Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Feeding the over 65's

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,050 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Stating that it is a link dump doesn't stop it from being a link dump Olddog. Its a discussion forum, where is the discussion? Can we have an opinion or comment from you.

Having read it, my comment is...well yes, and? It does seem to be stating the obvious but probably is needed for administrative purposes in hospitals and institutions etc. Though hospital food would be unlikely to sustain anyone a lot of the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭Jellybaby_1

I thought there was going to be food suggestions or recipes but there wasn't. I know what I need for my health, and I apply as much of the good advice as I can, plenty of water, no booze, no cigs, loads of fruit and veg, some meat and fish, plenty of fresh air and hill walks. I get a blood check every year. Not a lot more I can do really. In fact, I'm a walking saint! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭0lddog

looksee wrote: »
    ...Can we have an opinion or comment from you....
    Quite enough uninformed prejudice masquerading as discussion on the site without me adding to it.
    It does seem to be a very substantial report, hopefull some here will find it of interest
    Meanwhile, I shall continue to avoid drinking strong tea with a main meal and also shun low sodium salt substitutes
    looksee wrote: »
    ...Having read it, my comment is.....
    You must be the sort that rips through a couple of thrillers a day then ? :)
    Wish I was able to do that instead of the fairly strong dyslexic tendencies that I try to steer around. It would take me a couple of days to read and partially understand the 140 odd pages of that report :(

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Last times I have been in hospital the food was very good.

As long as they raise the pension to make their ideas possible..

NB I don;t drink tea so no issue there..

• Registered Users Posts: 10,433 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

I finally got through reading it all (twice) and, to be honest, there's not much new in it. I think most of us know what we need or don't need, at this stage of our lives. I'm well aware of the issue with free sugars but I'm allowing some indulgences as a compensation for aging.
    I'm delighted it has reaffirmed my belief in the benefits of meat, eggs and dairy.

Thanks for the link as I heard a piece about this on the radio yesterday and expected something in today's newspaper but there was nothing about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭Jellybaby_1

I have introduced several veggie meals during the week for quite a few years now and I do feel the benefits, I'm feeling lighter and move more easily, and dropped a few lbs. I still keep a few days a week for meat and fish. I also reduced my portions to half and I really don't feel hungry at all. I feel it is important to treat myself now and again so I haven't excluded some sweetie treats now and again, but not often as I have a bit of a sugar addiction but I'm on top of that at the moment. As Jim_Hodge said, we know what is good for us at this stage. I'd like to die healthy and ancient. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

I have an ongoing fascination with teh Blue Zones (Places on earth where there are far more than a usual number of centenarians) and you know what?
    Most of them don't eat very much meat at all. More likely stuff like beans, grains, fish.
    So I dunno how well confirmed these pious aspirations are.

Day Lewin wrote: »
    I have an ongoing fascination with teh Blue Zones (Places on earth where there are far more than a usual number of centenarians) and you know what?
    Most of them don't eat very much meat at all. More likely stuff like beans, grains, fish.

Fascinating. Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,433 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Day Lewin wrote: »

I was reading about this recently and it goes way beyond diet. A sense of community and religious beliefs seems to play a large part too. Blue Zone communities have a life purpose, known as “ikigai” or “plan de vida” while older and younger people live together and care for each other. They also seem to get much more exercise than most and get more sleep than most other societies. Genetics seems to be just 25 to 30% of the equation.
    They eat in moderation - which our own grannies also advocated.

I suppose it's a whole range of lifestyle issues with no one silver bullet.

Esoteric but nonetheless fascinating ideas; connected with something I am working on long term

• Advertisement
Advertisement