Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

United Ireland Poll - please vote

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

See this is what p1ss's me off about this forum. If you don't comply to your thinking your put down or dismissed. Personally I don't give a rats but if you can't take a person's point of view on an online chat God help us all when thing get serious in a referendum. Whats next..... knee capings and public feathering. Christ above is right.

What pisses me off is partitionists being deliberately obtuse.

You could just leave it and say "yes, the DUP are a bunch of homophobic, creationist, bigoted shítheads", but you have to go on and on to be seen to be equally critical of Sinn Féin as well.

It's utterly warped.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭drdidlittle

You could just leave it and say "yes, the DUP are a bunch of homophobic, creationist, bigoted shítheads", but you have to go on and an on to be seen to be equally critical of Sinn Féin as well.

It's utterly warped.

Why would I pick one side and leave other side out...May not be same items you noted but equally so. Reread the definition of bigot please

Why would I pick one side and leave other side out...May not be same items you noted but equally so. Reread the definition of bigot please

You would pick one side because it was them that were being discussed; here's the original post I responded to:
    6 wrote: »
    Is the DUPs stance on gay people based on religion or what's their story? Incredibly backward stuff. Don't they have gay members in their party?

They'll need to get their house in order quick and align with the times.

You then got your knickers twisted and couldn't wait to get about knocking Sinn Féin for some reason. Even though 6 was talking about the DUP.

---

Are you really trying to tell us all on here that the DUP isn't lit with bigots and that everyone is at it?

Partitionists are warped.

Are you trying to tell us all on here that the DUP isn't lit with bigots?

Partitionists are warped.

Total opposite. I'm saying there are bigots on both sides

No one was saying otherwise. There's bigots everywhere.

I have beefed up that post, so perhaps respond to it in totality.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 66,835 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

'Both sides' do not have bigoted policy.

There are incidences of bigotry, sectarianism and homophobia is all sections of society and politics on this island as well as the rest of the world.

The difference with Unionism is that it is bigoted, homophobic and sectarian in official party policy. One of the main reasons there was a conflict/war in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,051 ✭✭✭✭downcow

'Both sides' do not have bigoted policy.

There are incidences of bigotry, sectarianism and homophobia is all sections of society and politics on this island as well as the rest of the world.

The difference with Unionism is that it is bigoted, homophobic and sectarian in official party policy. One of the main reasons there was a conflict/war in the first place.

I hope that is a typo and you don’t mean ‘unionism’?

No one was saying otherwise.

I have beefed up that post perhaps respond to it in totality.

To use your phrase..... Christ above

I'm trying to show you that bigots exist on both sides. Where I did I call out one side or the other. Your jumping on the attack to suit your agenda.

downcow wrote: »
    I hope that is a typo and you don’t mean ‘unionism’?

I do mean 'unionist', the UUP are against equality legislation and vote against the rights women and men have everywhere else on these islands on religious grounds.

I do mean 'unionist', the UUP are against equality legislation and vote against the rights women and men have everywhere else on these islands on religious grounds.

Wise up!
    Do you include alliance as well?

• Advertisement

Wise up!
    Do you include alliance as well?

Alliance includes unionists in it's ranks.

To use your phrase..... Christ above

I'm trying to show you that bigots exist on both sides. Where I did I call out one side or the other. Your jumping on the attack to suit your agenda.

What are you on about?

The post I responded to was about the DUP, no one else. It was solely related to the DUP.

And then you come in with your "Well ACKSHUALLY Sinn Féin have bigots too harr harr harr"

It is such a bizarre way to live.

I mean, while you're at it why not call out the Khmer Rouge, the Whigs, the Roundheads and the SDP. They have as much to do with that post about the DUP as Sinn Féin did.

What are you on about?

The post I responded to was about the DUP, no one else. It was solely related to the DUP.

And then you come in with your "Well ACKSHUALLY Sinn Féin have bigots too harr harr harr"

It is such a bizarre way to live.

I mean, while you're at it why not call out the Khmer Rouge, the Whigs, the Roundheads and the SDP. They have as much to do with that post about the DUP as Sinn Féin did.

Moving on.

Moving on.

Moving on? Absolutely scundered.

Moving on? Absolutely scundered.

Like arguing with the wind. You say I'm stating one thing and I point out the opposite. No point

Like arguing with the wind. You say I'm stating one thing and I point out the opposite. No point

This is gas.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,626 ✭✭✭eire4

You could just leave it and say "yes, the DUP are a bunch of homophobic, creationist, bigoted shítheads", but you have to go on and on to be seen to be equally critical of Sinn Féin as well.

It's utterly warped.

A lot of classic whataboutery involved really.

eire4 wrote: »
    A lot of classic whataboutery involved really.

And then they get annoyed and go off in a huff because we're not buying their whataboutery.

It's debating for 4th class.

Anyway, it's Monday again, so we'll be back to this week's circular argument soon enough.

I wonder what it will start with this time?

It never ceases to make me smile, the holier than thou attitude of some in the south.
    I quite like Michael D, but he is on our radio this morning saying about the terrible thing that segregated education based on faith is in in NI. Lol.
    I agree 100% with him, but does he not know that there is a far greater level of segregated education based on faith in his own country?

It would be a bit like Arlene coming on RTÉ after a street disturbance in Dublin and saying that the level of rioting in Roi is terrible.

Some southerners really do need to take the beam out of their own eye.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭eleventh

It never ceases to make me smile, the holier than thou attitude of some in the south.
    I quite like Michael D, but he is on our radio this morning saying about the terrible thing that segregated education based on faith is in in NI. Lol.
    I agree 100% with him, but does he not know that there is a far greater level of segregated education based on faith in his own country?

It would be a bit like Arlene coming on RTÉ after a street disturbance in Dublin and saying that the level of rioting in Roi is terrible.

Some southerners really do need to take the beam out of their own eye.
    There's no state or province called 'the south' in Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,178 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

It's utterly warped.

You can't call people partitionists and then expect them not to care only about the political party seeking votes in this jurisdiction.

It's called having it both ways. If I am seen as a partitionist (not true) and also seen as only critical of Sinn Fein (not true), at least that view of me is consistent. Complaining about it when you hold those views isn't consistent.

eleventh wrote: »
    There's no state or province called 'the south' in Ireland.

Nor ‘The North’

But I’ll not get annoyed about your pet names. You’ll live a longer happier life if you don’t get wound up about tiny silly pedantic stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 27,178 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/northern-ireland/johnson-vows-to-address-ludicrous-protocol-trade-barriers-as-he-rules-out-irish-unity-referendum-for-a-very-very-long-time-to-come-40332830.html

"On the issue of a border poll, he says he doesn't believe it should take place for "a very, very long time to come", and says he prefers for the people of the UK to think of what they can do together instead of pulling apart."

Interesting, ties in with the public view that a united Ireland won't happen for a long time.

blanch152 wrote: »
    https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/northern-ireland/johnson-vows-to-address-ludicrous-protocol-trade-barriers-as-he-rules-out-irish-unity-referendum-for-a-very-very-long-time-to-come-40332830.html

"On the issue of a border poll, he says he doesn't believe it should take place for "a very, very long time to come", and says he prefers for the people of the UK to think of what they can do together instead of pulling apart."

Interesting, ties in with the public view that a united Ireland won't happen for a long time.

Says the man who 'damaged the very fabric of that Union' in a heartbeat after saying this. :):)
    "We would be damaging the fabric of the Union with regulatory checks and even customs controls between Great Britain and Northern Ireland on top of those extra regulatory checks down the Irish Sea that are already envisaged in the withdrawal agreement," said Mr. Johnson.]]

Can you show any data for your contention on the 'public view'?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,216 ✭✭✭jh79

Can you show any data for your contention on the 'public view'?

Should find out tonight with the opinion polls done for the show. Will be interesting to see the effect of the protocol on the numbers.

jh79 wrote: »
    Should find out tonight with the opinion polls done for the show. Will be interesting to see the effect of the protocol on the numbers.

Yes, if the public are asked when they think a UI will happen.

Any polling I have seen recently says a majority in NI think it will be within 10 years. That's why I would be interested to see where blanch got his info
    It also found that Northern Irish voters by a margin of 48 per cent to 44 per cent think there will be a united Ireland within 10 years.

With a majority seeing the Border Poll in 5 years. A 'long long time'? :)

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/poll-finds-majority-favours-holding-a-border-poll-in-next-five-years-1.4466826

• Registered Users Posts: 17,651 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

It's utterly warped.

Or the reason people don't want a UI is because they see both sides as being nearly as bad as each other when it comes to violence, political intransigence and one ups manship.....?

Also can you honestly say you've never countered any criticism of Sinn Fein with whataboutery about the DUP et al?

Literally the recent history of issues in NI basically comes down to people pointing fingers at each other and saying "well we did that cus you did this" in a never ending circle of blame going back decades

Stones in glass houses......

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

VinLieger wrote: »
    Or the reason people don't want a UI is because they see both sides as being nearly as bad as each other when it comes to violence, political intransigence and one ups manship.....?

The minute there's a border poll you will have to choose which 'side' you're on. You will need to decide if you want to stand with the DUP/UUP/UVF and partitionists or those who want to see our country united.

Tbh if it wasn't such a serious issue it would be hilarious to see the collection of oddballs and malcontents that would ally themselves with the likes of Gregory Campbell, Ian Paisley and Seamus Bryson.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,651 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

The minute there's a border poll you will have to choose which 'side' you're on. You will need to decide if you want to stand with the DUP/UUP/UVF and partitionists or those who want to see our country united.

Ohh look as usual when irish nationalists get involved everything becomes black and white again, voting no does not mean you are with the DUP et al as there numerous reasons to vote no.

• Advertisement

VinLieger wrote: »
    Ohh look as usual when irish nationalists get involved everything becomes black and white again, voting no does not mean you are with the DUP et al as there numerous reasons to vote no.

You are tacitly on their 'side' though, if you are going to point fingers at sides.

Advertisement