Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Mental health and CoVid-19

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,758 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

I wonder what people will be like post this crisis

Will people be more aggressive/rude to retail workers, will alcohol/drug dependency rise etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,147 ✭✭✭lucalux

Anyone who'd like a month's free Calm app membership can PM me, i get a few gift memberships every month that don't get used much.

Meditation, sleep stories by actors/writers etc, and positive type stuff to be focusing on.

Calm.com has some resources on it's blog too, including some nice mindfulness journals to print off and muddle through

https://blog.calm.com/mindfulness-resources

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

What’s people experience with sleeping tablets? I’ve always had issues sleeping but it’s gotten very bad now.

fin12 wrote: »
    What’s people experience with sleeping tablets? I’ve always had issues sleeping but it’s gotten very bad now.

Some are good some are bad

I take one phenergan 25MG tablet a night and it takes a while to kick in sometimes it doesn't work but sometimes It works ok

Be prepared for some weird sometimes scary dreams

• Registered Users Posts: 21,517 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Have had good and bad experiences.

Talk to your GP.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭jonnny68

not good avoid it alt all possible, take CBD oil its fantastic for sleep but get the proper stuff and not the rubbish they sell in retail shops here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭Downlinz

PTH2009 wrote: »
    I wonder what people will be like post this crisis

Will people be more aggressive/rude to retail workers, will alcohol/drug dependency rise etc

It'll take a long time for what has happened to sink in and really see what the societal change is.

I remember for the recession most people were still pretty jovial and optimistic in the early stages around 2008 and 2009 but it was only in the later stages around 2011 and 2012 the darkness really hit when many were long term unemployed, families were beginning to realise that their son/daughter who went abroad wasn't coming back and rural towns were becoming depopulated never to recover.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭Icepick

“Everything can be taken from a man but one thing: the last of the human freedoms—to choose one’s attitude in any given set of circumstances, to choose one’s own way.”
    ― Viktor E. Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning

That saying

'Same **** different day' is becoming an annoying reality

But at the end of the day things could be a lot worse and quite possibly will be. Lots of heartbreak for familys all over the world

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Unreg0909

Heighway61 wrote: »
    One of my wife's clients has tested positive. My wife has been told she won't be tested unless she is showing symptoms and to keep working. Same for home helps who have had contact with this person.

They don't know what they are doing. We're screwed.

Are you both ok?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Unreg0909

I have always suffered from anxiety but at the moment my mental health is horrific, I feel paralysed with fear. Myself my husband and our child all have asthma and the thoughts of any or all of us getting this virus terrifies me. I know a lot of people are in the same boat. I’ve been having fully blown panic attacks most nights which doesn’t help. I wake up in then mornings and for a few minutes forget about all of this, then it comes back to me and the fear sets in again. Wish I knew what to do to help myself.

jonnny68 wrote: »
    not good avoid it alt all possible, take CBD oil its fantastic for sleep but get the proper stuff and not the rubbish they sell in retail shops here.

Where can I get the proper stuff?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,075 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Losing my autonomy, lack of options and the totalitarian uncertainty is very hard to take. I ****ing hate not knowing when this will end or even when it will get worse I feel like a goldfish staring out of a bowl blinking the monotony away.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

Some useful ideas here

• Registered Users Posts: 24,803 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Just thought I’d share the breakdown of my average day, that keeps me busy, well, busy as allowed to be...

9.30am - up and shower and dressed.

10.30 - breakfast / cleanup

11.30 - email / surf the web / news catchup

12.15 - exercise : walk / bike / weights / floor exercises

13.30 - make lunch / eat lunch / cleanup

15.00 - Relax / tv / internet / reading / online

15.30 - quick walk

16.30 - home relaxing : tv - internet - reading - ps4

17.30 - make dinner / eat dinner

19.00 - exercise : bike / weights / floor exercises / walk again if I’m arsed

20.00 - chill times - tv - internet - reading ps4

00.00 - bed

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭DisneyLover

I was a patient for almost 4 months last summer in St Pats hospital for anxiety/depression and now just in twice a month as an outpatient for my eating disorder.

They sent me a huge letter outlining all the help they can provide me with and that my MDT are all available for me at any time. My appointments with CBT therapist and consultant will be done by video.

They are such an amazing hospital. I would recommend to all of ye and to anyone who needs them :)

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Minnie Snuggles

I really feel like I have lost it. My 85 year old father, who lives on his own - in a different county, has started showing symptoms. My sister was told it would be 10 days before he could be tested. Tested or not makes no difference to me, as far as I am concerned we have to assume he has the virus. My main concerns are that:

1. those who bring him essentials are aware that he has symptoms - he has no internet nor credit card or debit card, anyone who brings him things he will insist on paying by cash.
    2, how can we monitor his breathing from a distance.

I have had a major row with my sister, who does not want anyone to know that he is ill (to me in this climate is beyond ridiculous), but she is the one my fathers doctor is talking to, I am disgusted that he has not told her to contact my fathers contacts.

I spoke to one of my fathers neighbours and found out how many people he has been in contact with. He is a stubborn mule at the best of times and will lie through his teeth. It is only by digging that we can protect the ones who have been kind to him, now is not a time for egos.

I am at breaking point.

I was a patient for almost 4 months last summer in St Pats hospital for anxiety/depression and now just in twice a month as an outpatient for my eating disorder.

They sent me a huge letter outlining all the help they can provide me with and that my MDT are all available for me at any time. My appointments with CBT therapist and consultant will be done by video.

They are such an amazing hospital. I would recommend to all of ye and to anyone who needs them :)

I've had several admissions there myself and couldn't recommend them highly enough.

I had a video appointment with my psychiatrist there yesterday. It was a bit strange but good to link in.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,342 ✭✭✭1800_Ladladlad

How much was your stay ?

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭never_mind

Hi everyone,

Don’t think I’ve seen a thread like this yet.

Just got off the phone to my Father who lives alone in rural ireland. He usually sees his friends during the day and has been relatively happy until this happened. He’s 61 and a widower and is lost without his circle of friends. He was crying today. I haven’t seen him cry in years. I’m beginning to see the toll these restrictions are having on me and more importantly on him.

I call him twice a day and have tried my best to figure out ways to get him through this. How is everyone else coping mentally? Anyone else have a parent in a similar situation? How are you managing it?

I don’t want this thread to turn into a debate about restrictions but about useful advice to support older people and the vulnerable who are now even more isolated due to this.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 461 ✭✭Sober Crappy Chemis

• Registered Users Posts: 30,180 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I'd also be concerned about people. I can actually see people snapping and people saying get over yourself all you've to do is stay inside aren't really helping the situation.
    All I can say to you is ring him and get others to stay in contact with him and sort of stay positive.
    Also is he into the web; etc. If not you could try and organise some DVD's, etc for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭never_mind

Sorry. Mods you can merge this if you’d like!

I'd also be concerned about people. I can actually see people snapping and people saying get over yourself all you've to do is stay inside aren't really helping the situation.
    All I can say to you is ring him and get others to stay in contact with him and sort of stay positive.
    Also is he into the web; etc. If not you could try and organise some DVD's, etc for him.

That’s exactly what is happening, I tried to talk to a friend how I was struggling and was told to cop myself on and stop being a wuss. That’s why I hate all those ads around mental health, talk to someone, anytime I’ve ever tried to talk to someone, nobody wants to know.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

I’d advise that but what I find great is magnesium.
    Put it in a glass about 1/2 hours before bed and you you should have a great sleep.
    Also you should be exercising daily/fresh air

Bowlardo wrote: »
    I’d advise that but what I find great is magnesium.
    Put it in a glass about 1/2 hours before bed and you you should have a great sleep.
    Also you should be exercising daily/fresh air

Thanks, I’ve been told about magnesium, I’ll try to get it next time I get to Boots.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭speckle

never_mind wrote: »
    Hi everyone,

Don’t think I’ve seen a thread like this yet.

Just got off the phone to my Father who lives alone in rural ireland. He usually sees his friends during the day and has been relatively happy until this happened. He’s 61 and a widower and is lost without his circle of friends. He was crying today. I haven’t seen him cry in years. I’m beginning to see the toll these restrictions are having on me and more importantly on him.

I call him twice a day and have tried my best to figure out ways to get him through this. How is everyone else coping mentally? Anyone else have a parent in a similar situation? How are you managing it?

I don’t want this thread to turn into a debate about restrictions but about useful advice to support older people and the vulnerable who are now even more isolated due to this.

what county does he live in. our county council has got together with local agencies and volunteers from order of malta alone Vdp etc. to keep health and safety standards upfor delievers etc.
    they have a freephone number.
    You might be able to ring for advice or set up one of their volunteers to talk to him from the other side of a window or the gate. maybe organise the postman or neighbours who are out on a trip to the shop or 2km excerciseto beep as they go by or talk out of their car windows to him at a distance.
    alone the charity has set up a helpline for seniors
    Are his friends self isolating also due to health or age? maybe one or two arent? and as they are passing by can stop at a wall or gate and talk through a window or he can stay at the door.
    maybe he is missing the local pub or mart? Does he have farm worries? Ask the local Ifa/gaa/neighbours for help there. rember to sanitise gates if using them. maybe he is worried re finances, no mass, his will, his funeral, his mortality.
    maybe he is worried about you.
    reinforce that stayin in is very important but not forever. that even older and vunerable people are surviving eg. a man of c102 and woman of 106 in Italy. there was a man in his 80s in ireland on tv too. these as sad as the numbers of deaths are, are not isolated cases.
    we had all the tough conversations a little bit at a time with our older relatives so not to over whelm them. then asked them what they were finding most difficult and organised, all be it not a perfect plan b with them. some asked to be rung everyday some just once or twice a week as usual. some skpye some dont. some have just learnt too. some have started rosary chain phonecall trees. maybe the local priest can phone him.
    they find cleaning of messages hardest and the lack of a relaxed face to face interaction and not going for a short walk.
    trying to keep a routine has helped.
    some are reading free books online some we post to then they quareenteen books letters for two days then read. Some older folk cant read at all.
    If you are very worried re his mental health ring his Gp for advise.
    then ourselves... we need to keep our own energy topped up. ie take care of the carers.
    realise that all emotions are accepatble for this great change but temporary situation in our lifetime.
    listening to our parents cry maybe for the first time ever can be one of the hardest things to do.
    we have come through that here and now we joke about ' the virus thingy'.
    my heart goes out to you in theses times. big hug
    apologies re grammer spelling on a very small screen here.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,666 ✭✭✭Worztron

Some useful ideas here

Hi FA. What does DBT stand for?

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

Worztron wrote: »
    Hi FA. What does DBT stand for?

Dialectical Behavioral Therapy. It's worth having a Google, I've found it very practical and helpful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,666 ✭✭✭Worztron

Dialectical Behavioral Therapy. It's worth having a Google, I've found it very practical and helpful.

Cheers, Foweva Awone.

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

Advertisement