Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Bach 2 part Invention No 13 in A Minor

• 05-04-2013 1:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭

Have been doin this piece for the last few weeks and i seem to be making same misakes despite taking these parts out and practicing them . Ant tips on how to approach this ? Also thepace of the piece is very fast , would you be expected to play it at this pace in an exam ?

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

It's not too difficult - just take it apart, hands separately and then put it back together one bar at a time with both hands.

The pace isn't VERY quick either - if you play it too fast in the exam you'll probably get marked down for it. You want it to sound fluent not hurried.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Samantha4

Seres wrote: »
    Have been doin this piece for the last few weeks and i seem to be making same misakes despite taking these parts out and practicing them . Ant tips on how to approach this ? Also thepace of the piece is very fast , would you be expected to play it at this pace in an exam ?

Thanks

Hi, just saw your post. What's the underlying reason for your making the errors? Is it technical, rhythmic? How you fix the problem will depend completely on your working that out.

You mention the tempo: if it's supposed to be played as Allegro/Very Fast, you would have to build it up gradually over the course of a few weeks. In other words, it's a no-no to be playing a piece as Allegro if it's several weeks/ months before the exam. You might have to give me some more details on that one for me to work it out. A lot depends on the amount of time you have, i.e., the time frame; the grade; the amount of practice you are doing, etc.

You could also try:
    1. Learn the piece off by heart, hands sep., slowed down.
    2. Change the rhythm of the tricky passages - sep. hands is a must. For example, it it's four notes that are giving you trouble, play note 1-2 as a demisemiquaver-semiq., and then play notes 3,4 as semiquavers as well. Then do the same with note 2 i.e., play as a demisemiquaver. Then same with notes 3, 4 etc., regardless of the actual original rhythm. THEN play it again exactly the way it is meant to be played. I guarantee you will notice a big difference.

You would have to tell me (i) the exact bars that you were having difficulty with (ii) the grade/level for me to help you more on this!:)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Samantha4 wrote: »
    2. Change the rhythm of the tricky passages - sep. hands is a must. For example, it it's four notes that are giving you trouble, play note 1-2 as a demisemiquaver-semiq., and then play notes 3,4 as semiquavers as well. Then do the same with note 2 i.e., play as a demisemiquaver. Then same with notes 3, 4 etc., regardless of the actual original rhythm. THEN play it again exactly the way it is meant to be played. I guarantee you will notice a big difference.

Definitely true - cello teacher tried this with me before. First I'd ever heard of it and it did the job

Advertisement