Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

14-03-2019, 21:31   #46
Snow Garden

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdanseo View Post
Nearest is Cardiff.

There is zero chance of any of the six nations games being cancelled barring a major outbreak of war or some unmitigated disaster. It would be like cancelling Christmas in Wales, they're on for a Grand Slam.
Millennium stadium has a retractable roof.
Advertisement
14-03-2019, 21:34   #47
Kermit.de.frog

On Saturday i'll be reporting live from Donegal...

14-03-2019, 21:37   #48
SleetAndSnow

Cork farms are literally going to be mini lakes, they are already so water logged when I drove down to my summer home last week before Gareth and all the rain before that, and now even more heavier rain.

Going to be a lot of floods I think since everything is already very waterlogged and the rivers are near their peak
Thanks from:
14-03-2019, 21:38   #49
downwiththatsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snow Garden View Post
Millennium stadium has a retractable roof.
Thought there was a Mexican standoff as to whether it would be closed or not? Wales didn't follow protocol and ask Ireland if they were ok with having it closed before they asked six nations hq. Not sure if the decision has been made yet one way or the other?
Looks cold either way this weekend and looking forward to things settling down next week as the rain looks very heavy.
14-03-2019, 21:57   #50
Snow Garden

Quote:
Originally Posted by downwiththatsor View Post
Thought there was a Mexican standoff as to whether it would be closed or not? Wales didn't follow protocol and ask Ireland if they were ok with having it closed before they asked six nations hq. Not sure if the decision has been made yet one way or the other?
Looks cold either way this weekend and looking forward to things settling down next week as the rain looks very heavy.
Yeah but if the weather is promised lousy, they will close it.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
14-03-2019, 22:02   #51
Snow Garden

Quote:
Originally Posted by SleetAndSnow View Post
Cork farms are literally going to be mini lakes, they are already so water logged when I drove down to my summer home last week before Gareth and all the rain before that, and now even more heavier rain.

Going to be a lot of floods I think since everything is already very waterlogged and the rivers are near their peak
Rivers are far from peak.

This is River Corrib directly fed from lake.

Well below median flood.

https://waterlevel.ie/0000030098/0001/
Thanks from:
14-03-2019, 22:10   #52
SleetAndSnow

Quote:

Well below median flood.

What I meant was, when I was driving down last week the river Bandon was after flooding all the fields surrounding it and would have gotten the town, so with the already heavily saturated ground, the water is just going to directly run into the rivers causing them to rise faster.
(3) thanks from:
14-03-2019, 22:10   #53
km79

Quote:

Well below median flood.

That’s in Galway
They are in cork
14-03-2019, 22:22   #54
Mortelaro

Quote:
What I meant was, when I was driving down last week the river Bandon was after flooding all the fields surrounding it and would have gotten the town, so with the already heavily saturated ground, the water is just going to directly run into the rivers causing them to rise faster.
That was probably flash flooding feeding into the rivers
If you had a weeks dry weather,you'd see the real level of the river
Its probably after picking up a good bit in my opinion but not near the peak of some previous years yet
Advertisement
14-03-2019, 22:25   #55
Snow Garden

Quote:
I used Corrib because it's a fast flowing river draining a massive wet catchment and is a very good indicator of water variations over time.

Bandon levels are here but the gauge does not seem to be sending data.
https://waterlevel.ie/0000020001/0001/

Take a look at Curranure just up the road from Bandon. The levels are reflective of what happened on Corrib and are well below median flood. It peaked on 6th March.
Here is the Curranure graph: https://waterlevel.ie/0000020002/0001/

I work in flood defences and we are in good shape this year. I am keeping a close eye on Athlone all the same (https://waterlevel.ie/0000026333/0001/)

Next week is promised settled again so we may see another peak and then back to normal for the time of year.

Last edited by Snow Garden; 14-03-2019 at 22:43.
(2) thanks from:
14-03-2019, 22:34   #56
Snow Garden

Quote:
Originally Posted by km79 View Post
That’s in Galway
They are in cork
Thanks for that info. We are a very small country when it comes to water levels, especially on the western seaboard.
14-03-2019, 23:55   #57
Pretzill

Why have a weather warning for just one county? It's very specific - will Derry not get a smattering or possibly north Sligo - I don't know why met eireann bothered with this at all (no offence to Donegal) but we are a small country how is this so pinpointed for a change
15-03-2019, 00:11   #58
Mortelaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretzill View Post
Why have a weather warning for just one county? It's very specific - will Derry not get a smattering or possibly north Sligo - I don't know why met eireann bothered with this at all (no offence to Donegal) but we are a small country how is this so pinpointed for a change
Obviously they only can issue warnings for the republic
Ever notice how NI counties are never ever mentioned verbally on TV or radio?
The models are only alluding to Donegal or parts of it reaching warning criteria
Interesting the meteogroup BBC weather graphics show white mostly over Donegal too
(2) thanks from:
15-03-2019, 01:43   #59
Charles Babbage

Partitioning the weather is one of the most ridiculous things that should be addressed when the Brexit bollix is settled.
15-03-2019, 10:37   #60
Oscar Bravo

Status Yellow - Rainfall warning for Connacht, Longford, Offaly, Westmeath, Cavan, Monaghan, Clare, Cork, Kerry, Limerick and Tipperary

Very heavy rain developing overnight and into Saturday with spot flooding, 25 to 35mm expected.

Valid: Friday 15 March 2019 21:00 to Saturday 16 March 2019 12:00

Issued: Friday 15 March 2019 09:00

Updated: Friday 15 March 2019 09:00

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion