Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

***2012/2013 Online Grant Application Opens Monday 12th June***

• 26-05-2012 1:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,383 ✭✭✭Aoibheann

All new grant applications will go by the regulations here.
    New Grant Applications for 2012-13
    A new ONLINE ONLY grant applications system is being introduced for 2012. All new applications will be made online to a single awarding authority, Student Universal Support Ireland (SUSI) through www.studentfinance.ie.

When can I make my grant application?

The details of the 2012 Student Grant Scheme are due to be announced in May and the SUSI online application system will be available from that date. You can continue to check www.studentfinance.ie for information and updates in the meantime.

How do I make my grant application?

As soon as the online application system opens for the 2012/13 academic year, you will be able to register online with SUSI and then complete the online application form. The online application facility will be available through www.studentfinance.ie. Remember, it will NOT be necessary to have received an offer of a college place or to be enrolled in college in order to apply online.

How will I submit my supporting documentation?

Following initial assessment of your application, if eligible, you will receive by post a provisional grant approval and a personalised list of the supporting documents you will need to return to complete your application. Completed documentary evidence packs (photocopies of the documents, not originals) should be returned as soon as possible in the envelope provided to you.

When you return all the necessary supporting documents SUSI will process your application to award stage, subject to confirmation of your acceptance on an approved course.

When will I receive a final decision from SUSI?

When you confirm acceptance of a place on an approved course (usually late August/early September), your grant is awarded and payment will be made on a monthly basis (subject to confirmation of attendance) directly into your designated Irish bank account.

Where can I contact SUSI?

As part of SUSI’s support to students, there is a SUSI Support desk available in the lead up to and following the launch of the online application system for both email and telephone queries. You can email the SUSI Support Desk at support@susi.cdvec.ie

Or telephone us at 0761 08 7874

The Support Desk is available Office Hours Monday-Friday until the Launch of the Online Application System in May. From the launch date, the SUSI Support Desk will be available from 9.00am-10.00pm (Monday-Friday) and 9.00am-6.00pm (Saturdays)

What if I’m already in receipt of a grant?

Students who are currently in receipt of a student grant and who are progressing to the next year of the same course will continue to be assessed and paid by the existing awarding authorities - i.e. the relevant local authority or Vocational Educational Committee. If you are changing your course or progressing to a new course you will need to apply to SUSI.

If renewing for the upcoming academic year, you *should* get a renewal form in the post from your local CC/VEC. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Avox

I'm fairly confused by this.. is the form available online or not? :confused: All I can find are all the regulations. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 6,383 ✭✭✭Aoibheann

As far as I can see, it's not available yet but should be in the next few days. Any new applicants will have to register through this new SUSI system once it's up (and you're advised to keep an eye on the Student Finance website for that), anyone who is merely renewing will get a form from their CC/VEC and return it to them as usual.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,537 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭longhalloween

Does anyone know what conditions must be met to be awarded a grant?

Does anyone know what conditions must be met to be awarded a grant?

See Citizensinformation.ie for more information

Details of conditions can be found here

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/education/third_level_education/fees_and_supports_for_third_level_education/maintenance_grant_schemes_for_students_on_third_level_courses.html

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Shifty

A new ONLINE ONLY grant applications system is being introduced for 2012. All new applications will be made online to a single awarding authority, Student Universal Support Ireland (SUSI) through www.studentfinance.ie.

When can I make my grant application?

The Online application system for Student Grants for 2012-2013 academic year will be available from the evening of Monday 11th June 2012.

Please apply for your grant early; you do not need to know the exact course you will be attending in order to make an application.

How do I make my grant application?

As soon as the online application system opens for the 2012-13 academic year, you will be able to register online with SUSI and then complete the online application form. The online application facility will be available through www.studentfinance.ie. Remember, it will NOT be necessary to have received an offer of a college place or to be enrolled in college in order to apply online.

How will I submit my supporting documentation?

Following initial assessment of your application, if eligible, you will receive by post a provisional grant approval and a personalised list of the supporting documents you will need to return to complete your application. Completed documentary evidence packs (photocopies of the documents, not originals) should be returned as soon as possible in the envelope provided to you.

When you return all the necessary supporting documents SUSI will process your application to award stage, subject to confirmation of your acceptance on an approved course.

When will I receive a final decision from SUSI?

When you confirm acceptance of a place on an approved course (usually late August/early September), your grant is awarded and payment will be made on a monthly basis (subject to confirmation of attendance) directly into your designated Irish bank account.

Where can I contact SUSI?

As part of SUSI’s support to students, there is a SUSI Support desk available in the lead up to and following the launch of the online application system for both email and telephone queries. You can email the SUSI Support Desk at support@susi.cdvec.ie

Or telephone us at 0761 08 7874

The Support Desk is available Office Hours Monday-Friday until the Launch of the Online Application System in May. From the launch date, the SUSI Support Desk will be available from 9.00am-10.00pm (Monday-Friday) and 9.00am-6.00pm (Saturdays)

What if I’m already in receipt of a grant?

Students who are currently in receipt of a student grant and who are progressing to the next year of the same course will continue to be assessed and paid by the existing awarding authorities - i.e. the relevant local authority or Vocational Educational Committee. If you are changing your course or progressing to a new course you will need to apply to SUSI.

http://www.studentfinance.ie/mp9540/new-grant-applications-for-2012-13/index.html

• Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭augusta24

Just wondering, is it still being decided by local county councils or is it one big department deciding?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

I'm confused by this, I previously received a grant for a different course, I'm not going into second year of a new course so I'm eligible for the grant again. As I'm not technically a new student/have received the grant in the past where do I apply, the VEC or through the new system?

Shifty wrote: »
    if you are changing your course or progressing to a new course you will need to apply to SUSI.

http://www.studentfinance.ie/mp9540/new-grant-applications-for-2012-13/index.html

@ pigwidgeon - this paragraph above suggests to me you go through SUSI

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Any update on this? The site is still saying:
    The Online application system for Student Grants for 2012-2013 academic year will be available from the evening of Monday 11th June 2012.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭longhalloween

Paully D wrote: »
    Any update on this?

The site is going really slow this evening so I'd say the traffic is enormous.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭witchity2

Anyone managed to register yet?

A lot of important explanatory documents at

http://ym.adnet.ie/mp9519/further-downloads/index.html

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

I was trying to help my step daughter complete an online application last night. The form asks for country of birth and nationality.

She was born in the Czech Republic, but the form lists Czechoslovakian as a nationality, and not Czech or Slovakian. Czechoslovakian nationality ceased to exist in 1993.

dilallio wrote: »
    I was trying to help my step daughter complete an online application last night. The form asks for country of birth and nationality.

She was born in the Czech Republic, but the form lists Czechoslovakian as a nationality, and not Czech or Slovakian. Czechoslovakian nationality ceased to exist in 1993.

Ring susi support

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Carr.7407

witchity2 wrote: »
    Anyone managed to register yet?

Not yet and looks like its goin to take forever...can't progress past section C confirmation window not displaying properly ...rang helpdesk last night said it would be sorted within the hour ....tried again this morning same problem ...emailed problem and replied back that it would be looked at within 24 hours....Looks to me that their going to have to extend their closing date...anyone with same problems????:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

Rang SUSI support this morning to find out the income limits ..........They are so busy the call goes through to an overflow call centre .

But they did take my details and told me to expect a call back later .

Rang SUSI support this morning to find out the income limits ..........They are so busy the call goes through to an overflow call centre .

But they did take my details and told me to expect a call back later .

The income levels are clearly published for undergraduate courses here - the first document shows them

www.studentfinance.ie/mp9519/further-downloads/index.html

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭ciano1

Carr.7407 wrote: »
    Not yet and looks like its goin to take forever...can't progress past section C confirmation window not displaying properly ...rang helpdesk last night said it would be sorted within the hour ....tried again this morning same problem ...emailed problem and replied back that it would be looked at within 24 hours....Looks to me that their going to have to extend their closing date...anyone with same problems????:mad:

When you're in the site, in the address bar of your browser where it says _part6.xsp? , replace the 6 with a 7 and it lets you past!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

The income levels are clearly published for undergraduate courses here - the first document shows them

www.studentfinance.ie/mp9519/further-downloads/index.html

Thanks - The income limits are on page 36 of that pdf

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Questionable?

Does anyone know how they measure the distance from where you live to the college? AA maps says I'm 46.5km, but google maps says I'm 44.5km.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Carr.7407

ciano1 wrote: »
    When you're in the site, in the address bar of your browser where it says _part6.xsp? , replace the 6 with a 7 and it lets you past!

Thanks for that it worked lets hope its plain sailing from here!!!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭Bubblegum18

Does anyone know how they measure the distance from where you live to the college? AA maps says I'm 46.5km, but google maps says I'm 44.5km.

Ya I have the same problem, I think Last year I was given the adjacent rate instead of the non-adjacent which is really unfair, I cant find my exact location on google maps or the AA just the town which I live about 6 miles from!!!!! That 6 miles will make a huge difference to the grant I hope to get!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5 mollyjude

Does anyone know if you can receive the SUSI grant and also partake in the HEAR scheme??

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Avox

mollyjude wrote: »
    Does anyone know if you can receive the SUSI grant and also partake in the HEAR scheme??

You can indeed. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5 mollyjude

Thank you :D

Anyone know what is the average waiting list for the application to be processed?

Id imagine it is around 4 or 5 weeks (plucking a figure out of the sky here it could be alot lot more or perhaps less :)) but I applied at around 8.30pm on the 11th which is the evening the system opened so i got it in considerably early though i imagine there was alot of fingers on the button same evening

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Boognish

What's the deadline for getting an application in?

Boognish wrote: »
    What's the deadline for getting an application in?

31st August. Loads of time but sooner you get it in sooner it will be processed through the system.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Boognish

Alright thanks

Advertisement