Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GAMSAT 2019

• 14-04-2019 4:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭

I was wondering whether anybody was preparing for the September 2019 exams, and if so, where were they planning to apply to.

I was looking at Scotland, for the economic reasons mostly, but with Brexit I don't know if it will be that stable of an option

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Recap

Consonata wrote: »
    I was wondering whether anybody was preparing for the September 2019 exams, and if so, where were they planning to apply to.

I was looking at Scotland, for the economic reasons mostly, but with Brexit I don't know if it will be that stable of an option

Why would Brexit have an effect on where you sit the GAMSAT?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭Consonata

Recap wrote: »
    Why would Brexit have an effect on where you sit the GAMSAT?

I mean Scotland for University, as in doing ScotGem, since its very very very cheap to do it there.

I mean Scotland for University, as in doing ScotGem, since its very very very cheap to do it there.

In the current political climate, I'd be very careful where you decide to do your medical degree. As an example, the commission that recognises medical degrees in my country has already started including the U.K. has a non-EU nation and as such, there is no longer any automatic recognition of the medical degree.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭RoamingDoc

In the current political climate, I'd be very careful where you decide to do your medical degree. As an example, the commission that recognises medical degrees in my country has already started including the U.K. has a non-EU nation and as such, there is no longer any automatic recognition of the medical degree.

While this is good advice, it is important to remember that these medical schools while just apply for recognition and have their programme assessed for same.
    The standards to attain will remain at their present levels so there is a very high likelihood of it being recognised, especially by the time the OP is graduating.

RoamingDoc wrote: »
    While this is good advice, it is important to remember that these medical schools while just apply for recognition and have their programme assessed for same.
    The standards to attain will remain at their present levels so there is a very high likelihood of it being recognised, especially by the time the OP is graduating.

Granted but recognition to practice in another country in the EU has to be in agreement with the European Directive 2005/36/CE. Unless the OP is going to go and practice in a country like the UK, he/she may face additional stages/bureaucracy.

I know that in my country of origin, for example, these additional steps include a year or two of local medical courses or volunteering experience in hospitals (where you essentially work for free as a junior doctor).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Sugarloaf12345

Preparing for September exam, applying to Limerick

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭RoamingDoc

where you essentially work for free as a junior doctor

Disgraceful. :mad:

I've no issue with someone having to undertake further education or shadowing to ensure patient safety but if someone is trusted enough to actually do the work, they should be paid for it.

I'm not surprised that it happens though.

RoamingDoc wrote: »
    Disgraceful. :mad:

I've no issue with someone having to undertake further education or shadowing to ensure patient safety but if someone is trusted enough to actually do the work, they should be paid for it.

I'm not surprised that it happens though.

Totally agree with you! It's a huge issue here and one that quite a few doctors are complaining about but as is usually the case with a disorganised healthcare system, no one really wants the blame. I just hope that in the coming years, healthcare staff get the recognition they deserve for the work they do (at least where I'm from).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭Consonata

Has anybody started their prep? I'm finding the whole thing a bit intimidating and not exactly sure where best to tackle it.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭arainagusime

Has anybody started their prep? I'm finding the whole thing a bit intimidating and not exactly sure where best to tackle it.

Start with one resource. Read it. Do the questions. Go chapter by chapter and note weaknesses, meaning if you get something wrong, write down the topic and what led you to reason incorrectly.

You can adapt your strategy as you work through that resource. You may find it lacking in a particular area and so you supplement it or eventually scrap it. Don't worry about that at the start.

Have a goal to do a practice exam at the middle of July at the latest, so you can get a benchmark of where you are, then in August do the remaining practice exams.

I did all of the above over 2 months and got a 58. Not great but good enough for what I want.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 1direction

Hey guys! I’ve a score of 57 (didn’t do a whole pile of work for the ole gamsat). Was wondering what people think my chances of getting a UCC offer would be? Slightly apprehensive of UL as I’ve just done a couple of years Vet Med in Ucd which started to introduce problem based learning (now this year was their first year at it) and didn’t really feel like I learned as much through that as I would have with lectures. Now I’m obviously going to take a UL offer if it came but ideally would love a UCC offer

• Registered Users Posts: 2 dubgyal

Hey guys, on a score of 56 on my first sitting. Really hoping this is enough for starting in UL Sept 2019, but slightly worried as I've heard of a good few people on this score. The percentile graph is worldwide so doesn't provide much help.
    Does anyone know if this score is average for Ireland? And any recommendations if I should sign up to the next sitting?

• Registered Users Posts: 15 BeckiB

Start with the Griffiths Gamsat Review, it goes step by step through all three sections and tells you what you need to do. It was the best one of all the stuff I bought.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭arainagusime

med19 wrote: »
    Offering GAMSAT section 2 (essay) tutoring for anyone who is looking to work on or improve their section 2 score. Scored a 75 on section 2. English literature BA from an Ivy League university. Money back if score doesn’t improve. Offering single sessions or recurring sessions. Pm for details!

Reported for having only 1 post and soliciting. What is an ivy league? That is the first clue that you aren't even in Ireland.

If anyone takes this person up on services, remember to ask for proof of their score, although score reports are easy to fake unless they are directly transmitted from Acer. Maybe ask for their CAO acceptance proof as well. Finally, don't send money until you have received services.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Gradmedjourney

Hey guys. I am have an instagram account where I am documenting my first year in graduate medicine. The handle is @gradmedjourney if you are interested. thanks :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 8 KingNobit

If anyone needs it I'm selling my notes cheap.

Chemistry essentials for dummies 5 euros
    Organic chemistry BIOS instant notes 5 euros
    101 passages in verbal reasoning 10 euros
    Kaplan MCAT45 10 euros
    Gradmed notes sections 1, 2 and 3 - 5 each or 10 for the lot.

Will also throw in the essay I used to get 78 in section 2. It works for any Task B topic! And will also throw in my Task A notes which I made myself.

Advertisement