Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What Are You Reading?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Looking For Alaska-John Green.

Pleasant so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

Jonathan Wilson's Inverting the Pyramid. Meant to be amazing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 862 ✭✭✭cautioner

A short history of nearly everything-Bill Bryson.
    Its heavy going at times but absolutely fascinating!

YES. I've read this at least 4 times in as many years. Mind blowing.

Couple on the go at the mo:

Mr. S and the Secrets of Andorra's Box - Ross 'O Carroll Kelly. Everything I'd expect so far. Brainless laugh.

Q&A - Forget Author. Only read one chapter but I have a feeling I'm going to be fairly engrossed in this one once I get into it.

Lined up: Animal Farm.

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭banjopaul

cautioner wrote: »
    Q&A - Forget Author.
    Vikas Swarup, remembered that without googling too! Thats what working in a book shop does to ya!:D
    Lined up: Animal Farm.
    Good choice, I love Orwell, read 1984 too if you haven't already!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

I've read Nineteen Eighty Four and it was good but I was a little underwhelmed.
    But then again since it has so much acclaim and hype my expectations may have been a bit too high.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭giggsy664

At the moment, Playstation The official magazine January 09 Issue.

Or the subtitles of Call of Duty: World at War, Fallout 3 or speech bubbles in LittleBigPlanet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭ohthebaby

Michael Collins, the autobiography by Tim Pat Coogan! Absolutely fascinating.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,465 ✭✭✭highlydebased

For some lighthearted humour, 'For Crying out loud' - Jeremy Clarkson

also reading The Key to Midnight by Dean Koontz, havnt picked it up in a few days though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 428 ✭✭Selphie

Mr. S and the Secrets of Andorra's Box - Ross 'O Carroll Kelly. Everything I'd expect so far. Brainless laugh.

Got this for Christmas..so funny. Back to loads of reading now that it's Christmas holidays... Moving onto Breaking Dawn of the twilight saga :D

I actually thought the Life of Pi was boring....the bit with the tiger in the boat just went on for, literally, the whole book. I kept waiting for the plot to continue only to discover..it didn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 862 ✭✭✭cautioner

Selphie wrote: »
    Got this for Christmas..so funny. Back to loads of reading now that it's Christmas holidays... Moving onto Breaking Dawn of the twilight saga :D

I actually thought the Life of Pi was boring....the bit with the tiger in the boat just went on for, literally, the whole book. I kept waiting for the plot to continue only to discover..it didn't.

:( My sympathies...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Ross O'Carroll-Kelly is, like, a ledge, and we are talking TOTALLY, roysh?! :D

I bought Dante's Inferno today. Really looking forward to reading it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

Yeah got it aswell, was meaning to make a start on it last night but then i watched the first 4 episodes of The Wire last night and bloody hell its brilliant

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭Captain-America

Reading Watchmen myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 970 ✭✭✭Kirnsy

the broker - john grisham. quality author imo

• Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Pyr0

Just starting " The Flight of the Einstein". Warhammer 40k novel :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Just bought "The Book of Dave" today, gonna start it tomorrow. I haven't read a novel in so long!

That the Will Self one?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Yeah, it's pretty crazy to read so far, It's sort of written in futuristic cockney, but everything's spelled phonetically.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

just finished "Surf's Up - A girl's guide to surfing". pretty good. takes the time to break **** down that guys'll never ask. also referred to 'the time of month' as 'shark week', which, a week after reading it, is still amusing me :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭lou91

American Psycho by Bret Easton Ellis.
    The clothes descriptions keep reminding me of the Ross O Carroll Kelly books, which couldn't be more different to this. I'm realising how broad the term "comedy" is...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,378 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

im just about to start the matchbreaker by chris manby

i feel enjoy reading fluff:P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭MysticalSoul

Kama Sutra by Deeprak Chopra. Is inspiring :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭marti101

The chinese menu

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Just finished Looking for Alaska..............Need more John Green :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭ Veda Muscular Weaponry

If not now, when? by Primo Levi, and dipping in and out of a pretty hefty American short story anthology. College starts again on Monday though, so it'll be back to skimming through stuff a bit more academic than that (kind of :) and kind of :() and reading heat magazine when my brain stops working.

Oh, and the Mighty Book of Boosh :D

• Registered Users Posts: 21,098 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Just reading No One Knows!!!-The QotSA story by Joel McIvor. Ah tis all good as it is about something I really like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭Shacklebolt

American Psycho by Bret Easton Ellis.
    The clothes descriptions keep reminding me of the Ross O Carroll Kelly books, which couldn't be more different to this. I'm realising how broad the term "comedy" is...

Paul Howard was referencing to American Psycho.

Paul Howard was referencing to American Psycho.

Indeed. Tis meant to give you an insight into a shallow mind. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭EmoMatt15

The Liar by Stephen Fry
    I like Stephen Fry but oh how this book hurts my head

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭adagio

I have a strong tendency to read half book and forget about it. Currently lying half-read around my house are Bram Stoker's Dracula, Dante's Inferno and Upton Sinclair's Oil!. I rarely find time to read these days because I figure if I have time to read, why not make it a textbook and ease the study load. Still, I am determined to finish Oil! over the Xmas hols and get started on Les Miserables next year.

Hey, what the hell are you doing sharing my life and eccentricities?
    I too have a multitude of 1/2 read books.
    Hemingway's 'Death in the Afternoon' = to repetitive and the device he uses to keep us entertained (the conversations w/the old lady) becomes boring. He has fallen between writing a book about bull fighting history and witty anecdotes. Disappointing.
    Jamie Whyte's 'Bad Thoughts - a guide to clear thinking.' = well worth reading even if you disagree w/the observations. More rational and logical thought please!
    David Attenborough's 'The First Eden.' = only a few pages in!!!
    Rebecca West's 'Black Lamb and Grey Falcon - a journey through Yugoslavia.' = I read this book years ago and damn it's amazing. So I purchased it recently and starting again. Please read this book.
    Finally - A.F Chalmers (second edition) 'What is this thing called Science.' = a discourse on the scientific methods and philosophy - so far it's interesting. I'm currently studying science w/the OU.
    I would recommend a book by David A. Akaret 'The man who loved a Polar Bear.' = it's about a NY psychiatrist who at the end of his career is in a reflective mood and decides to visit some of his more extravagant patients to see if his work had any effect. A very light fascinating read.
    Nerd for life.;):pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:

Advertisement