude anyway).

2. three months is about as long as they usually do it for. 9 months is definitely a pretty long period to have a blockade in place.

3. there is some consultation with rail users. There are pretty influential user groups around the South-East of the UK in particular. There is no reason why there wouldn't be the same on the DART. Some of the richest and most powerful people in the country live along the line and a surprising number of them use it to travel to/from work.

It is hard to understand why they need to close for such a long time. Could a lot of the works not be carried out in-tandem, rather than sequentially? It would be different if there was major rail renewal being done, and specialised teams and equipment were needed, but a lot of the work (for example extending platforms and modifying station layouts) is just general building work. The overhead cables are being replaced, granted, but surely this doesn't require 145 days' work to get finished? Wouldn't it be possible to have some of the inner stations open, even if the outer stations stay closed?

Also, the rail and sleepers are going to have to be renewed at some stage, sooner or later. If it takes 18 months just to replace the cables, how long will it take to do this job?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

Temporary closures are the only way to get major engineering work done, every railway company in the world has to do this, not just Irish Rail. Here is a list of UK rail disruptions, note the amount of weekend closures http://www.serco-online.com/html/engineering/engineering_ext.htm

Weekends are the best option as there is a much lower demand and more availability of replacement resources.

Ignoring the random insults.

To hold up the Brits as been a good example of rail management is ludicrous. Or in a smaller word just for you: mad.

Secondly, most of the closures mentioned are short term, the longest I saw was three months, but there are more where the work is happening at night.

Thirdly, most closures mentioned are rural, where bus tranfers will work using motorways. The urban closures that I saw were for London underground, which has redundancy built in to much of its route structure, ie they'll still get you quite near to wheere you want to go, even if one line is partly closed. I used to live there, I know this. Not something you can say here.

Forthly, bus tranfers, the idea that doubling the number of 46As from Dun Laoghire will compensate for the DART is a joke. The 46A take about 1:10min from DL to town, again I used for years going to and forth from college. The Dart, about 22 mins - so the difference is about an hour, each way, twice a day, 4 hours each weekend gone. More if you live further away. Have you ever used the 84?

Fifthly, IE is a public transport company, it's job is to provide a service to the public. The priority should be that, the €176 million to do the works comes from the tax payer, so that gives us (well me, I'm a taxpayer, I don't know about you) a vested interest in seeing it used right. I would not begrudge extra money being used to make sure that the work was done with less disruption.

By the way I don't use the DART anymore, I don't live that side of the city these days.

Nice points MadsL, if only!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭dglancy

Spokesperson said:

"We are delighted to also finally resolve all accessibility issues for our DART stations, to ensure all our customers can enjoy the benefits of our major investment programme."

And tell me, how the hell do they expect someone in a wheelchair to fit onto a DART at 5:30pm weekdays?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by Scruff
    <edit>beware: sarcasm </edit>
    Oh I think we got the sarcasm:)

@Borzoi: doesn't matter if someone is a taxpayer or not. May help someone to feel self-righteous while shouting "I'm a taxpayer" (not you, some people though) but public services are provided for the public, not based on how much tax someone pays (or even if they pay any). Doesn't affect the thrust and broad correctness of the rest of your post though.

Originally posted by Borzoi
    Ignoring the random insults..

To hold up the Brits as been a good example of rail management is ludicrous. Or in a smaller word just for you: mad.

The UK rail industry has many big problems, all due to chronic underfunding and ridiculous management structures imposed by various governments over the last half century. Now that they have been forced to invest in large scale infrastrucure upgrading work they are using large-scale weekend line posessions to get the work done, just as IE are now doing. In some cases they have had to resort to complete closures for several months to get the work done

Taken from above link:

11 July 2004 - continuously until 05 September 2004
    Anglia Railways
    First Great Eastern
    Manningtree - Ipswich

Harwich International - Ipswich
    London Liverpool Street - Ipswich - Norwich
    Ipswich - Harwich International
    Ipswich rail tunnel closed for rebuilding the railway track
    The railway will be closed completely through Ipswich Tunnel . No direct trains between Ipswich and London
    Some direct services between London and Norwich will be provided via an alternative route during weekday peak periods

Secondly, most of the closures mentioned are short term, the longest I saw was three months, but there are more where the work is happening at night.

Of course there will be many short term closures for relatively minor work, that is hardly the point. 3 months including partial weekday posessions is hardly short term (the first item on that page). Long term closures are necessary anywhere large scale work has to be carried out, that is just a fact of railway engineering.
    Thirdly, most closures mentioned are rural, where bus tranfers will work using motorways. The urban closures that I saw were for London underground, which has redundancy built in to much of its route structure, ie they'll still get you quite near to wheere you want to go, even if one line is partly closed. I used to live there, I know this. Not something you can say here..

If you lived in the UK then you should be aware of how congested the motorways from Yorkshire all the way to the south coast are. Out of that entire page only a handful of the closures are on lines that could be classed as rural, others are on some of the most intensively used inter-city lines in Europe where even minor diversions causes hours of delays to tens of thousands of passengers each day.
    Redundancy in London Underground, you must be joking, it is one of the most overcrowded metro systems in the world All central London stations have crowd control procedures where they restrict the numbers of passengers entering stations in the event of minor delays. When complete sections have had to be closed there has been huge transport problems throughout London as a result.
    Forthly, bus tranfers, the idea that doubling the number of 46As from Dun Laoghire will compensate for the DART is a joke. The 46A take about 1:10min from DL to town, again I used for years going to and forth from college. The Dart, about 22 mins - so the difference is about an hour, each way, twice a day, 4 hours each weekend gone. More if you live further away. Have you ever used the 84?

1. the 46a has a frequency of approx 10 mins so double that will be 5mins. on a Saturday you can easily wait over 20 mins before getting on a DART.

2. On a Saturday or Sunday I would expect the 46a overall journey time to be a little less than 1 hour.

3. If you travelled for years between Dun Laoghaire and town, did you ever notice how the 46a is not the most direct route? How much time would you have saved by using the 7? FYI Dun Laoghaire - City Centre by 7 on Saturday approx 30-45 mins depending on time of day.

4. Yes I have used the 84, it takes longer than the train, I never said it didn't. Lots of people use these bus services every day and their lives aren't ruined by it. People will have to make alternative arrangements for a while, their journeys will take longer. There are frequent bus services operating a short walk away from all southside DART stations, with the exception of Killiney where the roads are too narrow for busses. Most people in Dublin do not have any rail service to use at any time, the only public transport available being bus services that are crippled by the traffic congestion in the city.
    Fifthly, IE is a public transport company, it's job is to provide a service to the public. The priority should be that, the €176 million to do the works comes from the tax payer, so that gives us (well me, I'm a taxpayer, I don't know about you) a vested interest in seeing it used right. I would not begrudge extra money being used to make sure that the work was done with less disruption.

By the way I don't use the DART anymore, I don't live that side of the city these days.

Nice points MadsL, if only!

Yawn, Yawn, Yawn. The good old I am a taxpayer rant, bring it out (along with the personal insults) when you run out of relevant points to make. Earlier in your post you inferred that I am too stupid to understand words with more than three letters. Now you suggest, albeit unintentionally that I am a genius, that I can do the impossible and live in Ireland without paying any tax. Which is it? I will answer that one myself, it is the latter. Yes I am the only person in Ireland who has never paid a cent (or penny) in tax, anyone who wants to know my secret just send me a blank cheque in the post and I will sort you out, I promise;)

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭FinoBlad

great post John R, totally agree

• Advertisement

http://home.eircom.net/content/irelandcom/topstories/1635612?view=Eircomnet
    DART to run an extra weekend as Brennan intervenes
    Thursday, 9th October, 2003

Iarnród Éireann made further concessions in its plans for weekend closure of Dublin's DART service in the run up to Christmas.

The changes which follow the intervention of the Minister for Transport, Mr Brennan, yesterday, will now mean that DART will operate fully for the three weekends preceding Christmas.

Iarnród Éireann's spokesman Mr Barry Kenny said yesterday that suspending the work during the busy Christmas shopping period could leave the company open to cost overruns and delays.

The Department of Transport announced last night that it did "not expect there to be any excess in the €170 million budget and fully expects the three weekends out of the 75 weekend contract period can be made up in the valley period after Christmas."

In a strongly worded statement the Department said the full extent of the proposed closures had only been brought to the Minister's attention on Monday evening when he was personally briefed on them by the chairman of CIÉ, Dr John Lynch who is also the chairman of Iarnród Éireann.

Mr Brennan expressed concern for the Christmas shopping period which is one of the busiest periods of the year for DART but he was also sharply critical of Iarnród's Éireann's "failure to communicate either the closure or the fairly good alternative transport arrangements to its customers", the Minister's spokesman said last night.

The new arrangements follow a day of tough talking between Iarnród Éireann and the Department with an initial offer from Dr Lynch to keep just two weekends operational in the December run up to Christmas, rejected as unacceptable by the Minister.

Iarnród Éireann had planned from the beginning of this year to close DART stations between Grand Canal Basin and Greystones from this coming weekend until the middle of next year to allow a major modernisation programme to go ahead.

The modernisation programme includes lengthening platforms, improving footbridges, working on power lines and new sidings for extra DART trains.

The company spokesman Mr Kenny said yesterday that while the disruption was regrettable the public had spent much of the summer listening to cost overruns and delays with other infrastructure projects and they did not want to hear this of DART.

He said work would go on at night as well as at weekends, and the company had a good record on bringing in projects on time and under budget.

Mr Kenny said the Department had known for months of the plans to begin work in the autumn, while the Sunday Tribune took advertisement space in this newspaper yesterday to point out it had reported on the planned closures on September 7th.

The Department spokesman said the Minister was "firmly of the view" that the company had failed to advise its customers of the detail and extent of the closures and added that the Minister was looking forward to a new public information campaign.
    Originally posted by Syth
    On the continent they had the intelligence to make all of their platforms dead straight.
    Let me see, because Pearse - Dun Laoghaire (Old) was the first commuter railway in the world .... E\/4R!!!!11!!!!1
    Originally posted by kamobe
    If they can do it, why can't we? We'll sit here and bark about it, yet on Saturday those lazy sh1theads are still gonna screw over half the city on weekends.
    "half the city" - I presume you mean the posh half?

Last time I checked DART only serves part of the city, so closing half of the DART does not "screw over half the city on weekends".

And think of it this way, the number 7 or 46A will get you closer to Grafton Street, where you can hang out with your posh mates.

Advertisement