Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Covid-XIX Part VI - 90 cases ROI (1 death) 29 in NI (as of 13 March) *Read OP*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Tippex

Holy **** the NBA has announced they are cancelling the season.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

Its snowing in Dublin btw

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Asian vs USD currency markets currently falling off a cliff.

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭Pseudonym121

If Trump includes ROI, he’s obviously asking us to choose between EU or US multinationals.

No, this is for domestic consumption as part of his “blame the foreigners” defence as this will become catastrophic in America before the election in November 2020.

I’ve been talking to colleagues in the US and they are estimating somewhere between 500,000 to 5 Million dead there over the next year depending on the steps taken by the US government.

It isn’t an existential threat to humanity or the US but it sure as hell is to Trump’s re-election prospects, which is pretty much all he cares about.

One interesting question which I’ve been wondering about tonight: With both of the presumptive candidates being in their 70s and thus a high risk of them dying if they catch COVID-19 what happens if, after they are nominated as their party’s candidate, they die during the campaign but prior to the election?

Does their Vice-Presidential Candidate step into be the Presidential Nominee? Obviously Pence would step up to be president but would he also be the Presidential Nominee for the Republicans or would it go to whichever Republican challenger finished second in the delegate count?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I think trump has finally proven his stupidity,i feel sorry for the american people with this bufoon in charge of their country.he lets the idiotic brits in but no other country?

He took action in fairness perhaps not the right action but he acted

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,796 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

BLIZZARD7 wrote: »

Much? Cant be arsed to get out of bed.

Tom Hanks and wife in hospital in gold coast Queensland

No further info but Aussie news has it on the news bottom ribbon with 'coronavirus breaking'. So looks like thats why.

Asx tanked after Trump's announcement.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭GM228

The AA pilot was briefed before the rest of the world?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Cupatae

Turtwig wrote: »
    Fair point. It does also help convey to his citizens that this is serious.

it ll be interesting to see who's lead our sheep of leaders will follow now.. Europe or america.

wonder how bad it ll have to get here before we risk losing a few quid and take decisive action.

GM228 wrote: »

Wouldn't surprise me at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

Are we heading for the Great Depression?

fritzelly wrote: »
    Christ, washing your hands is not gonna stop you having the chance to catch the virus, it's only part of the preventative measures.
    Same post telling everyone over 65 you're screwed and probably gonna die

*sigh* there’s stuff health care professionals can do and there’s stuff joe public can do. Sure handwashing won’t “stop” anyone getting it but on a population level it WILL slow the spread and that will save lives.

As to people over 65 being screwed... Only if we get to a point where the HSE is overwhelmed and runs out of ventilators. So, if you don’t want the over 65s to be screwed then DO the hand washing and social isolation etc to give us the best chance of not being overwhelmed.

FFS! Attitudes like yours will kill people going forward.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

No, this is for domestic consumption as part of his “blame the foreigners” defence as this will become catastrophic in America before the election in November 2020.

I’ve been talking to colleagues in the US and they are estimating somewhere between 500,000 to 5 Million dead there over the next year depending on the steps taken by the US government.

It isn’t an existential threat to humanity or the US but it sure as hell is to Trump’s re-election prospects, which is pretty much all he cares about.

One interesting question which I’ve been wondering about tonight: With both of the presumptive candidates being in their 70s and thus a high risk of them dying if they catch COVID-19 what happens if, after they are nominated as their party’s candidate, they die during the campaign but prior to the election?

Does their Vice-Presidential Candidate step into be the Presidential Nominee? Obviously Pence would step up to be president but would he also be the Presidential Nominee for the Republicans or would it go to whichever Republican challenger finished second in the delegate count?

I think from my extensive reading of us political fiction novels is that if Trump died Pence would take over but they would have to start again with the election process

May be wrong as their system is incredibly complicated

I can't believe Tom ****. He was always a hero, and he'll show the world he'll come through it. But if her dies then what hope have we

giphy.gif

Tom can blow up a tiger tank with a pistol, the virus will be easy work.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

GM228 wrote: »

Usually the airlines would gets the heads up for something like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,625 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

I'd gladly choose to live to see it, a lot of people won't see this great depression.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,198 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

If this ban is not immediately relaxed or watered down then yes, we will all be in serious economic trouble.

Get some exercise, try to eat and sleep well and keep your mind occupied and social contact by phone, you'll get through it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭05eaftqbrs9jlh

skimpydoo wrote: »
    A few days ago somebody posted on here about Leo out and about in a gay bar whilst this cluster**** is going on around us. Here is a photo of Leo on that night in a restaurant near that gay bar and he is not keeping the recommended social distance.

I posted that, there's no photo in that link but a lot of people gave me sh!t for it saying I was spreading rumours. But this was my point, he's a buffoon not taking it seriously and now we'll probably be saddled with all the other English speaking cunce in the world bringing viral loads in by the Ryanair plane-full.

An bhfuil aon seans a bhfuil Gaeilge ag einne níos mó?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,094 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Tippex wrote: »
    Holy **** the NBA has announced they are cancelling the season.

2 players have tested positive

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

How many days til Christmas?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,064 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Need to get some sleep. The last few hours have been positively dystopian.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Stheno wrote: »
    I think from my extensive reading of us political fiction novels is that if Trump died Pence would take over but they would have to start again with the election process

May be wrong as their system is incredibly complicated

Completely incorrect. If the President can no longer serve, the VP takes over.

As it is more than halfway through the current term, he could also be re-elected twice. It's the only way a US President can serve more than two terms outside of a world war.

If this ban is not immediately relaxed or watered down then yes, we will all be in serious economic trouble.

What sort of trouble will we be in if the virus is given free reign to spread? for the time being i think the right call is to put the economy on the back burner and tackle the virus.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,183 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

How many days til Christmas?

288!

Ask in the Christmas forum. I'm obsessed.

Well, you can expect this to be as bad as 2007 for sure. I mean, it isn’t even going to peak for a couple of months yet so if you think it is bad now the statistics say it will get many multiples worse before it gets better.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

It's all fairly mad lads isn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,674 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Tom Hanks and wife in hospital in gold coast Queensland

No further info but Aussie news has it on the news bottom ribbon with 'coronavirus breaking'. So looks like thats why.

Asx tanked after Trump's announcement.

https://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/culture/movies/tom-hanks-and-wife-rita-wilson-diagnosed-with-coronavirus-in-australia-20200312-p549dj.html

• Registered Users Posts: 4,840 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

BLIZZARD7 wrote: »
    Yep snow falling in Dublin 2 by the quays in the Silicon Docks area.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Cupatae wrote: »
    What sort of trouble will we be in if the virus is given free reign to spread? for the time being i think the right call is to put the economy on the back burner and tackle the virus.

That is decision every government makes once they get the growth. And the time difference from 'let's not be hasty' to 'ok **** this' is 2 - 3 weeks.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement