Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Driving test in Carrick on Shannon

• 26-03-2015 4:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭

I have my driving test in Carrick this week. I wonder could anyone give me any tips on it. What kind of questions might he ask?
    Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

You'll be brought in first and he'll get you to identify road signs on a placard. Then he'll ask you show him the different containers under the bonnet; oil dip etc. He may ask you about different buttons in the car itself, defogger/rear wiper etc so make sure you know them. He can ask you these in a roundabout way like ''If the passenger seat was misted, how would I clear it?"

After that he'll bring you out and round the town, normally go left out of the test center and up left after that. Just be very confident about taking off on a hill, there are lots of places on the test route that will catch you out with that if you're not the est at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

Kovu wrote: »
    You'll be brought in first and he'll get you to identify road signs on a placard. Then he'll ask you show him the different containers under the bonnet; oil dip etc. He may ask you about different buttons in the car itself, defogger/rear wiper etc so make sure you know them. He can ask you these in a roundabout way like ''If the passenger seat was misted, how would I clear it?"

After that he'll bring you out and round the town, normally go left out of the test center and up left after that. Just be very confident about taking off on a hill, there are lots of places on the test route that will catch you out with that if you're not the est at it.

Thanks for that, it was really helpful. I know this sounds daft but I have a tire on the back of my car that would be pretty close to bare and I intend to change it but I don't think I`ll be able to get it in before the test. Will this stop the test taking place?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

I honestly don't know. He took a quick glance at the tires on my car before my test. You could hope for a car to be parked in the second space and squeeze in beside it to hide it perhaps? If he asks, best to explain to him that you didn't have time to change it but have it booked in to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭treenytru

Just wondering if anyone knows the route of the test in carrick...planning on doing the test next month:)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,722 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

treenytru wrote: »
    Just wondering if anyone knows the route of the test in carrick...planning on doing the test next month:)

there's several different routes, and several different places for the different manoeuvres. your best bet is to get a few lessons from local instructors who can bring you on the different routes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 typer325

Hi guys, has anyone here don't the test in Carrick? Will be sitting it myself quite soon and any first-hand experience would be welcome :)

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭mollymaloney

Could anyone recommend a good school of motoring in Carrick on Shannon. I want to treat my friend to a lesson, a pre test and the test, as a Christmas present.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

Could anyone recommend a good school of motoring in Carrick on Shannon. I want to treat my friend to a lesson, a pre test and the test, as a Christmas present.

I did it with Tom O'Dowd. He's very good and I'd highly recommend him. It was 35 a lesson but if you buy a few he may will knock a few euro off. http://www.tomodowdschoolofmotoring.ie/contact.html

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭mollymaloney

Good man-- thanks a mill for that

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Sean_ros

Hi,

Has anyone had their test in Carrick recently? If so could you share your test route and where you did the 3 point turn/reverse/hill start?

For a hill start at Gings, would the tester ask you to stop at Gings so that when moving off you'd need the handbrake?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭liatroimabu

Sean_ros wrote: »
    Hi,

Has anyone had their test in Carrick recently? If so could you share your test route and where you did the 3 point turn/reverse/hill start?

For a hill start at Gings, would the tester ask you to stop at Gings so that when moving off you'd need the handbrake?

Dunno if you've had your test yet but a bit of advice in case anyone is coming looking here in future either.

Hill start I'd beside gings alright just up the hill a little from the pub obviously not at the junction. 3 point turn I had to do on the side road beside Aura leisure centre which is grand considering next to no cars on that road. Aside from that the route was standard enough, around the roundabouts, up through the town, around by the post office and back through the town and on back to the centre.

Only advice I will give is if you have the dublin man as a tester (assuming hes still in carrick) make sure and keep right up to the 50km/h or 30km/h speed limit where possible and do not hesitate at any junctions or roundabouts, if theres a safe oppurtunity, take it asap with him because he is a stickler for progress and failed me 1st time around on that. Second time I had a woman as a tester and all grand, nothing untoward that she was really focused on and to be fair I was a lot more confident second time round.

Advertisement