Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ford Thames restoration project

• 20-04-2019 5:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Hi All,
    My grandad left me a restoration project. It's a 1957 Ford Thames pick up truck. I've never restored anything in my life but I am prepared to do it properly and take as many years as possible. I have the original log book. It's a 4 cylinder engine. I believe these are rare, does anybody know if this is true? Who can point me in the right direction? A couple of pics here....
    Would appreciate ANY help just to even know where to start....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭The Red Ace

Good luck with your restoration, you have a rare enough vehicle and parts may be hard enough to source. My advice would be join the Ford 400E owners club in the UK as I doubt there are any spares available here. Your 4cyl engine is a 1700cc unit and 3 speed gearbox with column change which could break your heart when the gearbox linkage got worn. I remember having to go in under the cab in rush hour traffic in OConnell st in Dublin to free out gears many moons ago. Maybe stick up a couple of photos of your pick up. The early Toyota HI Ace was loosely based on the 400E .

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Tiger31

Hope the 400E restoration is progressing well.

Two examples are regulars at the Eyrecourt Vintage Show every two years. Check out the Irish Vintage Scene magazine for the dates.

Advertisement