Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Do I need a WiFi password if I have no neighbours?

Options
  • 18-04-2021 1:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    Is it necessary to have a wifi password if your house is isolated from neighbours and public roads? I realise it’s not a big deal to change the password to something easy to remember but there’s nobody in range of the router except our own household. Is it okay to turn off security on the router?
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,243 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Potentially someone you don't want using your IP address will use it, whether that is a teenager, visitor or someone more nefarious.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,329 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

If it's ok to leave your house door unlocked, then it's ok to leave your WiFi without passwords.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,162 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

You wouldn't download a car

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭il gatto

Victor wrote: »
    Potentially someone you don't want using your IP address will use it, whether that is a teenager, visitor or someone more nefarious.

But is that a case of someone hacking via the internet or physically sitting outside the house and logging on? There’s no hope of anyone being in range of the router and going unnoticed. Does having the password switched off have ramifications for your IP address over the internet?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,527 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

il gatto wrote: »
    Is it okay to turn off security on the router?

In theory yes, but setting up the passwords only take moments, so why not ?
    Does having the password switched off have ramifications for your IP address over the internet?

Nope.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Bikerman2019

Set a password, even something simple. Basic security is easily done and takes seconds.

If there's no hope of anyone being near your house, and you're not a target for some type of information, then you don't need it.

Someone would have to physically be there to join the network to do harm.

In theory yes, but setting up the passwords only take moments, so why not ?

I will probably do that but I was just wondering if leaving it off had any ramifications beyond someone hiding in your garden and connecting to your router.
    We’re 300m from the road up a private lane and over 200m from the nearest house. Our WiFi range doesn’t reach the end of our garden. So it’s practically impossible for anyone to use our connection unnoticed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭DopeTech

There's really no reason not too. Yes you will need to input the password into all your devices once but after that you can forget about it. In theory anyone could walk or drive up to outside your house in any time of the day or night and connect to your local area network and connect to any devices on it. I.e if your laptop is switched on they can browse your files. No matter how unlikely it is someone would do it there's no real good reason not to do it and give you peace of mind.

DopeTech wrote: »
    There's really no reason not too. Yes you will need to input the password into all your devices once but after that you can forget about it. In theory anyone could walk or drive up to outside your house in any time of the day or night and connect to your local area network and connect to any devices on it. I.e if your laptop is switched on they can browse your files. No matter how unlikely it is someone would do it there's no real good reason not to do it and give you peace of mind.

Are you saying a hacker could do that? Or a regular person?

• Advertisement

Are you saying a hacker could do that? Or a regular person?

Anybody with basic IT knowledge provided he has network sharing on.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,403 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Anybody

Maybe if you shared your files with no password or never ran updates.

Yeah. I’ll just change it to something easier to remember for friends and visitors. Thanks.

Yeah. I’ll just change it to something easier to remember for friends and visitors. Thanks.

Yeah or even check your router. Most have a guest wifi function you can enable meaning guests can get wifi but not access to the devices on your network.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,527 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

We’re 300m from the road up a private lane and over 200m from the nearest house. Our WiFi range doesn’t reach the end of our garden. So it’s practically impossible for anyone to use our connection unnoticed.

Same here, unless we have WiFi enabled horses/cows/sheep in the fields next door

My router has an option for a Guest WiFi, less access that the normal wifi. Guess Wifi has internet access, but cannot access the router or other computers on the network.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,269 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Compromise; just make the password easy to tap in, like 88888888

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

It's probably unnecessary but do it anyway :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭dam099

Just because your regular devices don't see a signal at end of garden doesn't mean its non existent, the hackers that try and piggyback on Wi-Fi can get quite creative with antennas and may be able to get a useable signal where you cant.

That said if you are fairly remote unless you think someone has a reason to target you there are likely easier opportunities to get some free Wi-Fi.

Advertisement