Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Covid-XIX Part VI - 90 cases ROI (1 death) 29 in NI (as of 13 March) *Read OP*

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭statesaver

Cw85 wrote: »
    Sneezing like mad all evening, pray for me

Thoughts and prayers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

is_that_so wrote: »
    It would be great to see us bucking that trend but as he keeps saying, a lot is still unknown about this virus.

Exactly, but what we do know is that in most countries it follows the same trend. So gey ahead of the curve

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭Abba987

Not a symptom apparently

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

Maxpfizer wrote: »
    I get that but if Merkel is predicting 58 million infections then there is a clear issue regarding the timescale for such numbers.

It makes it sound like the health system will inevitably become overwhelmed no matter what.

58 million cases over 5 years is still just under 1 million per month.
    It's ludicrous to think that could be handled.

So there is mixed messages there.

We even have people saying that China has it under control now.
    So these predictions of tens of millions of cases are what? Scaremongering?

The question would be if the health system can handle X cases then how long does the period of restrictions need to be to makes sure that the number of cases doesn't go too far above X?
    BloodBath wrote: »
    There is almost no basis for any of those numbers.

It's frankly irresponsible of world leaders to be using them without some sort of context.

I honestly don't know if this is a wind up. Everyone is entitled to an opinion but I believe that it should be weighted when it comes to questions of facts, like science, medicine engineering etc.

So I'll add Angela Merkel to the list of people who've got this all wrong. As this rolls on I'm starting to think it is a wind up.
    • epidimiologists
    • World Leaders
    • Doctors
    • Mathematicians
    • Twitter
    • Maths
    • Probability
    • Science

I asked a question a couple of threads back when you commented that some guy is a moron (an epidemiologist) and I didn't hear back.

What do you know that the whole world doesn't? Serious question.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,245 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Holohan
    Cases imported from Austria

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,701 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

saabsaab wrote: »
    Passed by a few Italians today seemed very excited about something.

Were they sweaty?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,505 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Ficheall wrote: »
    43 out of 2300 iirc.

Also, can someone confirm he's just said if A in Ireland passes it to B in Ireland, they're not calling that community transmission because they know how B got it? Is that how it's defined?

Local transmission is when they can trace who you got it from, community means they dont have a clue. So you could be community and recategorised as local later I guess! Obviously from travel is the 3rd option.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,437 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

So one case of the virus was travel from Austria.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭Cw85

Stheno wrote: »
    Are you snotty?

Nope just wheezy as I have asthma

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭ITman88

Tomrota wrote: »
    Again, welcome to Ireland under Fine Gael. Laissez-faire Economics is more important than the people of this country. It’s going to cause more economic damage when we end up like Italy.

There’s always a clown with political ramblings

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Lillyfae

I'm in the Netherlands, Brabant to be specific. About 500 cases in the country and almost half here. The spread since last week has been exponential. The provincial government had advised to stay at home if experiencing symptoms for 24 hours after symptoms had abated last Friday. On Monday we were told to work from home if possible. On Tuesday we were told that companies should make arrangements for as many staff as possible to work from home and events with more than 1000 people should be cancelled. We've been told that daycare and schools will remain open at all costs, even utilising volunteers if necessary because they want to avoid the risk of grandparents being drafted in to help with childcare. Children and healthy adults under 50 may experience a mild or serious cold, elderly or infirm people need to be protected.

I'm annoyed with my work tbh. I ordinarily work from home once or twice a week, as do the colleagues in my department, but there are other departments where people could or do work from home sporadically who don't seem to have been given the same freedom of choice as we have. Our site manager has written a couple of wishy washy "in agreement with your manager" type emails. I don't think this is enough.

I ordinarily take a train to work. I've been working from home since Monday and I'm not returning until things look a little more hopeful.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

Mr.S wrote: »
    But it was classed as a pandemic :confused:

I guess I think we're all ****ed and I keep thinking of the Spanish flu.

Were 1.9M people infected in Ireland back then?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

Graces7 wrote: »
    "The economy" should and at one time did exist to support the people ie for human life. "Money is now their god." and " the love of money is the root of all evil." come to mind.

When was that? workers right, welfare etc only really became established after ww2. People do have rose tinted view of the past.
    Human life was dirt cheap in years gone by.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭ArchXStanton

You should be calling the priest to administer last rights

• Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭KWAG2019

I honestly don't know if this is a wind up. Everyone is entitled to an opinion but I believe that it should be weighted when it comes to questions of facts, like science, medicine engineering etc.

So I'll add Angela Merkel to the list of people who've got this all wrong. As this rolls on I'm starting to think it is a wind up.
    • epidimiologists
    • World Leaders
    • Doctors
    • Mathematicians
    • Twitter
    • Maths
    • Probability
    • Science

I asked a question a couple of threads back when you commented that some guy is a moron (an epidemiologist) and I didn't hear back.

What do you know that the whole world doesn't? Serious question.

Just hit ignore.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Abba987 wrote: »
    Not a symptom apparently

Youd swear I was Typhoid Mary's sister with the looks I got in the office after I sneezed the other day

• Registered Users Posts: 4,840 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

I made a point a few pages back, shouldn't we be seeing people presenting to hospitals with breathing difficulties and mild to severe symptoms included in the figures at this stage if it's out there and spreading?

Maybe we are who knows?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Mr.S wrote: »
    But it was classed as a pandemic :confused:
    Yeah it spread to a whole lot of countries but killed about 0.01–0.08% of those infected. Mots deaths were in Africa and SE Asia.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Jim_Hodge wrote: »
    Only 99 cases in Canada from 39million of a population. Their daily number of cases topped 20 today. It's only starting to take hold there and still very early days for them.

Your post is inaccurate./out of date by a long way. Folk who live there know differently. It has been gaining ground a while now. So much suffering. Why post inaccuracy when I had listed what was going on from daily calls to actual Canadians? Makes no sense does it... ? As they say " Lies, lies damned lies and statistics!"

Over and out from me on this. This is a difficult time for my family . So much suffering and I cannot be there to support them. So please. over and out as my tears flow free now. Thank you and bless you

• Registered Users Posts: 31,829 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

This could be one of the biggest scandals this state has ever seen
    How so? What is the scandal?
    It's a pandemic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

A lot of governemnts are just playing catch up now. The very day most countries introduce any kind of measures to prevent travel to and from Italy dozens of cases worldwide pop up of tourists becoming infected after travelling to Spain, France, Germany, Switzerland, USA, Egypt, UK, and more.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,437 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Speak Now wrote: »
    Local transmission is when they can trace who you got it from, community means they dont have a clue. So you could be community and recategorised as local later I guess! Obviously from travel is the 3rd option.

I mean the one case in cork where they there were unable to confirm how the person got it, they did say at that stage they hadn’t confirmed a source for it. Which didn’t mean they subsequently found a link.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,064 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

This could be one of the biggest scandals this state has ever seen

Scandal?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭LRNM

Lads....donated blood has to be tested also.

Everyone go give blood!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,443 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭ITman88

joe40 wrote: »
    When was that? workers right, welfare etc only really became established after ww2. People do have rose tinted view of the past.
    Human life was dirt cheap in years gone by.

Yeah people don’t realise we have until now lived the most privileged lives in history.
    It’s over now, society is breaking down

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Maxpfizer wrote: »
    It's quite the knot to be tied up in.

It would be nice if my excess death is not simply to prop up the economy.
    Yet also I need a healthy economy to prop up my nice retirement.

As if we haven't all spend years, decades even, enjoying goods provided through more or less slave labor, kids working in horrendous conditions and all kinds of assorted death, destruction, inequality and brutal, absolutely brutal, levels of unfairness.

NOW it's a problem though. I see.
    Someone implied that MY life isn't priceless so now THAT is a problem.

No doubt that poster was harsh and cold and shocking to read.
    Now that it's on our doorstep someone stating the cold harsh truth is a "scummer" etc.

It's hilarious that anyone in Ireland now can suddenly be outraged that "the economy" is being held up as more important than human life. It's been that way for decades! We just refused to see.

Now someone tells the truth and everyone acts like it's that specific poster who's the bad guy!

It's all of us. This is the world we live in.

I wish you good health and hope that you have a wonderful retirement.
    Let's not pretend though that the luxuries you will enjoy once this all blows over are manufactured in some idyllic fantasy land by happy contented workers. They ain't.

I wouldn't blame that poster for simply stating the truth, as terrible as it is.

Oh dear.. this has nothing to do with that post of course .

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Nope just wheezy as I have asthma

Sneezing is not a major symptom dry cough temperature are

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

ITman88 wrote: »
    Yeah people don’t realise we have until now lived the most privileged lives in history.
    It’s over now, society is breaking down

How long until a total breakdown?
    No electricity and no shops open?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement