19-09-2006, 13:25   #31
Garth Farley

It's easy on a Mac if you've it set up correctly.

Try holding down the "Alt" key and pressing the vowels aeoiu, you should get áéóíú.

If you don't, do the following: go into System Settings, International & select the Input Menu, and make sure that "Irish" is selected. Unless you type other languages with special characters, it would be advisable to have Irish the only option selected in this list.
-GF

[edit:typo]
Advertisement
31-12-2006, 20:35   #32
O_Murchu

i find the easiest ALT GR+vowel=fada
22-05-2009, 02:56   #33

After following instructions on here, I got it to work on AIM, MSN, Word, etc.

Mine is different: I press Ctrl then ' then vowel.

However it doesn't work on FireFox. Ctrl + Alt + Vowel works on Internet Explorer, however. That same key sequence works for Notepad also.

But nothing for FireFox? Bugger! I'm gonna fiddle with the settings on it...if anyone has any ideas, give me a buzz! Thanks for those who put useful help up, saved me a good deal of time!

EDIT

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/459

This add-on will enable it for FireFox.

Last edited by Beer Werewolf; 22-05-2009 at 03:17.
22-05-2009, 12:18   #34
dolanbaker

áéíóú yep that add-on works - using alt gr & letter

edit: my post moved while responding

Last edited by dolanbaker; 22-05-2009 at 12:20.
01-09-2009, 23:35   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gleanndún View Post
i just have my computer set to the english (gaelic) setting and it turns the single quotation into a hot key so that ' + a = á without having to hold things at the same time or nething.

i also have my own question tho, how do u make the dots on top of the consonants? ive heard something about something called "latin-8 ascii' but thats not on my computer and i have no idea where 2 get it. ne ideas ne1? go raibh maith agat!

gleanndún
I have the same query in reagards to the dots above the consonants. I've tried downloading fonts etc, but still have ALOT of trouble trying to get them to come up on screen!!
Advertisement
13-09-2009, 19:02   #36
Jay Pentatonic

WTF how haven't I found this out before!!!!!!!!!
all this time I've been using cut & paste with character map this alt gr thing is sooooooooo much easier!!!!!!!!!!!

Go raibh míle maith agat!!!!!
24-01-2010, 10:58   #37
nbrome

I put my language at English (Ireland) and keyboard US International. I still can't get fadas with either vowel + alt gr or vowel + ctrl alt. Or at least, vowel + alt gr gives me a fada now and again - a line of "a" s looks like secret code with a fada now and again!
Oh, and I see those inverted commas I just wrote give me double sets and I have to backtrack and cancel one out. Out of the frying pan?
18-02-2010, 14:04   #38
Poll Dubh

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbrome View Post
I put my language at English (Ireland) and keyboard US International. I still can't get fadas with either vowel + alt gr or vowel + ctrl alt. Or at least, vowel + alt gr gives me a fada now and again - a line of "a" s looks like secret code with a fada now and again!
Oh, and I see those inverted commas I just wrote give me double sets and I have to backtrack and cancel one out. Out of the frying pan?
You have to select an Irish keyboard
03-09-2010, 21:12   #39
dubhthach

My work laptop has an american keyboard layout. As a result I downloaded a keymap called "United States-Gaeilge". I can do both fada's and punc buailte
ḃ ċ ḋ ḟ ġ ṁ ṗ ṡ ṫ

Dubhthach -> Duḃṫaċ
Advertisement
11-11-2010, 11:48   #40

Screen wipes...random dust specks are confusing me as far as punctuation.

What is alt GR?
11-11-2010, 12:06   #41
dubhthach

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWard View Post
Screen wipes...random dust specks are confusing me as far as punctuation.

What is alt GR?
It's the key to the right of the spacebar. On some keyboards it might be just a second Alt key:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AltGr

It's what's called a modifier key. For example you can use it to put in stuff like
AltGr + C = ©
AltGr + R = ®

As well as symbols like: ¼½¾¥×÷¿¶×÷§Æ¢µ
Thanks from:
11-11-2010, 12:31   #42

OK...not a native option on my laptop. I installed the firefox add-on though so that may be my best option. Thanks!
07-12-2010, 16:02   #43

how about you try this
ctrl + alt + the vowel you want
im only 14, and when i do irish essays etc on my computer i use this, works on every computer ive ever used, regardless of the regional gobbledygook
give it a go
áéíóú
15-07-2011, 08:44   #44
dory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indiego View Post
how about you try this
ctrl + alt + the vowel you want
im only 14, and when i do irish essays etc on my computer i use this, works on every computer ive ever used, regardless of the regional gobbledygook
give it a go
áéíóú
Works on your computers because they all come from the same country I presume?

I really need to get the fadas working. I have an American laptop. No Alt-Gr and the above doesn't work. I have changed the keyboard to Irish and then Gaelic (both under English) but there is no English (Ireland).

Any ideas??
15-07-2011, 09:42   #45
dubhthach

Quote:
Originally Posted by dory View Post
Works on your computers because they all come from the same country I presume?

I really need to get the fadas working. I have an American laptop. No Alt-Gr and the above doesn't work. I have changed the keyboard to Irish and then Gaelic (both under English) but there is no English (Ireland).

Any ideas??
My laptop has a US keyboard. You have two options, switch it to "US-International" in which case AltGr + key should work. You can also download and install "United States Gaeilge" which is what I use (under Win 7 x64) http://mearchlar.tripod.com/

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion