Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

New collections coming online 2013/4

Options
  • 20-10-2013 11:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭

Claire Santry's most recent blog post is full of exciting news! Here is an excerpt:
    By Christmas, indexes and images of the surviving census fragments from the 1821 – 1851 censuses will be available on the National Archives of Ireland's Genealogy website. They will be joined by the Census Search forms (ie pension application forms for research into the 1841 and/or 1851 censuses). The collections will appear also on FamilySearch and FindMyPast, all free.

The irishgenealogy.ie site will also be getting an upgrade before the festive season arrives. We'll be able to enjoy a completely new incarnation and much enhanced version of the Irish Civil Registration indexes. This includes all maiden names from 1903 to 1927 (maiden names didn't start appearing in the published birth registration indexes until 1928), as well as birth dates from the same starting date. I understand that this new database carries records right up to current, whereas existing versions stop at 1958 (or 1921 for Northern Ireland).

At around the same time, or just possibly into January, the National Archives's collection of Valuation Office field, house, tenure and quarto books will join the line up. These too, will be getting the freedom of FMP and Family Search.

Happy so far? Let's see what the New Year will bring:

In the first quarter of 2014, the Diocesan Court and Prerogative Court records will be added. These include the indexes to wills, administrations and marriage licence bonds, pre-1858.

The original Wills books from 1858 onwards for all areas except Dublin will also be added.

Again, these collections will appear also on FamilySearch and FindMyPast, all free.

In Northern Ireland, wills for the Civil War period, and right up to the 1960s will be uploaded to PRONI's website by March 2014. By then, the remaining 44 volumes missing from the initial upload of Revision Books will also have been added to the database.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭Waitsian

Claire Santry's most recent blog post is full of exciting news! Here is an excerpt:

In Northern Ireland, when will we see the online GRO records we've been promised before the end of 2013 I wonder?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

Great to see these additional collections planned for the IrishGenealogy website rather than going to some pay-website.

I was talking to a guy from the Dept. Arts Heritage & Gealtacht about the site and they are still chasing Church records to add, but running into the problems we've heard about before. Records for of some Cork & Ross/Cork city RC parishes records, and I think some for Co. Monaghan are transcribed but in limbo as a result..

Suggested a volunteer transcriber approach be tried out on some collections. Dont know if the numbers involved here have been researched, but there must be a reasonable number of people in Ireland with an interest who would be prepared to put in a couple of hours transcribing, or indexing, a few pages from a collection. Add that to whatever percentage of the millions of people who have, or claim, Irish decent around the world who should be able contribute..

(I presume FamilySearch volunteers were involved in transcribing some of the new records)

Extra work is involved often in setting up the system to administer a project like this, but saves money in the long run and adds otherwise unaffordable expertise to a project

^^ I think the plan is to have the GRONI online system up in the first half of 2014

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

might be related to the upcoming Index update - the old GRO order form URL is now auto-forwarding to part of the Dpt. of Social Protection website... haven't looked for the forms yet for research certs..

old link : http://www.groireland.ie/apply_for_a_cert.htm

forwards to : http://www.welfare.ie/en/Pages/General-Register-Office.aspx

update - order forms here, with the new email delivery option included.

shanew wrote: »

^^ I think the plan is to have the GRONI online system up in the first half of 2014

I'm now hearing March 2014.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭tonycascarino

Any update in relation to these records?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

No progress from the GRO or the National Archives and no explanation either. The word is that the enhanced GRO index will be up next month (i.e. the one that starts tomorrow).

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭dido2

Just saw this on Claire Santrys Page

Military pension records to be released on 17 January

At long last, the pension records of those who fought in the Easter Rising and War of Independence are to be released on Friday 17 January.

This collection, which holds some 300,000 files relating to 60,000 people who earned an old IRA pension, has been much anticipated.

The pensioners served as members of the Irish Volunteers, the Irish Citizen Army, the Irish Republican Army, Cumann na mBan, the National Army/Defence Forces and similar organisations during the period from April and May 1916 to 30 September 1923. Together with applications by individuals and/or their dependants for the award of a pension or gratuity, the records include statements from commanding officers explaining what each recipient did to earn the pension, plus many maps, drawings and diagrams.

Appropriately enough, the official launch will take place at the GPO in O'Connell Street and the collection will be free to view on the Military Archives website.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,647 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Some of the greatest works of fiction ever written in Ireland will be in that collection - far more people claimed the IRA pension than were ever realistically involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

MYOB wrote: »
    Some of the greatest works of fiction ever written in Ireland will be in that collection - far more people claimed the IRA pension than were ever realistically involved.

But they required quite a number of witnesses to verify their claim to a pension so it would not have been easy to claim this. Or am I being too naive?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

If you include the National Army post-truce I suppose 60,000 might be reasonable but no way were that number involved in the War of Independence.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,647 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

But they required quite a number of witnesses to verify their claim to a pension so it would not have been easy to claim this. Or am I being too naive?

Pretty easy for a set to 'witness' each other's claims

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

. This includes all maiden names from 1903 to 1927 (maiden names didn't start appearing in the published birth registration indexes until 1928), as well as birth dates from the same starting date. I understand that this new database carries records right up to current, whereas existing versions stop at 1958 (or 1921 for Northern Ireland).

Does anybody know if this has happened yet?

My great-grandmother had a child outside of marriage and this would be helpful.

They haven't been updated yet, but the records with mothers maiden names are available in the GRO in Dublin!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

dido2 wrote: »
    They haven't been updated yet, but the records with mothers maiden names are available in the GRO in Dublin!

Ah I know that thanks :) but being an at home dad means I don't have the free time to get in any more.

And I don't think the people in the GRO would be overly happy with me bringing a 2 year old in with me.

I've been really hoping they would sort it and I could check this from home soon.

First World Problems etc

dido2 wrote: »

Are they new prints of the register indexes or are they accessed in another way? This is probably the only way I can economically go down one arm of my tree due to them having the most common surname in the registration district...

MYOB wrote: »
    Are they new prints of the register indexes or are they accessed in another way? This is probably the only way I can economically go down one arm of my tree due to them having the most common surname in the registration district...

They are the same books that have always beeen there, they are quite handy really if you've got a surname and a date of birth because any of the books i looked at had date's of births too!!!

Advertisement