Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Are we there yet? Your second Travel Megathread (threadbans in OP}

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Golfman64

https://simpleflying.com/united-european-expansion-summer-2021/

Other EU countries beginning to leave us for dust in terms of a progressive and forward thinking reopening of travel for the busy summer season.

Meanwhile another lost summer of revenue is likely in Ireland combined with Americans discovering there may be better places to travel.

Depressing to see so many industries and cultures we have built over many years destroyed by a regressive and backward thinking government.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,924 ✭✭✭normanoffside

Micky 32 wrote: »
    Dual ;)

In that case you can just flash your US passport at the Airport and the Gards can't fine you for going anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,632 ✭✭✭✭josip

Golfman64 wrote: »
    https://simpleflying.com/united-european-expansion-summer-2021/

Other EU countries beginning to leave us for dust in terms of a progressive and forward thinking reopening of travel for the busy summer season.

Meanwhile another lost summer of revenue is likely in Ireland combined with Americans discovering there may be better places to travel.

Depressing to see so many industries and cultures we have built over many years destroyed by a regressive and backward thinking government.

We could do with a 21st century Sean Lemass.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

In that case you can just flash your US passport at the Airport and the Gards can't fine you for going anywhere.

True, but i wouldn’t travel unless i’m fully vaccinated. I’d be looking late in the year before i’d be thinking about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,030 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

I’m watching the numbers for MAKKAH with interest, no one is allowed go to Makkah city unless they have a negative PCR and at least one vaccination. It’s the holy month of Ramadan so the visiting numbers are increasing. International religious visitors need to do 3 days quarantine prior to entering the city.

This to me is a great test, if their numbers remain under control, we can probably expect more countries to open up using the same philosophy.

550731.jpeg

The numbers above are shown for provinces.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭dan786

India variant will be rampant in UK soon, 182 cases already and several thousands coming in over next few days to avoid MHQ.

Ireland as usual will be a week or two behind so I am sure those who cant make it to UK by Friday will come to Ireland first and stay here for 10 days before going to UK.

A friend of mine came from Pakistan last week, that was added to Irish list from 15th and half the flight was passengers who were going onto UK after staying in Ireland for 10 days so not too long the variant is spread here also which will no doubt further delay the slow progression here in Ireland.

Glynn’s stance on vaccinated people:

“”In relation to mandatory hotel quarantine, Dr Glynn said it is his view that vaccination should be seen as "an exemption from all of the other measures".

If people are fully vaccinated, he said, it is reasonable that they would quarantine at home.“”

Realistically will house arrest be a permanent fixture in life going forward or does anyone on here think that will be temporary without any doubts?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,737 ✭✭✭saabsaab

dan786 wrote: »
    India variant will be rampant in UK soon, 182 cases already and several thousands coming in over next few days to avoid MHQ.

Ireland as usual will be a week or two behind so I am sure those who cant make it to UK by Friday will come to Ireland first and stay here for 10 days before going to UK.

A friend of mine came from Pakistan last week, that was added to Irish list from 15th and half the flight was passengers who were going onto UK after staying in Ireland for 10 days so not too long the variant is spread here also which will no doubt further delay the slow progression here in Ireland.

We need to act now!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

“”In relation to mandatory hotel quarantine, Dr Glynn said it is his view that vaccination should be seen as "an exemption from all of the other measures".

If people are fully vaccinated, he said, it is reasonable that they would quarantine at home.“”
    Very reasonable. The Government shouldn't be indulging the "won't someone think of the variants" worriers by imposing excessive restrictions. You can see them already above whipping up fear about an Indian variant which isn't even a VOC and unlikely to become one. We've had people all last year shouting for parks and playgrounds to be closed, and the research now emerging shows these were some of the safest places for people to be.

Fear (and pandering to it by parties like SF) is not an excuse for implementing restrictions.

hmmm wrote: »
    Very reasonable. The Government shouldn't be indulging the "won't someone think of the variants" worriers by imposing excessive restrictions. You can see them already above whipping up fear about an Indian variant which isn't even a VOC and unlikely to become one. We've had people all last year shouting for parks and playgrounds to be closed, and the research now emerging shows these were some of the safest places for people to be.

Fear (and pandering to it by parties like SF) is not an excuse for implementing restrictions.

In your opinion how long do you think they will enforce house arrest for the vaccinated?

• Advertisement

It's not excessive if it keeps new variants out.

In your opinion how long do you think they will enforce house arrest for the vaccinated?
    I don't know, what do Israel do? Whatever they do is likely to be our future.

I notice Israel has brought in electronic tagging for home quarantine. A bit invasive, but better than the alternative.

saabsaab wrote: »
    It's not excessive if it keeps new variants out.
    https://twitter.com/higginsdavidw/status/1384204843233943555

I don't know, what do Israel do? Whatever they do is likely to be our future.

I notice Israel has brought in electronic tagging for home quarantine. A bit invasive, but better than the alternative.

I see that Australia and NZ launched their travel bubble. France in talks with the USA about a vaccinated travel bubble too.

I hope he is right but he also said..

'
    Small number of super-spreader events could leave Ireland ‘in trouble’

The acting chief medical officer, Dr Ronan Glynn, said uncertainties over coronavirus variants remained, despite the country’s current good position.'

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Mr. Karate

And just think you’ll be able to choose from Las Vegas, the rockies, Grand Canyon, Florida, Niagra Falls, route 66 and because we are good boys and girls we might be allowed go to Strand Hill on a wet miserable day.

Definitely alot of places to visit if/when I go back. Meanwhile here we're supposed to be grateful that we can walk to the end of the street.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Mr. Karate

Glynn’s stance on vaccinated people:

Realistically will house arrest be a permanent fixture in life going forward or does anyone on here think that will be temporary without any doubts?

Their phrasings definitely indicate that they intend to keep this going for as long as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

Lumen wrote: »
    Denmark, apparently.

"The tax is 105% of the first DKK 81,700 and 150% of the rest", on top of 25% VAT.

Username irony much? :pac:

i see you cant tell the difference between Copenhagen.

so Denmark is worst, we're second. Denmark known for its car scene and imports...

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭eltonyio

I hope he is right but he also said..

'
    Small number of super-spreader events could leave Ireland ‘in trouble’

The acting chief medical officer, Dr Ronan Glynn, said uncertainties over coronavirus variants remained, despite the country’s current good position.'

But didn't the minister say that previous predictions about where we would be today were wrong? Hasn't Micheal Martin made several doomsday predictions which didn't come to pass? Are the variants all as bad as originally suggested by the media?

My point is, perhaps pay less attention to what they say (and the snippets which grab headlines), and more interest to the data they publish and also what other more progressive and organised countries are doing.

Covid is not going away and variants will be around for some time. Internment? Not so much.

eltonyio wrote: »
    But didn't the minister say that previous predictions about where we would be today were wrong? Hasn't Micheal Martin made several doomsday predictions which didn't come to pass? Are the variants all as bad as originally suggested by the media?

My point is, perhaps pay less attention to what they say (and the snippets which grab headlines), and more interest to the data they publish and also what other more progressive and organised countries are doing.

Covid is not going away and variants will be around for some time. Internment? Not so much.

What doomsday predictions? The MHQ is needed now and I agree won't be permanent.

• Advertisement

How long do you think it should last so? Until the engineer misses the map with his darts?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

What doomsday predictions? The MHQ is needed now and I agree won't be permanent.

It's window dressing and you know it, MHD in April 2021? About a year too late to make any difference and is only to appease the ISAG...

But I admire your belief that MHD is a Silver bullet against Covid.

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    It's window dressing and you know it, MHD in April 2021? About a year too late to make any difference and is only to appease the ISAG...

But I admire your belief that MHD is a Silver bullet against Covid.

No doomsday predictions so? Not at all. There is no silver bullet, the vaccines are the best hope but we have to get them out there first.

No doomsday predictions so? Not at all. There is no silver bullet, the vaccines are the best hope but we have to get them out there first.

Scrap MHD so? We agree..

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,579 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

We need to act now!

No we don't - we need to remove this shambles that is MHQ before we have no economy left.

These variants aren't the big scary covid monsters that Nphet is making out they are.
    They are mostly dealt with by the current vaccines-even the south African variant which doesn't seem to spread that effectively through populations so what the SA variant has done is reduced the vaccines potency but lost its ability to spread.
    The vaccines are 95-100% effective against other variants.

In effect we don't need to be scared ****less about these variants.

https://www.advisory.com/daily-briefing/2021/04/16/variants-vaccines

Hellrazer wrote: »
    These variants aren't the big scary covid monsters that Nphet is making out they are.
    They are mostly dealt with by the current vaccines-even the south African variant which doesn't seem to spread that effectively through populations so what the SA variant has done is reduced the vaccines potency but lost its ability to spread.

These big scary variants are just a way to keep the anxiety and fear levels high, watch as we come into the summer and cases are down to 100 or less, deaths are zero like today, there's gonna be no talk of variants... which the immune system can deal with anyways... after all it's the same virus!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,924 ✭✭✭normanoffside

Hellrazer wrote: »
    No we don't - we need to remove this shambles that is MHQ before we have no economy left.

https://www.advisory.com/daily-briefing/2021/04/16/variants-vaccines

Even Ronan Glynn agrees with you.

https://twitter.com/mariaflan/status/1384192751504302083

‘Serious human rights difficulties’ identified with hotel quarantine system by ICCL (via @IrishTimes) https://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/serious-human-rights-difficulties-identified-with-hotel-quarantine-system-by-iccl-1.4541770

I hope the irony of it all is not lost on anyone. Sinn Fein, long advocates of freedom, have utilised FF as their populist puppet plaything to impose hotel detention on several EU countries. This is all while maintaining no mhq in Northern Ireland for EU countries. Of course they would also be the first to resist cross border checks if suggested, the key mechanism used to bypass quarantine.

A bumper summer beckons for taxi drivers and Belfast international.

eltonyio wrote: »
    ‘Serious human rights difficulties’ identified with hotel quarantine system by ICCL (via @IrishTimes) https://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/serious-human-rights-difficulties-identified-with-hotel-quarantine-system-by-iccl-1.4541770

I hope the irony of it all is not lost on anyone. Sinn Fein, long advocates of freedom, have utilised FF as their populist puppet plaything to impose hotel detention on several EU countries. This is all while maintaining no mhq in Northern Ireland for EU countries. Of course they would also be the first to resist cross border checks if suggested, the key mechanism used to bypass quarantine.

A bumper summer beckons for taxi drivers and Belfast international.

Has it passed you by that NI is bringing in MHQ?

• Advertisement

Has it passed you by that NI is bringing in MHQ?

For EU countries? Really? They couldn't be that backwards!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement