Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Saturday Mar 16th: Snowfall, heavy rain, localised flood risk

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

Villain wrote: »
    A bank holiday Monday hike up Lug looks like it may be nice :D

Good bit of snow on lug still today actually

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

I've reported Kermit for using vile and disgusting language in telling us about snow. :)

A mod might be along soon. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

Danno wrote: »
    The snow of March 18th 2018 was anything but a mess.
    475459.jpg

Shows how starved we are for proper snow if you consider that anything but a mess, it was melting as soon as it stopped snowing, looked nice during the snow fall but we're still talking a 24hr type event. There's too much power in the sun and daylight duration at this time of year. Even the picture you posted has foot prints that show it's struggling to stick without sustained snow fall.

I'm not saying it's impossible to get good snow fall at this time of year, historically some of the biggest falls have happened in Spring, I just feel they are outliers and the system for the weekend looks like a marginal mess as is often the case.

6Z HIRLAM's take on it. Snow/rain boundary moves north during Sat morning.

hirlamuk-1-44-0_gue5.png
    hirlamuk-1-48-0_xxn1.png

• Registered Users Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

pad199207 wrote: »
    Status Yellow - Snow-ice warning for Donegal

A spell of snow on Friday night and early Saturday morning will lead to poor driving conditions and accumulations of up to 3 cm. On high ground accumulations are likely to be greater.

Valid: Saturday 16 March 2019 00:01 to Saturday 16 March 2019 12:00

The Warning on the main met eireann site is a bit misleading, a warning triangle that says National Warning, but when you open it, it only covers Donegal?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Mount Vesuvius

sideswipe wrote: »
    Shows how starved we are for proper snow if you consider that anything but a mess, it was melting as soon as it stopped snowing, looked nice during the snow fall but we're still talking a 24hr type event. There's too much power in the sun and daylight duration at this time of year. Even the picture you posted has foot prints that show it's struggling to stick without sustained snow fall.

I'm not saying it's impossible to get good snow fall at this time of year, historically some of the biggest falls have happened in Spring, I just feel they are outliers and the system for the weekend looks like a marginal mess as is often the case.

Look what I got on 18th March 2018

Level patio ground and top of garden shed.
    Nothing sloppy at my location. 110asl

475500.jpg

475501.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Mount Vesuvius

Latest Fax for Midday Saturday

fax48s_pax2.gif
    anim_vjq3.gif
    Hirlam shows Northern wintriness, heading to give Scotland a dumping of snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

Look what I got on 18th March 2018

Level patio ground and top of garden shed.
    Nothing sloppy at my location. 110asl

475500.jpg

475501.jpg

I got similar, unfortunately it was too late in the year to last very long, which is my point about late season snow events.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭Monkeynut

sdanseo wrote: »
    Nearest is Cardiff.

There is zero chance of any of the six nations games being cancelled barring a major outbreak of war or some unmitigated disaster. It would be like cancelling Christmas in Wales, they're on for a Grand Slam.
    The Millennium stadium(or it has a new name) has a retractable roof. Most definitely the game will be on!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,814 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Big rainfall accumulations Fri evening into Sat. Warnings look likely.

0ukilUm.png

arpegeuk-25-50-0_xwb7.png

nmmuk-25-52-0_abc2.png

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,814 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Have added a yellow warning level to the thread title to reflect the Snow - Ice warning for Donegal.

XGs0eqU.png

AyXV8w7.png

Status Yellow - Snow-ice warning for Donegal
    A spell of snow on Friday night and early Saturday morning will lead to poor driving conditions and accumulations of up to 3 cm. On high ground accumulations are likely to be greater.

Valid: Saturday 16 March 2019 00:01 to Saturday 16 March 2019 12:00

Issued: Thursday 14 March 2019 11:00

Updated: Thursday 14 March 2019 11:00

rOmlGas.png

Models going for Northern counties getting an accumulation of Snow in the early hours of Saturday and wintry showers to follow during the day across the country , could get thundery on Atlantic coasts towards evening and overnight Sat into Sun.

5NLBXTp.gif

anim_gec7.gif

nmmuk-26-48-0_szu4.png

anim_wcy0.gif

arpegeuk-45-48-0_nms7.png

The LP passing over the country early Sat moving into a colder airmas and colder air moving in over Ireland as the day goes on.

anim_lck9.gif

anim_nbq6.gif

Hard to see much snow on lower ground and hills lasting for very long on Sat morning up in Northern counties with temperatures being shown by the ECM, to get progressively cooler throughout the day .

2WuEtg5.png

ckzKQr3.png

USqT8FT.png

A1IcTOn.png

EURO 4 rainfall accumulation.

That's a lot of rainfall on top of the 34 mm approx for this week so far here near Tralee.

BL5Njbq.gif

baqOw3k.png

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

sdanseo wrote: »
    Nearest is Cardiff.

There is zero chance of any of the six nations games being cancelled barring a major outbreak of war or some unmitigated disaster. It would be like cancelling Christmas in Wales, they're on for a Grand Slam.

Millennium stadium has a retractable roof.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,442 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

On Saturday i'll be reporting live from Donegal...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Cork farms are literally going to be mini lakes, they are already so water logged when I drove down to my summer home last week before Gareth and all the rain before that, and now even more heavier rain.

Going to be a lot of floods I think since everything is already very waterlogged and the rivers are near their peak

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭downwiththatsor

Millennium stadium has a retractable roof.

Thought there was a Mexican standoff as to whether it would be closed or not? Wales didn't follow protocol and ask Ireland if they were ok with having it closed before they asked six nations hq. Not sure if the decision has been made yet one way or the other?
    Looks cold either way this weekend and looking forward to things settling down next week as the rain looks very heavy.

Thought there was a Mexican standoff as to whether it would be closed or not? Wales didn't follow protocol and ask Ireland if they were ok with having it closed before they asked six nations hq. Not sure if the decision has been made yet one way or the other?
    Looks cold either way this weekend and looking forward to things settling down next week as the rain looks very heavy.

Yeah but if the weather is promised lousy, they will close it.

Cork farms are literally going to be mini lakes, they are already so water logged when I drove down to my summer home last week before Gareth and all the rain before that, and now even more heavier rain.

Going to be a lot of floods I think since everything is already very waterlogged and the rivers are near their peak

Rivers are far from peak.

This is River Corrib directly fed from lake.

Well below median flood.

https://waterlevel.ie/0000030098/0001/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Well below median flood.

What I meant was, when I was driving down last week the river Bandon was after flooding all the fields surrounding it and would have gotten the town, so with the already heavily saturated ground, the water is just going to directly run into the rivers causing them to rise faster.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,132 ✭✭✭✭km79

Well below median flood.

That’s in Galway
    They are in cork

What I meant was, when I was driving down last week the river Bandon was after flooding all the fields surrounding it and would have gotten the town, so with the already heavily saturated ground, the water is just going to directly run into the rivers causing them to rise faster.

That was probably flash flooding feeding into the rivers
    If you had a weeks dry weather,you'd see the real level of the river
    Its probably after picking up a good bit in my opinion but not near the peak of some previous years yet

I used Corrib because it's a fast flowing river draining a massive wet catchment and is a very good indicator of water variations over time.

Bandon levels are here but the gauge does not seem to be sending data.
    https://waterlevel.ie/0000020001/0001/

Take a look at Curranure just up the road from Bandon. The levels are reflective of what happened on Corrib and are well below median flood. It peaked on 6th March.
    Here is the Curranure graph: https://waterlevel.ie/0000020002/0001/

I work in flood defences and we are in good shape this year. I am keeping a close eye on Athlone all the same (https://waterlevel.ie/0000026333/0001/)

Next week is promised settled again so we may see another peak and then back to normal for the time of year.

km79 wrote: »
    That’s in Galway
    They are in cork

Thanks for that info. We are a very small country when it comes to water levels, especially on the western seaboard.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭Pretzill

Why have a weather warning for just one county? It's very specific - will Derry not get a smattering or possibly north Sligo - I don't know why met eireann bothered with this at all (no offence to Donegal) but we are a small country how is this so pinpointed for a change

Pretzill wrote: »
    Why have a weather warning for just one county? It's very specific - will Derry not get a smattering or possibly north Sligo - I don't know why met eireann bothered with this at all (no offence to Donegal) but we are a small country how is this so pinpointed for a change

Obviously they only can issue warnings for the republic
    Ever notice how NI counties are never ever mentioned verbally on TV or radio?
    The models are only alluding to Donegal or parts of it reaching warning criteria
    Interesting the meteogroup BBC weather graphics show white mostly over Donegal too

• Registered Users Posts: 5,454 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

Partitioning the weather is one of the most ridiculous things that should be addressed when the Brexit bollix is settled.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,059 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Status Yellow - Rainfall warning for Connacht, Longford, Offaly, Westmeath, Cavan, Monaghan, Clare, Cork, Kerry, Limerick and Tipperary

Very heavy rain developing overnight and into Saturday with spot flooding, 25 to 35mm expected.

Valid: Friday 15 March 2019 21:00 to Saturday 16 March 2019 12:00

Issued: Friday 15 March 2019 09:00

Updated: Friday 15 March 2019 09:00

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,877 ✭✭✭pauldry

In Sligo we have had 132mm since March 1st

In Markree 141mm

Its heading for 200mm for the month by the end of this weekend which is 60mm off the record for March nationally

My phone shows less than 30mm for all the rest of the days in total so record wet March may not be achieved.

Advertisement