Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

how to get rid of cookie consent notices on firefox

• 14-04-2021 4:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

I clear my cookies each time i use the web as i share my device with others. Whats the best way to stop the annoying notices to accept or reject cookies on each website? I see there is an ad-on for firefox called "i dont care about cookies" but it needs permission for accessing my data on all websites which I am not sure about. Anyone know whats the best way of getting rid of these notices?
    Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Do you intend to accept or deny all cookies by default?

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Cooled

Spear wrote: »
    Do you intend to accept or deny all cookies by default?

Would prefer to reject as default but dont mind accepting if it would otherwise break the site

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Cooled wrote: »
    Would prefer to reject as default but dont mind accepting if it would otherwise break the site

Default deny is set by going to options -> privacy and security, and Under Enhanced Tracking protection, you set the level to custom, which will have the choice of blocking all cookies.

You could then set an exception for any needed sites, to only accept their cookies for the session.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Cooled1

Spear wrote: »
    Default deny is set by going to options -> privacy and security, and Under Enhanced Tracking protection, you set the level to custom, which will have the choice of blocking all cookies.

You could then set an exception for any needed sites, to only accept their cookies for the session.

Op here. I went and got logged out of my account after clearing cookies to check this and couldn’t remember password lol. Anyway thanks for the suggestion but it didn’t work, I still got asked for cookies on every site when I tried this on Firefox on android. I also tried it on Firefox on iOS and it doesn’t even have an option to select custom under enhanced tracking protection, you can only select strict on iOS.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,300 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

don't know about Firefox but I use I don't care about cookies extension on Chrome
    occasionally it can block a site from working properly so I double check by opening it in Edge but othr than that I don't get the annoying pop ups

• Advertisement

Skerries wrote: »
    don't know about Firefox but I use I don't care about cookies extension on Chrome
    occasionally it can block a site from working properly so I double check by opening it in Edge but othr than that I don't get the annoying pop ups

Thanks yeah that extension is available for firefox too, but it requires access to all my web data which is kind of what I am trying to avoid in the first place really.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,665 ✭✭✭Worztron

I block all cookies by default and then create a white list (exceptions) for the cookies that I need for logins to happen, etc.

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

Worztron wrote: »
    I block all cookies by default and then create a white list (exceptions) for the cookies that I need for logins to happen, etc.

How do you do that? When I tried it on firefox i still got the popup on every website asking about cookies

• Registered Users Posts: 9,116 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

You'd need an adblock plugin like uBlock Origin and then a filter list like this one to avoid the popups:

https://github.com/r4vi/block-the-eu-cookie-shit-list

• Registered Users Posts: 8,665 ✭✭✭Worztron

Cooled1 wrote: »
    How do you do that? When I tried it on firefox i still got the popup on every website asking about cookies
    Hi Cooled1. Click 'Manage Permissions' to get to the exceptions window. I also use uBlock Origin.

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Advertisement
Advertisement