Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

16-01-2013, 22:55   #31
compsys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Min View Post
I hope this is not going to be another Gerry Murphy bashing for not being a snow ramper, so far he hasn't been wrong.
Met Eireann could have ramped for snow on Friday given the UK met warning which covered a part of Ireland, but they didn't and were correct.
You're completely correct.

I think everyone here is bashing Gerry just because he hasn't forecast what people wanted to hear.

Again, he's the professional here and Met E don't usually get it wrong this close to an event.

Yes, they got things wrong last week when they tried to do a mid-range forecast based solely on the ECM outputs (which was unwise) but they rarely get it wrong 48 hours before an event.

I'd love to be wrong but my heart tells me I'm not.
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
16-01-2013, 23:05   #32
flanzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weathercheck View Post
we will set up an 'event' thread if the morning models warrant one.

Snowy dreams to all.
Maybe Gerry and ME are waiting for this to happen before they start mentioning the 'S' word!
16-01-2013, 23:09   #33
Blizzard 2010

Going by the present models (except GFS) I would not rule out a wintry weekend with snow. Its still only midweek anything could happen within the next 24 - 48 hours. Met Eireann have to play it safe. I must say I was a little surprised by the weather forecast which Gerry Murphy gave. I actually thought he was refering to the Oz charts
16-01-2013, 23:17   #34
E. Fudd

Quote:
Originally Posted by FWVT View Post
ME have been spot on all week. As the usual rampers have been on here chasing their tails, ME have been generating accurate forecasts. Forecasts that have not been what people wanted to hear but their job is not to please a pack of snowbunnies on a discussion board but to say it as it is. There is time enough to mention snow tomorrow if and when the chances grow to more than the current remote.

People need to grow up a little. Many are dillusional to think that they know more than a national weather service and that members of this service may change their forecasts based on what is posted by some on here. ECMWF members also have access to 06 and 18Z ECMWF model runs at 1-hr steps out to 90 hours. They have a plethora of extra parameters in all the models, many more than are available to us, plus experience, so I think they know what they're doing.
Hi Gerry!
16-01-2013, 23:17   #35
Slashermcguirk

Quote:
ME have been spot on all week. As the usual rampers have been on here chasing their tails, ME have been generating accurate forecasts. Forecasts that have not been what people wanted to hear but their job is not to please a pack of snowbunnies on a discussion board but to say it as it is. There is time enough to mention snow tomorrow if and when the chances grow to more than the current remote.

People need to grow up a little. Many are dillusional to think that they know more than a national weather service and that members of this service may change their forecasts based on what is posted by some on here. ECMWF members also have access to 06 and 18Z ECMWF model runs at 1-hr steps out to 90 hours. They have a plethora of extra parameters in all the models, many more than are available to us, plus experience, so I think they know what they're doing.
This is the thing, met eireann have been wrong time and again. They have changed their forecasts consistently, I could show you quote from few days ago saying snow accumulations in the east and north easy for Tuesday night and today. They just change their mind day before. Their forecast beyond a day or two have been consistently off.

In fairness, weather models have been so erratic but changing forecast every day doesn't exactly count as correct forecasting!!
Advertisement
16-01-2013, 23:27   #36
Wickerman1

I think ME are on the same roller coaster as us! Whether they at the front or the back remains to be seen!
Miss Su at times like this, his comments always spiced things up even though it often wasn't what we wanted to here.

Last edited by Wickerman1; 16-01-2013 at 23:30.
Thanks from:
16-01-2013, 23:55   #37
Oscar Bravo

Its 5 to midnight lets head over to Met Eireann on Rte Radio 1 for the latest.....
Thanks from:
16-01-2013, 23:57   #38
Min

Evelyn has said unfortunately it looks like we will have bitterly cold easterlies next week, risk of snow in the north east of the country on Friday and turning a lot colder over the weekend.
16-01-2013, 23:57   #39
Danno

Fair play Evelyn...

Calls snow risk for Friday in the NE and Ulster.

Bitterly cold east winds setting in thenafter.

RTE Radio 1
Advertisement
16-01-2013, 23:58   #40

Evelyn mentioned the risk of sleet/snow in Ulster and NE Leinster on Friday going into Saturday on the 2355 forecast on radio 1. Bitter easterly winds setting in next week. Further details on the 0755 forecast. Upgrade!
(3) thanks from:
17-01-2013, 00:00   #41
compsys

Quote:

Well said.

Look, we ALL want to see snow but that shouldn't make this ramping thread become a delusional thread.

Let's face is, precipitation moving in from the Atlantic is rarely ever going to fall as snow, especially when we don't have any established cold.

It's midnight in the pit of winter and the temperature in Dublin is 6 degrees. It's forecast to reach 10 in some places tomorrow. That's on the mild side even for Ireland.

Don't bash ME for telling it as it is.
Thanks from:
17-01-2013, 00:01   #42
Min

Evelyn not wanting the cold and snow it seems, because she said "unfortunately".
17-01-2013, 00:05   #43
DOCARCH

Quote:
Evelyn not wanting the cold and snow it seems, because she said "unfortunately".
No doubt with her tounge in her cheek - she loves a bit of snow!
Thanks from:
17-01-2013, 00:11   #44
Larbre34

Quote:
Well yes, as a public service whose purpose is to warn of risk to the vulnerable, that will always be the angle.
17-01-2013, 00:11   #45
Min

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOCARCH View Post
No doubt with her tounge in her cheek - she loves a bit of snow!
Probably like quiet weather where they won't be hassled by the media or public.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion