Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Clone Hd or reinstall

• 11-04-2021 10:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 10,475 ✭✭✭✭

Hi, I've ordered an SSD for an old laptop and there is nothing on it important. would cloning the HD or just reinstall windows from a creation tool be the best way?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,116 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

I'd go for the clean install. It's easier and less faffing about than with cloning. There's less cruft built up using Windows 10 compared to older OSs, but it's still nice to go in fresh.

Extract what files you need from the old drive and the Windows key if you need it. You don't have to wipe it straight away, it can remain a backup image until you're completely happy with the new install.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,475 ✭✭✭✭guil

Seen something about the Uefi storing the windows key before

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

guil wrote: »
    Seen something about the Uefi storing the windows key before
    If it was pre activated in this way, you can extract the key for activation first by doing this:

- Press Windows key + X
    - Click Command Prompt (Admin)
    - At the command prompt, type:

wmic path SoftwareLicensingService get OA3xOriginalProductKey

This will reveal the product key (copy / paste for later).

• Registered Users Posts: 13,729 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

I'd go for the clean install. It's easier and less faffing about than with cloning. There's less cruft built up using Windows 10 compared to older OSs, but it's still nice to go in fresh.

Extract what files you need from the old drive and the Windows key if you need it. You don't have to wipe it straight away, it can remain a backup image until you're completely happy with the new install.

I concur with this fine gentleman, a clean install will do wonders for your machine and you can simply connect the other drive as storage, copy over what you want to retain to your new SSD and then re-format the old drive to be your new storage drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Philipx

Did this on a laptop & my desktop a couple of weeks ago.

Usb with Media Creation Tool for fresh install of Win 10.

If you install the same version as previously installed on the machine (Win 10 Home or Pro or whatever) it should automatically activate when you connect to the internet.

• Advertisement
Advertisement