Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Wits end re icloud and iphone and cloud in general

• 21-10-2018 12:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭

I'm not sure if this forum is aimed at consumer electronics stuff so apologies if I'm in the wrong place

hqdefault.jpg

This image pretty much sums up my view of my iphone/ icloud/ itunes/ PC/ Dropbox situation. I don't know whether I'm coming or going with it.

I keep hearing little tidbits here and there but I can't get everything to jive and my phone and icloud are giving me warnings about my icloud and iphone storage being full.

My perspective is this;

- I mainly use my phone for photos, music and doodling on a couple of the usual apps - I really only give a fudge about using my phone for music and occasional access to photos.

- I understand that icloud stores the full size version of photos and a preview thumbnail appears until you click on the thumbnail and it downloads the full pic again

- I was told by someone who is a tech geek and Apple fanboy that their partner, who was working with Apple in tech support had told them that it's impossible to restore photos from iCloud - this seems insane if true.

- I'm getting warnings now that both my iClouds and iPhone storage are full and every time I try to resolve this, I just become confused and frustrated and am afraid of losing my photos

- I'm concerned that I have everything backed up in duplicate and triplicate and that I'm going to just keep running out of storage for backups on backups on backups that are useless and wasteful of storage space I'm going to be paying for and ultimately causing confusion if I ever do have difficulties or if I change device etc

- I'm concerned about how my PC interacts with my phone and iCloud. Every time I connect my phone to my PC I get asked a litany of questions relating to downloading and restoring. Am I not then backing everything up to my PC and also to iCloud thus eating valuable space and slowing down my devices?

- I have very slow wifi so updates and backups are a pain in general - the 3G signal ain't much better where I live but in my general life, there's no real lack.

- Can I not seem to figure out how to have music on my phone that doesn't depend on my pitiful wifi connection. The music is competing with photos for space and losing.

I know this is a ramble. Please, if someone could explain how all these elements (iphone/ iCloud/ my PC) work together as if I were a particularly slow child, I'd appreciate it. I just want occasional access to historic photos (like I would if I just used dropbox via the web) and access to music offline... all without facing a constant barrage of options/ settings/ requests/ permissions which ultimately eat my time, my bandwidth my storage space and basically my precious sanity.

Advertisement