Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Arcade Talk 24/7/365

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,212 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

Chopped and painted :) Front bezel needs to be redone though, paint reacted in place with surface so going to have to strip it back completely seal and respray.

Plenty of work to be done yet but the messiest part is over now... so time to start rewiring :)

Nicely done!

• Registered Users Posts: 34,391 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

That looks super fresh! Run into any difficulties at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,717 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

o1s1n wrote: »
    That looks super fresh! Run into any difficulties at all?

Nothing too difficult, just time consuming and used a lot of paint (4 cans so far) !!
    Still need to cut and paint the side trim, fit new locks, sort out the top piece and thats just the mechanical stuff :D:D

Used appliance white enamel so it does look really clean and bright :pac:

Still not convinced the CRT is a good one, picture is not as bright and vibrant as I'd like, so probably need to recap the chassis and see if that improves things.
    Ideally I'd like to to replace it with a 15KHz CRT as the cab is being converted to Jamma (and Mame PC)

Master of the Universe

Never underestimate the power of a cap kit :D My Pony's MS8 was quite dim when I got it and is now super bright and looks like new after a few bulging caps were replaced.

Would be great to get a 15k in there alright, although finding one of that size might be difficult. What's his face, the lad that runs Digitalsystemdesigns seemed to be the go to for 29 inch tri syncs for a while.

Still not convinced the CRT is a good one, picture is not as bright and vibrant as I'd like, so probably need to recap the chassis and see if that improves things.
    Ideally I'd like to to replace it with a 15KHz CRT as the cab is being converted to Jamma (and Mame PC)

Check the pots on the remote board are still working right.
    Also have you actually left it on for any more than a few minutes?
    my mega touch takes 15/20 to come up to brightness.

• Advertisement

Ya the pots were a bit crusty alright but cleaned them and seem to be ok now.

Have left if power on for a few hours when doing the color gain/cutoff balancing act, possibly this is still wrong. I'm using the 240p SNES test suite for this.

Master of the Universe

Might just be that actually. I configured my SNK cab similarly using colour bars on a CPS2 board back when I bought it years ago. Always thought the monitor looked a little dim. Redid it there recently and it looks far brighter now.

If I remember correctly, I'd the brightness a little bit too high which was washing things out. Brought that down and then compensated by bringing the colours up.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭kevin2me

Nothing too difficult, just time consuming and used a lot of paint (4 cans so far) !!
    Still need to cut and paint the side trim, fit new locks, sort out the top piece and thats just the mechanical stuff :D:D

Used appliance white enamel so it does look really clean and bright :pac:

Nice one on this, glad it got a better home than here with me, 2 years its been dead!! You resurrected it nicely mate. I have one chopped Naomi as my next project cab too, I have a 15k screen in it, got a jamma loom, jamma psu to wire up yet, but these are so nice compared to stand up naomi, i even have a New net city legs stickers I bought like 4 years ago to throw on it!

So far all I have legs chopped and Monitor working via VGA cable.

Hope the rest of project goes well, looking forward to the finished results and hope that monitor improves with some TLC. The screen is prob the most important part of any cab, rest of the parts can be fixed or improved over time.

Good work mate!

12FmRTG4suBkjbNfWj4--WXp4ulbQRTjEmGHVEzMp0UBBxd1OXNjy7J4YUCRVALf8V-QUUiaoGkuFUrAMw=w513-h385-rw

• Registered Users Posts: 1,592 ✭✭✭BGOllie

did a video of that Poker cab to Bomb Jack conversion :

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭80s Synth Pop

Looks like all those cabs went to Arcade Club in UK https://ibb.co/kNPDq0

Have to visit there some day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭beejee

Now that the cats out of the bag, down the street, and emigrated I'll put up a few pictures from the first time I was there.

DSC-0862.jpg
    DSC-0892.jpg

DSC-08577.jpg
    DSC-0887.jpg
    DSC-0835.jpg
    DSC-0849.jpg
    DSC-0879.jpg
    DSC-088888.jpg

You probably get the gist. I'm sure arcade club will provide sparkling photos in comparison once they get around to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭80s Synth Pop

Great pics there. Where in Ireland was this? (if you can say). Can't recall seeing these cabs in the wild.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭TechnoFreek

Time Crisis 2. One of my grail cabs

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,526 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Virtua Racing :(
    And I divorced the wife and all in preparation!

Great pics there. Where in Ireland was this? (if you can say). Can't recall seeing these cabs in the wild.

It's probably not a brilliant secret at this stage, but think Northern. I've been all over the country at this stage and know a fair bit of what's where and maybe where

Time Crisis 2. One of my grail cabs

That was in perfect condition too, great game

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Virtua Racing :(
    And I divorced the wife and all in preparation!

I'm curious as to whether it was working or not. Very nice aesthetically. Loved the sonic emblems :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭TechnoFreek

beejee wrote: »
    That was in perfect condition too, great game

Stop! I don't have the space so it wouldnt have happened but I genuinely say this. A bigger house and I would be all over it.

Some time

Space, the final frontier (to owning arcade games). That's one of the things that got me thinking about emulating the arcade club over in England. I started a thread on it.

I mean, if you cant fit a hundred cabs into your house, may as well pretend to run a business to justify it :P

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

Anyone else feel like they may just never buy another arcade PCB ever again?

I've had an itch to pick something up over the last month or so (haven't bought a PCB in a couple of years) and the prices are totally turning me off. They've gone up X2 or even X3 in some cases. To the point where I'm starting to regret selling some bits under the assumption I could buy them back later if needed!

What I might do is officially call it a day, take stock on what I have and do something to enhance it. Have always wanted to mount my PCBs between two sheets of perspex and label them properly, apparently now might be the time!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭geotrig

yeah +1 , The last few years pick ups are pretty non existant , i made a pact with myself about 10-12 years ago when my funds weren't as available for this stuff that id just pick up the one game a year at least !! the last 3-4 have been pretty much zero. :o and what i have picked up hasnt been anything of huge value or importance !

Pricing has tempted me to even offload some more stuff but have resisted for the most part so far ! :eek:

Yep, prices are getting to that unjustifiable level alright. If I get one more cabinet I might be calling it a day.

There's still a lot of good games for semi reasonable prices, but everything is heading up and up

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,102 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Anyone else feel like they may just never buy another arcade PCB ever again?

I've had an itch to pick something up over the last month or so (haven't bought a PCB in a couple of years) and the prices are totally turning me off. They've gone up X2 or even X3 in some cases. To the point where I'm starting to regret selling some bits under the assumption I could buy them back later if needed!

What I might do is officially call it a day, take stock on what I have and do something to enhance it. Have always wanted to mount my PCBs between two sheets of perspex and label them properly, apparently now might be the time!

Just curious, where are you looking to check prices? AO, ebay?

Nobody wanted to buy any of my shmups when I had them for sale in the marketplace here at rock bottom prices an age ago. :pac:

Must have a look on AO these days, haven't been on there in years.

Master of the Universe

Andrew76 wrote: »
    Just curious, where are you looking to check prices? AO, ebay?

Nobody wanted to buy any of my shmups when I had them for sale in the marketplace here at rock bottom prices an age ago. :pac:

Must have a look on AO these days, haven't been on there in years.

Yep, AO and Ebay alright. AO used to have some bargains if you were quick enough, I bought a lot of stuff there over a few years.

When I saw Ibara and Esprade being listed for €600-800 I knew something was after changing since I'd been away from the site :eek:

Ebay has gone the same. I'd snipe a lot of auctions at the end. Can't do that anymore, always some loon willing to pay over the odds.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭geotrig

Yep, AO and Ebay alright. AO used to have some bargains if you were quick enough, I bought a lot of stuff there over a few years.

When I saw Ibara and Esprade being listed for €600-800 I knew something was after changing since I'd been away from the site :eek:

Ebay has gone the same. I'd snipe a lot of auctions at the end. Can't do that anymore, always some loon willing to pay over the odds.

Dont go near yahoo so ,prices are ridiculous beyond believe at this stage.

I think the problem with Ibara & esprade is for a while like 1 or 2 other games they were undervalued probably more so with esprade for a while.

also cave :crazy:

Master of the Universe

It kind of freaks me out a bit tbh! As much as I love collecting games and them having some kind of value, I'm still firmly in the camp of 'meant to be played'.

Takes the fun out of it when you have to suddenly start worrying about what is actually now an investment. At a rough calculation I must have about 2k at least worth of games sitting in a 6 slot switcher. I don't need that kind of stress when I'm just in the mood to fly a spaceship and blow things up :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭Luap

Any recommendations for Co-op games on the SNES?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Finally decided to pull the trigger on ordering a Super NT, have everything set to go and then get the delivery page. The cheapest shipping option is $50, and that's before you even think about the import tax.

• Advertisement

They are know for gouging on the shipping charges alright and will be probably with a courier so import tax is very likely.

Advertisement