Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What would be the approx. cost to do a "behind the walls/hidden" install

• 05-04-2021 3:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭

Didn't really want to open a new thread.
    What would be the approx. cost to do a "behind the walls/hidden" install of 8 - 10 cat6 cable run to central point in a 3 bed house?
    Cables, sockets supplied myself, just the work of running and crimping/fitting?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭Pete123456

Didn't really want to open a new thread.
    What would be the approx. cost to do a "behind the walls/hidden" install of 8 - 10 cat6 cable run to central point in a 3 bed house?
    Cables, sockets supplied myself, just the work of running and crimping/fitting?

From my own research it really depends on your exact situation. When you say “hidden”, it will be almost impossible to run cable within the wall without needing to cut the plasterboard and patch up afterward.

It also depends where in each room you want them run to. If it was just a socket in each room closest to your central point it would be quick, short and easy, but none of the sockets might be conveniently located.

Perhaps it would be easy to call plasterers and ask them for quotes of making good? If you’re considering running the cable and are already willing to buy the cable and sockets etc. Then I suggest getting a crimping tool, some cable rods and then running it yourself? Crimping is very straightforward if you YouTube it. Would also need a drill and stud finder.

It would mean planning out where you want your sockets or termination points and then dealing with the studs or noggins or whatever else is in the way. The amount of work would need to be factored into your planning. For example - can you get up to the attic easily? If so, this might make runs to the bedroom(s) easier using a long flexible drill bit for instance.

Advertisement