Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

02-03-2019, 09:15   #16
Oneiric 3

Rainfall % of average for the first two months of 2019 for all of the reporting Met Eireann stations:

Data: Met Eireann.

Very apparent east/west split, While most if not all stations are coming in with a rainfall deficit, some stations in the east have only received 50% or less of normal rainfall for the Jan-Feb period.

Fairly widespread, if modest falls across the country on the first day of Spring yesterday, with longer range forecasts suggesting anything between 20 & 50 mm falling over the country over the 7 days or so, so maybe some good news for those looking for some rain.

Latest NWP rainfall total forecast up to the end of the coming working week:

Last edited by Oneiric 3; 02-03-2019 at 09:21.
(4) thanks from:
Advertisement
07-03-2019, 23:21   #17
sryanbruen

https://twitter.com/meteireann/statu...057957376?s=21
(3) thanks from:
12-03-2019, 20:18   #18
BlackandGreen

Said it before but the one thing that worries me about our weather after last year is extended drought.
A lot of people got away with it in 2018 but there was entire parishes without water for months here.

I was lucky in that we had water for a few hours every day and managed to be able to get everything done, but i had to seriously curb water consumption as it was off from 6pm to 7am every day and then from 8pm to 7am right up until december because there was such a shortage.

Other places simply had NO water for weeks if not months.

If we were to get a drought like that for another summer or a few in a row it coule be a serious emergency. It made me anxious to be honest, not being able to wash in the morning after sweating all night in bed when it was in the high 20's.
I had to take 2~ minute showers. turning it off in between using soap.

What píssed me off the most was that so many people just refused to conserve water. If I said that a 30 minute shower was too long, or there's no need to do a full 2 hour wash for some underwear and non stained clothes people would just fob me off.

Neighbors went out and make a big point of power washing the entire house right in the middle of the hosepipe ban just because "fúck em".
(2) thanks from:
17-03-2019, 20:02   #19
Oneiric 3

Very wet March so far, with most, if not all stations already surpassing their entire monthly long-term average, despite the fact that we are really just a little over halfway through the month.

This graph shows the running 28 day mean percentage of average rainfall totals (up to yesterday, the 16th) since March last year:

Really spiking up now and as can be seen, we are now in the wettest period, relative to average, in over a year.

Top 5 wettest stations so far this March (mm)

Newport: 194.6
Finner Camp: 176.0
Markee: 175.8
Shannon Apt: 167.8
Knock Apt: 167.1

Top 5 'driest' so far: (or just escaping the very worst)

Phoenix Pk: 82.3
Casement: 83.2
Dublin Apt: 89.9
Roches Pt: 98.4
Mace Hd: 99.3

Mean totals by Province:

Connacht 152.1
Ulster (RoI) 146.7
Munster 130.2
Leinster 104.6

The coming working week does look to be drier as high pressure tries to build in, but when I see a forecast chart like this, which is for the midweek period,

it doesn't convince one that there will be any great drying either after the recent deluges, with northern and western areas, in particular, prone to drizzly damp bursts at times as weak fronts hover just a bit to close for comfort.

All data above from Met Eireann.
Forecast map from AMet (Spanish Met Office)

Last edited by Oneiric 3; 17-03-2019 at 20:06.
17-03-2019, 20:29   #20
Mortelaro

'Just' 80.6mm here in Arklow in March so far
Thanks from:
Advertisement
17-03-2019, 23:46   #21
pauldry

Definitely going to break the 200mm in Sligo

A lot drier in last 15 days with about 30 or 40mm in NW
18-03-2019, 12:21   #22
Graces7

Non stop deluges out here. how easy is it with home items to measure rain? as opposed to tech stuff.?..would love to try that

west mayo offshore
(2) thanks from:
20-03-2019, 07:47   #23
Oneiric 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graces7 View Post
Non stop deluges out here. how easy is it with home items to measure rain? as opposed to tech stuff.?..would love to try that

west mayo offshore
If you have a spare coffee mug Grace, that is as good as anything. Though given your windy location, you might want to set it in firm enough in the ground so as not to blow away. Just make sure it is set level and measure any rain collected in the mug (every day at a set time if at all possible, and to the nearest millimeter ) with a ruler and just log in the results in a dedicated school copy or something similar.

You might be surprised at what an interesting hobby this could turn out to be.
(3) thanks from:
20-03-2019, 12:19   #24
Graces7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneiric 3 View Post
If you have a spare coffee mug Grace, that is as good as anything. Though given your windy location, you might want to set it in firm enough in the ground so as not to blow away. Just make sure it is set level and measure any rain collected in the mug (every day at a set time if at all possible, and to the nearest millimeter ) with a ruler and just log in the results in a dedicated school copy or something similar.

You might be surprised at what an interesting hobby this could turn out to be.
Does the width/size of the receptacle not matter?
Advertisement
20-03-2019, 20:24   #25
Gaoth Laidir

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graces7 View Post
Does the width/size of the receptacle not matter?
It doesn't matter if it is totally cylindrical and the bottom is flat. Some cups have wider rims than bottoms so they won't do.

If you're using a ruler to measure the depth just make sure to account for the blank offset at the end of it. Better instead to dip something square into the water and then measure the length of its wetness.

Another method is to weight the water each time, but for this you will need to know the exact diameter of the mug to calculate its area. 1 mm of rain is 1 litre per square metre. 1 ml weighs 1.0 g.
(3) thanks from:
20-03-2019, 21:41   #26
John mac

heres a handy one..

https://www.wikihow.com/Make-a-Rain-...Plastic-Bottle
Thanks from:
21-03-2019, 12:09   #27
Graces7

Quote:
Originally Posted by John mac View Post
neat! Thankyou
22-03-2019, 11:20   #28
sryanbruen

March 2019 rainfall totals up to the 21st show it has been the wettest March on record at several stations including long-term stations of Shannon Airport and Mullingar.

Data from Met Éireann.
(6) thanks from:
23-03-2019, 00:03   #29
pauldry

Casement Claremorris Malin and Mace will be in or near record territory by 31st March. Thanks for that info Sryan. Is there a website where you get that info. When I look at Met Eireann website I only see data for past couple of years

Id say Markree has defintely had its wettest March for many years based on Finner and fact the most Ive recorded since 2005 is 164mm
(2) thanks from:
25-03-2019, 15:38   #30
sryanbruen

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauldry View Post
Casement Claremorris Malin and Mace will be in or near record territory by 31st March. Thanks for that info Sryan. Is there a website where you get that info. When I look at Met Eireann website I only see data for past couple of years

Id say Markree has defintely had its wettest March for many years based on Finner and fact the most Ive recorded since 2005 is 164mm
I get the data from the historical database on met.ie: https://www.met.ie/climate/available...istorical-data

A weird thing with this database is that on the new met.ie, you cannot access closed station data (like old Oak Park manual station, Kilkenny, Birr, Clones etc) or some long-term stations' data like Valentia Observatory which you need to go to archive.met.ie for. I let Met Éireann know about this bug but got no response.

I download the excel files of each station - monthly ones for this data above and use the filter function in excel making the data go from largest to smallest. I also use the filter function then to only include Marches.
(3) thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion