Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

weird playback loop

• 03-03-2021 5:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭

Not sure if this is the right forum, but anyway. A strange thing happened a few weeks ago, and again today.
    I was on a phone call to a friend who is currently in the Canary Islands. While we were chatting the person I was talking to started saying stuff as if they were talking to someone else. After a minute or so I realised I was listening to a recording of our conversation from a few minutes previously. It was only their side of the conversation that was being played back. It was on a loop. I could hear their voice saying something and then there would be a gap and then they would say something else and another gap, and so on. The gaps in the conversation were the parts where I was saying something. After about two minutes or so, the loop would start all over again.
    The phone I was using is an old cell phone, not a smartphone. Their phone is a smartphone. From their end of things they just thought the call had been dropped. So they were trying to phone me back while I was still on the phone listening to a playback loop on my phone.
    I've googled the issue but there seems to be little information. Lots of theories but no definite explaination.
    Has this happened to anyone else?
    It's worrying that the conversation was being recorded, even if it was only their end of the conversation. My own phone doesn't even have a recording function on it

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭hgfj

Anyone else have an experience of this?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,981 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

In some jurisdictions it is illegal to record both sides of a conversation without explicit consent of both parties, but is legal to record your own side.

I would suspect the phone on the Canary Islands side ...... maybe it is set to record his conversation but only records one side because of default restrictions?

The person I was talking to did not record the conversation. In fact she had no access to the recording at all. It was only me who could hear it. She thought the call had been dropped and was trying to ring me back, while on my end I didn't even realise at first that we weren't talking any more. What I mean is this happened in the middle of our conversation. On her side the line went dead. On my side I could hear her talking but she wasn't making any sense. She started to repeat phrases she had said earlier on in the conversation, and didn't seem to be listening to anything I was saying, and talking over me, and then I realised I was listening to a recording of our conversation but only from her side.
    My phone doesn't even have a recording facility and yet here I was listening to this loop.

The first time it happened ( a few weeks ago) the loop seemed to last about two minutes or so before it started all over again. The second time I'm not sure how long the loop lasted for because I hung up and rang her back when I realised I was listening to a loop again.
    I don't think it has anything to with either of our phones. My feeling is that it's something to do with the telecom provider, OR some other agency.

Either way it's worrying to realise a private though mundane conversation is being recorded by someone/something for whatever purpose.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,981 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Did it ever happen with another party?

TBH I would still suspect a phone setting..

• Advertisement
Advertisement