Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Cladding attic ceiling with timber

Options
  • 27-02-2020 11:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭

Hi, my attic is a cold space with insulation only at floor level.

Are there any problems (regulation-wise or otherwise) with cladding the ceiling under the rafters with timber (say sheets of quarter inch ply)? I don't intend to insulate between or under rafters, but the timber would be something I could paint to give a nice finish to the room.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,008 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Why would you want a finished ceiling on an unheated storage space?

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭m0nsterie

Lumen wrote: »
    Why would you want a finished ceiling on an unheated storage space?

Ya, that's a personal preference as it's a large dry space and I have some room for some projects there. That's the why, but that's not what I'm asking about.

I'm more interested in whether there are any issues you can think of for example fire safety etc. with installing some timber instead of plasterboard on the attic ceiling.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 12,193 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

So just 1/4 " timber onto the rafters?
    wont meet the fire regs
    Is this a 3 storey?
    How is the attic ventilated?

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,031 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

So just 1/4 " timber onto the rafters?
    wont meet the fire regs
    Is this a 3 storey?
    How is the attic ventilated?

Thanks - 2 storey. Attic is currently a cold space, vented at soffits.

So having ply (or any timber e.g. tongue & groove panelling) on the rafters would be against fire regulations? Thanks for the answer - exactly what I was looking for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,193 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

m0nsterie wrote: »
    Thanks - 2 storey. Attic is currently a cold space, vented at soffits.

So having ply (or any timber e.g. tongue & groove panelling) on the rafters would be against fire regulations? Thanks for the answer - exactly what I was looking for.

2 storey plus attic or 2 storey inc attic.?
    Is important because if you open up the attic then its a 3 storey and thats a world of hurt with fire regs..
    Its not any timber, its the type and thickness: see Part A

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

2 storey plus attic or 2 storey inc attic.?
    Is important because if you open up the attic then its a 3 storey and thats a world of hurt with fire regs..
    Its not any timber, its the type and thickness: see Part A

2 storey plus attic. Can you give a link to part A? Thanks

Advertisement