Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

тяжелая атлетик&

• 23-07-2012 7:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭

Yet another emo weightlifter with another emo log.

Been teaching myself the lifts for the last 5 months or so. Pretty slow progress and I've had to start over a couple of times to get rid of bad habits. Things have been slowly coming together over the last two weeks or so.

Weight: 85 or thereabouts

PR's:
    Clean and jerk: 72.5kg
    Snatch: 57.5kg
    Back squat: 135kg
    Front squat: 125kg
    Deadlift: 155kg

Today's training:

Clean and jerks:

Bar x loads
    40kg x 2
    50kg x 2
    60kg x 1

67.5 5x2

Not too bad today missed one clean when my brain stopped working. My second reps always seem to be a bit better than my first for some reason. I've been doing doubles for the last few weeks, increasing the weight slightly every week, to help ingrain technique into my brain. Might move to triples in a few weeks.

Front squats:

50kg x 1
    80kg x 1
    100kg x 1
    110kg x 1
    115kg x 1
    120kg x 1 PR
    125kg x 1 PR
    130kg x crushed

Videoed the 125kg and it looked easy so went for 130 but got loose on the descent and basically just sat down. I've decided to stick to max singles for the next while and see how far I can go. Mainly cos I hate squating for reps with a passion.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭DylanJM

24th July

Pretty wrecked didn't get much sleep last night and wasn't really looking forward to training at all but dragged myself out anyway.

Snatches:

Bar x few
    40kg x 2
    45kg x 2
    50kg x 1
    52.5kg 5x2

Missed two or three. I have to get better at pulling myself under the bar, watching myself back on video looks like I'm snatching in slow motion :D

Back squats:

I'm so terrible at back squats they never feel right at all, front squats feel much more natural.

Bar x few
    50kg x 3
    80kg x 2
    110kg x 1
    120kg x 1
    130kg x scariest thing EVAR!!! somehow shifted from my heels to my toes when I hit the bottom. Nearly fell forward and was way to close to my rack, images of being decapitated by the bar flashed before my eyes before I eventually got back on to my heels and dumped the bar. Was not fun at all
    130kg x 1
    140kg x 1 PR Grinder

Messed around with some chest supported rows by sticking a bench on some blocks of wood, nothing worth writing about.

25th July

Clean and jerks:

Bar x ridiculous amount, couldn't get into the groove at all, set the tone for the rest of the session.
    40kg x 2
    50kg x 2
    50kg x 1
    67.5kg 4x2

Feckin terrible, didn't bother with the last double. The cleans were miles out in front and my jerks were worse, couldn't stay tight at all. Adjusting my hands for the jerk when coming out out the clean was also all over the place couldn't get my grip width right at all.

I swear I nearly had a mini breakdown during these :D

Front squats:

Worked up to a heavy single at 120kg then went down to 110kg for four singles. The 120 was tough, singles were alright.

26th July

Snatches:

bar
    40kg x 2
    45kg x 2
    50kg x 1

52.5kg 5x3

Meh first three triples were pretty shíte, missed a fair few out front cos I wasn't getting on my heels at all. Last two were much better, fiddled around with my start position and they started coming together.

Back squatzzz

bar x 3
    50kg x 2
    80kg x 1
    110kg x 1
    120kg x 1
    130kg x 1
    120kg x 1 lol was meant to do 5 singles at 120 but legs said no and I gave up

RDL:

50kg x 8
    70kg x 8
    80kg 2x8 1x12

Some rows and weighted situps.

Might test out my maxes on Saturday for the lulz. Will also do more triples and doubles on squats next week.

30th July

Clean and jerks:

Bar x many
    50kg x 3
    60kg x 1
    65kg x 1
    70kg 5 x 2

Not too bad, no misses. Cleans were good jerks so so. One smooth as fook jerk that felt amazing :D

Cleans:
    80kg x 1
    85kg x 1 PR
    90kg missed twice and hurt my wrist :cries:

Missed the 85 twice before I made it. Cleaned my body weight, mini milestone yay!

Front squat:
    80kg x 1
    100kg x 1
    107.5kg 3x3

Hilarious sounds were made during the last rep of the triples. Right wrist was sore during these :(

31st July:

Snatches:

Bar x loads
    40kg x 2
    45kg x 2
    50kg x 1
    52.5kg x 1

55kg 5 x 2

These were fine until the last double when I missed twice, cos I somehow forgot to snatch completely. Should be set to do triples on these on Thursday.

Backsquats:

Bar x few
    50kg x 2
    80kg x 2
    100kg x 2

115kg 4 x 2

100kg 1 x 8

Doubles at 115 were fine, didn't feel too heavy. The set of eight was the fastest set I've ever done, I was like a feckin pogo stick and caught the bounce on every rep. I've adjusted the position of the bar on my traps to sit it a bit lower which feels a lot more stable.

Hopefully I'll be getting my new bar tomorrow, which is 28mm and has softer knurl, which will be a nice change from the 29mm one I'm using at the moment which is eating my hands.

• Advertisement

2nd August

Clean and jerk

Bar
    50kg x 3
    60kg x 2
    65kg x 1

70kg 5 x 2

No misses but jerks were terrible. Couldn't stay tight on the dip at all and wasn't getting my head through enough.

Front squats with a pause

70kg x 2
    90kg x 2
    100kg 3 x 3 These nearly killed me :D Found it hard to hold my upper back by the end of the sets.

Really shouldn't have taken yesterday off, it just fecked up my week, hopefully tomorrow will be a bit better. I'm going to force myself to test maxes on Saturday cos I didn't bother last weekend. Hopefully aim for at least 60/80.

3rd August

Snatches:

Bar
    40kg x 2
    45kg x 2
    50kg x 2

55kg 5 x 3

Only had an hour before the 85's started so flew through the snatches and didn't bother with squats, will do some tomorrow instead. Missed a few snatches, mostly because I was rushing. Eventually got 5 triples done. Lower back was well swole :D

Still not getting on to my heels enough for the second pull. I figured this out while messing with snatches from the hip. Snatching from the hip, I can get under much quicker so I'll have to work on hitting that position better when I snatch from the floor.

Gonna test maxes in the morning for both lifts and do a max backsquat, hopefully :D

4th August

Snatch:

bar
    40kg x 2
    45kg x 2
    50kg x 1
    55kg x 1
    57.5kg x 1
    60kg x 1
    62.5kg x 1 +5kg PR

Clean and jerks

Shíte, might as well have not of bothered. Was unbelievably slow, got about as far as 65kg and started missing jerks. Everything wanted to explode; wrists, knees shoulder, left calf. The emoness was pouring out of me.

Back squats:
    LOL

After all that I get on to the computer and find out Klokov and Akkaev are out of the olympics. :Tears:

6th August

Power cleans:

70kg 5 x 3

Decided to do power cleans for a change, weren't too bad, two misses. Still need to get back on to my heels better for the second pull.

Jerks from rack:

Millions of triples up to 70kg. Doing these because I need to get more consistent with my jerk, I think I'll stick to this for the next week or two and then move back to clean and jerks. Wish I had some jerk boxes cos I despise lowering the bar back to my shoulders.

FS:

110kg 3x3 OR 4x3

Couldn't remember if I had done one set or two in the middle of these so did an extra to be safe. Must of been four triples cos that last set was feckin tough :D

7th August

Snatches:

warm ups blah blah

57.5kg 5 x 2

Took about 30 reps to do five doubles :confused: The snatches I actually made were pretty good though. Every miss was out front.

Back squats:

120kg 3x3

Finally getting to like back squats again, which almost certainly means I will begin hating front squats :D Should probably increase the volume but I was a bit tired after 40 odd snatches :D

• Advertisement

8th August

Cleans:

80kg 3x3

60kg 2x3 did these from the floor pausing below the knee

Jerk from rack:

Triples at various weights, legs were really tired from the cleans so couldn't even get to 70kg. Note to self, do jerks first :D Will do some jerks tomorrow to compensate.

Front squats:

Not arsed, legs disappeared today just wasn't happening.

Today:

Deadlifted up to 160 for the lulz. Tried 167.5 , didn't even leave the floor :D right arse cheek felt like exploding lol

This week has been absolutely terrible, I didn't even bother logging yesterdays attempt at training. Gonna stop messing around next week and start training properly.

Today:

Decided to finally pull my finger out and start training properly. Started Glenn Pendlay's beginner program cos I'm sure he knows hell of a lot more about weightlifting than I do :D

Snatches:

bar x loads
    40kg x 3
    45kg x 2
    50kg x 2

52.5kg 10 x 1

Only missed one when my brain shut off. Some of the first one felt pretty snappy which is a first :D

Cleans:

2 clean pulls from the floor + 1 hang clean from below knee = 1 rep

bar x few
    40kg x 2
    50kg x 2
    60kg x 1

65kg x 5 sets

Actually liked this exercise, felt good doing the pulls before the clean.

Push presses:

bar 2 x 5
    40kg x 5

50kg 3 x 5

Warmed up doing these from the front, wrists fooking hated it so did the work sets from behind the neck with a medium grip. I hate this exercise but I think that's cos I'm terrible at them, so I think I'll stick with them until I get good at them :D

Back squats:

40kg x 5
    70kg x 3
    90kg x 2

110kg 3 x 5

Today:

Snatches:

2 pulls from floor + hang snatch from below knee = 1 rep

52.5kg 5 x 1

Wasn't sweeping the bar into the hip enough, I think this is because I'm not used to doing hang snatches.

Clean and jerks:

70kg 7 x 1

Was meant to be 10 singles but everything went to shíte so gave up. Need to learn to jerk :D

Front squats:

100kg 3 x 3

Today:

Snatches:

52.5kg 5 x 2

Warm ups and first five reps were grand, good even :D Then I started missing forward, missed about five. Eventually got all the doubles in the end. Funnily enough when I started taking less time setting up they got better :confused:

Cleans:

Clean pull from floor + clean from the hip = 1 rep

65kg 5 x 1

Made everything, cleaning from the hips feels a bit strange but I'll get used to it.

Rack jerks:

60kg 5 x 2

Backsquats:

112.5kg 3 x 5

Today:

Snatches:

2 pulls + snatch from hip = 1 rep

bar x few
    40kg 3 x 1
    45kg 3 x 1
    50kg 2 x 1

52.5kg 5 x 1

Not too bad, only missed twice, not really used to snatching from the hip so did a good few warm ups.

Clean and jerk

60kg 5 x 2

Jerk is getting better, felt like I could of gone heavier but played it safe. I don't want to get ahead of myself like I usually do.

Backsquats

115kg 3 x 5

Today:

Snatches:

Took ages to warm up so did about a million warm up snatches :D

55kg 10 x 1

Only one miss. Snatches were mostly fine, last few were caught slightly on my toes rather than my heels.

60kg x 1 Best snatch of the day, miles better than any of the 55kg ones :confused:
    65kg x 1 PR lololololol snatch is now only 7.5kg less than my best ever jerk, strong imbalance :D Was a pretty snatch as well, better than most of the singles @ 55kg

Cleans:

Clean from hip + clean from below knee = 1 rep

Loads of warm ups.

67.5kg 5 x 1

OH Press

47.5kg 5 x 3

I have the pressing strength of a small child

Front squats

105kg 3 x 3

No legs at this point, hard.

Today

Hungover. Gigantic torn callus. Fell forward with a heavy squat. Nearly died. The end.

Today

Snatches:

Blah blah warm ups

57.5kg 6 x 1 eugh was meant to be ten singles but they started going to shíte

50kg 3 x 2 did three doubles to make up for giving up, these were actually pretty fast

Cleans:

clean pull from floor + clean from hip = 1 rep

67.5kg 5 x 1 No problems

Backsquat:

117.5kg 5 x 3 Take two on these :D Pretty tough many a grunt was made :D

I wish I was Pyrros Dimas aka Power jerkage:

40kg 3 x 3 Decided to do these instead of push presses because I despise push presses and there should be more carry over from these.

I dunno these felt pretty good but looked ugly a fuark on camera :D I think I prefer the feel of these to splits but that might change when I actually do them with actual weight :D

Today

I give up, I need coaching, ECB on Monday I think.

• Advertisement

Today

Did loads of bar work for the snatch. I'm well over my little hissy fit that I had on Wednesday.
    Didn't put any weight on because my hands are are in bits at the moment and want them to heal by Monday.

Did back squat singles up to 140kg.

Looking forward to heading up the ECB on Monday. Change of scenery will hopefully do me some good :D

Today

Went up to ECB, what a place. Wayne's a great guy made me feel very welcome. Was pretty epic watching him walk around the place, watching everyone lift, then just go over to a bar with something ridiculous on it and clean and jerk it casually.
    Dunno if there was any boardsies there but if there was I was the gobshíte down the end in the stripey green and white top.
    Wayne just let me go ahead and do my own thing, so I just did a bunch of stuff not really sticking to anything in particular, just did what felt was doable on the day,

Santches

Bunch of triples and doubles up to a 60kg double. Weren't too bad, I was smashing myself in the pubic bone quite a bit but I pretty much always do this so nothing new there :D

Clean and jerk

Few doubles and singles up to 86kg for a single. Missed twice then got it on the third attempt.
    Did 3 x 2 @ 70kg afterwards

Backsquat

120kg 3 x 5

Pretty good day all in all. Pretty good atmosphere around the place even though I don't really know anyone but it sure beats training on my own.
    The only downside is no showers which is a bit of a pain as I was sweating absolute balls all the way home on the train :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭token

DylanJM wrote:
    Went up to ECB, what a place. Wayne's a great guy made me feel very welcome.

Welcome! The place is savage now since everything has moved into the one big room and the platforms are finished. I reckon the weightlifiting part will really take off now since everyone can see it now whereas it was kinda separate before.
    DylanJM wrote: »
    Dunno if there was any boardsies there

There were a few of us there. Inspector Coptoor & Frogdog were there. I didn't get down till pretty late tonight though so didn't notice you until Wayne was talking about you after. He was impressed you had taught yourself!

Today

In ECB again today

Snatches:

blah blah warm up

53kg 3 x 3
    55kg 2 x 2
    58kg x 1
    53kg 3 x 3

Terrible, looking down in the catch which meant I was forward the whole time.
    Smash all the pubic bone.
    Hands were eaten alive as well :(

Clean and jerks:

67kg 3 x 2
    73kg 1 x 2
    77kg 2 x 1 except I'm only after realizing I only did one, retard.
    67kg 3 x 2 so tired at this point, missed a clean :confused:

Jerks were actually quite solid today, minimum pressing out.

Front squats:

85kg x 5
    90kg x 5 fingers nearly ripped off
    95kg x 5 changes grip, ah that's better
    100kg x 5
    105kg x 5

First time I've ever done fives on the front squat, didn't mind it actually.
    Last rep @ 105 was tough.

Pullage of the clean variety

90kg 3 x 3
    100kg 3 x 3

Woooo got to test out my new ironmind straps. Shame I had already got like five blisters/callouses at this point. Might start snatching with straps until my hands get better.

Toaday

Snatch:

53kg 2 x 3
    57kg 2 x 2
    60kg x 1
    55kg 2 x 2

One miss, the single at 60 was the best snatch of the lot.

Jerk from split:

40kg 6 x 3

Meh, never done these before. It showed :D

Front squats:

110kg 5 x 3

Single leg RDL

6kg dumbbell 3 x 8(each leg)

Push press

40kg x 5
    45kg x 5
    50kg x 5
    55kg x 5
    55kg x 3 sooo tired

Power cleaned the first reps as the squats stands were being used.

Today

Woe is me :(

Snatches:

53kg 2 x 3
    57kg 2 x 2
    59kg x 1
    53kg 3 x 3

every single one absolute shíte :(

Clean and jerk:

67kg 3 x 3
    73kg 2 x 2
    78kg x 1

Smashed myself in the chin with a jerk during warm ups :confused:
    Also had to switch bars during the triples cos the one I was using, it's sleeves kept locking up which made receiving the bar during the clean impossible.
    Jerks were shíte.

Front squats:

90kg x 5
    95kg x 5
    100kg x 5
    105kg x 5
    110kg x 4

Disgusting.

Snatch pulls:

70kg 3 x 3
    75kg 2 x 3

The only good thing about today.
    Whatever way I extend during these is much better than when I actually snatch.
    My mission for Wednesday is to try and replicate this extension with my full snatches.

After all that emoness I decided to do some bar work. Did about a zillion triples.
    Managed to transfer the way I extend during pulls to the snatch.
    Felt much better, less smashing of the pubic bone :)

Today

Snatches:

Went full on retard and did next Mondays snatches instead of todays :(

53kg 2 x 3
    57kg x 2
    59kg x 1
    62kg x 2 fails

Realised I was a dope and left it there. Snatches are finally getting a bit better though.

Jerk from box:

50kg 2 x 3
    60kg 2 x 3
    65kg 1 x 3
    70kg 1 x 2

Shíte, I was thinking way too much about my foot work and keeping my back leg bent which made me forget the other stuff.

Front squats:

90kg x 5
    95kg x 5
    100kg x 5
    105kg x 5
    110kg x 5

Left calf was a tad dodgey during these, feels fine now though.

Clean pulls:

80kg 3 x 3
    90kg 3 x 3

Starting to like pulls :pac:

Today:

Snatches:

54kg 2 x 3
    57kg 2 x 2
    59kg x 1

Finally remembering how to snatch, minimal hip smash fatality :D

Clean and jerks:

LOLOLOLOL

Shoulders felt like they were going to explode, I've also forgotten how to jerk completely :(

Cleans were awful as well. My turn over into the rack position has turned to absolute shíte.

I'm gonna do a fúcktonne of bar work over the weekend to try and iron these problems out.

Back squats:

105kg x 5
    110kg x 5
    115kg x 5
    120kg x 5
    125kg x 5

SLOW

Single arm dumbbell press:

12kg 4 x 8 each arm

Ab pulldowns:

Dunno, something x something.

Today:

Snatches:

53kg 2 x 3
    57kg 2 x 2
    59kg x 1
    62kg 2 x fail
    53kg 2 x 3

Gradually forgot how to snatch as the weight increased. Remembered how when I did the last two triples.

Clean and jerks:

68kg 2 x 3
    73kg 2 x 2
    77kg x 1

So many misses.

I've completely forgotten how to jerk. I'll be jerking from the blocks on Wednesday which will hopefully remedy it.

Front squats:

95kg x 5
    100kg x 5
    105kg x 5
    110kg x 5
    115kg x 5

Pretty good, might try 120 x 5 on Wed. Sets of 5 seem to be helping with me get better at keeping my back tight and chest up.

Snatch pulls:

70kg 3 x 3
    75kg 2 x 3

Getting these pretty high, to just under my chest, which is pretty frustrating as this should be plenty high enough to snatch.
    Yet I couldn't snatch 62 today.

Did some jerk bar work to try and relearn the jerk. Then messed with squat jerks for lulz. Dunno if this will be a viable option but no harm in trying.

• Advertisement

Today:

Snatches:

59kg 8 x 1

Alright, got to eight before I forgot how to snatch. Did a few at 50 afterwards.
    Starting to come together, there was one or two that felt really good. Just need to get out of the habit of looking at the floor.

Jerks:

40kg 6 x 3

Trying to relearn the jerk. Some were ok others weren't. My foot position in the split needs to be more consistent.

Front squats:

90kg x 5
    95kg x 5
    100kg x 5
    105kg x 5
    110kg x 5

lolololol at me thinking I might do 120 for five after last Monday :pac:

Clean pulls:

80kg 3 x 3
    90kg 3 x 3

Running on empty at this stage

Advertisement