Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Am I Mad?

Options
  • 02-01-2015 10:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,458 ✭✭✭

There is some 1 and 2 bedroom properties around my hometown for 40-50k.

Would I be mad purchasing one and letting it out?

Never had a buy to let so I wouldn't be sure if it would be too much hassle.

Also if I had 5k and got a loan of the rest would you get a 10 year mortgage for a loan of 50k do you think?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,042 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

Really depends what the rental income of similar properties in the area are.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,458 ✭✭✭chops018

Averaging around 600-700 at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭Triceratops Ballet

I just got signed off on a 60k mortgage over 10 yrs. I only had 6k in savings repayments are 600 odd a month , so its possible.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

OP- sit down and do the sums.
    Your rental income is taxable income- it is not clear profit (though there are some expenses you can allow before determination of taxable income). You could end up with a sizeable chunk of the rental income being taxed @ over 50% (you also have to pay PRSI on the gross rental income now........)
    You have a lot of hassle with registering tenancies, vetting prospective tenants, possible issues with tenants- including but not confined to- overstaying tenancies- not paying rent etc etc
    Are you prepared for the amount of work that being a landlord entails?
    If anything at all goes wrong- the tenant will expect you to be at their beck and call..........

Also- rents are at historically high levels- its improbable that they will remain at these levels indefinitely.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,458 ✭✭✭chops018

OP- sit down and do the sums.
    Your rental income is taxable income- it is not clear profit (though there are some expenses you can allow before determination of taxable income). You could end up with a sizeable chunk of the rental income being taxed @ over 50% (you also have to pay PRSI on the gross rental income now........)
    You have a lot of hassle with registering tenancies, vetting prospective tenants, possible issues with tenants- including but not confined to- overstaying tenancies- not paying rent etc etc
    Are you prepared for the amount of work that being a landlord entails?
    If anything at all goes wrong- the tenant will expect you to be at their beck and call..........

Also- rents are at historically high levels- its improbable that they will remain at these levels indefinitely.

Nope. I didn't know any of that, thanks. I think I will put this idea in the backseat for a good few years so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,962 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

chops018 wrote: »
    Nope. I didn't know any of that, thanks. I think I will put this idea in the backseat for a good few years so.

If its an apartment don't forget maintaince fees.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 819 ✭✭✭Beaner1

A lot of hassle for what will amount to a couple of grand a year. Don't forget the potential risk of voids, non paying tenants and/or tenants causing massive damage to the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭gaius c

Averaging around 600-700 at the moment.

15-17% yield?

Without knowing any more, my cautious nature would think that if something looks too good to be true, it probably is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭JohnnyChimpo

Beaner1 wrote: »
    A lot of hassle for what will amount to a couple of grand a year. .

I think the benefit is that you own a property at the end of 10 years, let's not miss the point here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

OP you are better off sticking your money in an index. If you put your money in a share index such as the ISEQ. You would have had a return of 14.5% in 2014 with no work and less risk(index takes include all industries and sectors, so they are safer than buying a single share ).

Where as renting house in your area will require repairs, dealing with tenants BS(my mother had a tenant calling her on Xmas day at 3pm wondering what time she would collecting the rent that evening). Being a LL is too much work for the return

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Gerry Rio

There is some 1 and 2 bedroom properties around my hometown for 40-50k.

Where is your hometown?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Barely Hedged

hfallada wrote: »
    OP you are better off sticking your money in an index. If you put your money in a share index such as the ISEQ. You would have had a return of 14.5% in 2014 with no work and less risk(index takes include all industries and sectors, so they are safer than buying a single share ).

Where as renting house in your area will require repairs, dealing with tenants BS(my mother had a tenant calling her on Xmas day at 3pm wondering what time she would collecting the rent that evening). Being a LL is too much work for the return

Comparing directly a short term investment with a long term one. Not great advice

Advertisement