Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

11-03-2019, 23:17   #586
sryanbruen

Well I posted in the Spring discussion thread that there may be some light at the end of the tunnel for those who would like some drier and warmer conditions.

There continues to be these signals starting next week with high pressure ascending from the south though timing and position will obviously be impossible to tell.

GFS 18z shows the high pressure just to the south of us at times but at other times over us with the jet stream being pushed northwards if maybe a bit close for comfort to delivering great sunshine to the north.

Chart for +210 hrs away showing high pressure centred around the Bay of Biscay drawing in milder west to southwesterly winds over Ireland and maybe a fair amount of cloud at first. These winds become more southeasterly a few days following it and the run has a lot of high pressure after this.

ECM 12z delayed the ascendance of the high to our shores but it gets there in the end with the prospect for good spells of sunshine and mild/warm temperatures.

CFSv2 continues to project high pressure dominating during the final week of March and into April.

It's all a long way off and this is the Fantasy Island thread after all so pure speculation. If these signs continue though, we should see the weather ushering in a drier and calmer spell towards the second half of this month. As the saying goes, March comes in like a lion, goes out like a lamb.

EDIT: Just noticed that this is a Winter FI charts thread?

Last edited by sryanbruen; 11-03-2019 at 23:25.
Advertisement
11-03-2019, 23:21   #587
Harry Palmr

Noticed that myself and let out an internal yelp of delight while telling myself it'll probably be gone by this time tomorrow! Please be true, I need to get gardening.
(3) thanks from:
11-03-2019, 23:48   #588
Donegal Storm

Its been a dreadful first half to the month here, hasn't stopped raining for more than a few hours since the start of the month, should be seeing a stretch in the evenings by now but street lights are still coming on around 5pm most evenings with the constant dark, wet conditions. Seriously craving some bright sunny weather now
(3) thanks from:
12-03-2019, 16:14   #589
sryanbruen

More signs of the weather settling down by this time next week onwards from the ensembles of both the GFS and ECM.

ECM clusters show high pressure establishing over us is currently the most favoured option (cluster #1) with cluster #3 also similar but maybe much more of a chance of sunny spells with #3 as #1 looks cloudy in nature. Cluster #2 is more unsettled but not a total washout and similar to M.T.'s forecast. Cluster #3 looks like one that would produce unusually warm temperatures if it were to verify but that's the least likely option out of the 3 right now.

GEFS looks like a cloudier scenario with the jet stream fairly close by but conditions generally on the dry side with high pressure laying just to the south of us.

Last edited by sryanbruen; 12-03-2019 at 16:39.
12-03-2019, 19:42   #590
stephenjmcd

Quote:
Originally Posted by sryanbruen View Post
More signs of the weather settling down by this time next week onwards from the ensembles of both the GFS and ECM.

ECM clusters show high pressure establishing over us is currently the most favoured option (cluster #1) with cluster #3 also similar but maybe much more of a chance of sunny spells with #3 as #1 looks cloudy in nature. Cluster #2 is more unsettled but not a total washout and similar to M.T.'s forecast. Cluster #3 looks like one that would produce unusually warm temperatures if it were to verify but that's the least likely option out of the 3 right now.

GEFS looks like a cloudier scenario with the jet stream fairly close by but conditions generally on the dry side with high pressure laying just to the south of us.

Some week I picked for the South of Spain. If this comes off then it'll probably be a wash out down there
Thanks from:
Advertisement
12-03-2019, 21:22   #591
Carol25

While it’s lovely to get nice weather in March...If I had to choose between a high pressure in March or one in June/July, it’d pick the summer every time. I don’t think a settled spell in late March bodes well for the summer going on previous years...but I am open to being corrected on that 🀔
(2) thanks from:
12-03-2019, 21:34   #592
Gonzo

Send a message via MSN to Gonzo
I don't mind unsettled muck between now and mid May. Let the cold and snow wait till next December and let the settled high pressures and southerly winds/plumes wait for the Summer.
Thanks from:
12-03-2019, 21:38   #593
sryanbruen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol25 View Post
While it’s lovely to get nice weather in March...If I had to choose between a high pressure in March or one in June/July, it’d pick the summer every time. I don’t think a settled spell in late March bodes well for the summer going on previous years...but I am open to being corrected on that ��
It does not bode well if it's a significant high that either lasts for a prolonged period of time or produces some unusual warmth most years (March 1990 is one exception that comes to mind).

Keep in mind, clusters #1 and especially #2 could have a lot of cloud producing drizzle as the air mass looks mild and moist, despite #1 looking high pressure dominated initially. Cluster #3 is the kind of scenario that would deliver that I described above.
Thanks from:
12-03-2019, 21:46   #594
Artane2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzo View Post
I don't mind unsettled muck between now and mid May. Let the cold and snow wait till next December and let the settled high pressures and southerly winds/plumes wait for the Summer.
I don't want to derail the thread but I wouldn't mind more of this weather until mid or late April. It's the most interesting weather we've had since November in my opinion. If we can get more northwesterlies then great.

To make this sort of on topic since we're talking about summer a bit, at the moment I think it's going to be front loaded, we are seriously overdue a notably good August though... we have had some slightly better than average ones but nothing that stands out.
(3) thanks from:
Advertisement
12-03-2019, 22:31   #595
nacho libre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzo View Post
If only the weather Gods agreed with you. I knew we would pay for the unusual warmth in February come March.
Personally i hope we get a summer, which has frequent visitors from the Bay of Biscay. We have not had decent thunderstorms from this area in a while.
14-03-2019, 10:59   #596
Elmer Blooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol25 View Post
While it’s lovely to get nice weather in March...If I had to choose between a high pressure in March or one in June/July, it’d pick the summer every time. I don’t think a settled spell in late March bodes well for the summer going on previous years...but I am open to being corrected on that ��
Agree, good summers seem to be extremely rare after warm springs. Hopefully April will be cool and unsettled.
High pressure in March is like northern blocking in November - you hope its a sign of things to come for winter but deep down you know its coming too early and is just a complete waste!

https://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/ecm.../ECM1-0.GIF?00
Thanks from:
14-03-2019, 11:44   #597
Gonzo

Send a message via MSN to Gonzo
looks like we should get a bit of a respite from all the rain soon enough, with slightly less unsettled conditions after this weekend.

Latest ensembles shows Dublin area getting much less rain from Monday onwards with high pressure becoming more of an influence, along with milder temperatures. We could do with a change as this has been mostly a wet, cold and miserable month so far.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion